The food thread

Seems the european brook lamprey made a recovery and is not endangered anymore.
Admittedly my info was 30 years old but it is not often that species recover so I'm glad I was wrong!

Back in the old, old days a bunch of lamprey was the preferred bait to catch Huchen which sadly remain endangered.
Hucho hucho, Huchen : fisheries, aquaculture, gamefish
No idea if there is a similar fish in North America. Kinda like a large salmon which remains in freshwater all its life.

I think Walleyes are pretty much identical to Zander.
Zander are not indigenous to the UK. They have been introduced in the '60s and spread rapidly.

but they went through massive die-offs that littered the shoreline with tons and tons of fish and rendered beaches on Lake Michigan totally unusable for recreation.

The smell reached well inland. Last time I was in town I noticed fresh pike in the stores, I have to admit I have not closely followed the situation with the lake fauna for years. My mother was not into fresh fish and I used to annoy her by going to funky neighborhood stores to get fresh lake fish.

The smell reached well inland. Last time I was in town I noticed fresh pike in the stores, I have to admit I have not closely followed the situation with the lake fauna for years. My mother was not into fresh fish and I used to annoy her by going to funky neighborhood stores to get fresh lake fish.

We used to fish off the Elyria Waterworks Pier and catch perch, small-mouth bass and sheepshead. Would give the sheephead (1) to the retired steel and Ford guys. As the sun started to set you could catch perch with just about any type of gear off the beach.

As a kid, my mother never made anything resembling a fresh fish, even in Lent.

(1) just learned that this fish more common name is "drum", and that our name from it is of Canadian origin which wouldn't be surprising in Northern Ohio.

We used to fish off the Elyria Waterworks Pier and catch perch, small-mouth bass and sheepshead. Would give the sheephead (1) to the retired steel and Ford guys. As the sun started to set you could catch perch with just about any type of gear off the beach.

As a kid, my mother never made anything resembling a fresh fish, even in Lent.

(1) just learned that this fish more common name is "drum", and that our name from it is of Canadian origin which wouldn't be surprising in Northern Ohio.

Try to find anyone on the east coast that knows how to play sheepshead.

Jesuits took lunch, anyone else remember the 2 cent milk, the machine gave change for a nickle?

My mother 'enjoyed' a time at a boarding school run by nuns.
I think she learned her lesson as my upbringing was decidedly secular/atheist.
One of the school days I started 45minutes later as I was not taking part in religious studies which wasn't a proper subject in german schools anyway.
Even if you took part it didn't count towards anything and didn't appear in end of the year reports.