The food thread

Aus Kultha With A Capital K....

That's the price on Maine lobster this week. Fine meal in less than posh surroundings (but it was waterfront).
Those Maine lobsters are quite different to the local rock lobster and look much more like our local freshwater crayfish.
The salties are quite good but for me a pound or three of australian prawns is a better feed.....there's not much more satisfiying than sitting in a coastal pub beer garden peeling prawns and washing them down with a few coldies - Chunder in the Old Pacific Sea

Dan.

Those Maine lobsters are quite different to the local
Dan.

Cold sea water lobster in fact does not taste even remotely like crayfish and grow to well over 10 kilos at times. Our crayfish eat a lot of river muck sort of like carp. Since the warm water spiny lobster from Florida was so different than the one I had in Curacao or Hawaii, I can't comment. A family from down under was there, they had no worries. :D Remember it'a all good.;)

...there's not much more satisfiying than sitting in a coastal pub beer garden peeling prawns and washing them down with a few coldies [/URL]

Dan.
Yes we do agree, these were from the China Sea getting closer.

Attachments

• food2.jpg
    food2.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 88
No, none of that fancy restaurant stuff.
Just buy a bag of cooked prawns wrapped in white butchers paper, open the parcel up on the beer garden bench and hoe in.
As a kid I was taught how to peel prawns faster than anybody else ;).

Aus Tiger prawns are probably the pick for taste vs size.
Big Banana prawns with salt, pepper and lemon juice (avocado or Camembert optional) go one to a fresh cut sandwich.
Always go for the wild caught ones....farmed are tasteless in comparison.
The Asian farmed prawns are soft and taste muddy......avoid.

Dan.

Wow, 15$ per kg lobster. They look very good indeed.
That was mates rates....normal retail is more like $60.00 kg.
And yes they were very nice....expertly cooked on the barbie by my Chef sister.
crayfish.jpg
Here, we get this stuff for 35.-/kg, Asian prawns, taste mediocre, but the hot thai sauce cover the taste somewhat
We pay around $20.00 for asian farmed prawns, and $20.00 to $30.00 for Aus wild caught prawns...much superior.

Dan.

So we had to add some aussie lamb chops at 65 bucks per kg, chicken legs and a really delicious greek salad from local producers.
Its too hot for cooking here, so we mainly do a grill, at sunday BBQ when there is enough time.
Aussie lamb is around $15.00 kg for lamb leg roasts, $18.00 for chops.
The other week the local supermarket had lamb legs for $9.00 kg.

Dan.

No, none of that fancy restaurant stuff.

Dan.

Not that fancy, those were live, wild, and huge (one per person).

We can still get fresh wild caught Gulf of Mexico shrimp up to 6 per pound size but now your getting into the $30+ a pound range. The 16-18 size run more like $20 a pound 3X the farm raised ones this week. Looks like the Aussie/Kiwi lamb is about 2x here, our local lamb is sometimes another 50% more.

I can get Aussie lamb at a good price if I buy in bulk, bought 9 whole saddles once at $6 a pound.

Last edited:
Holy Cow, here an Aussie$ is 0,7 CHF, so its again 30 % cheaper in down under.
And prices here are for standard quality, nothing special.
Your crays look in a way making me hungry

Frank
My sister was over here from the eastern states so the crays and truffles were a special treat from me to her....provided that she do the cooking lol.
The crays are good, but I prefer prawns for value and taste.

I am just back from the local supermarket and bought green (uncooked) green large sized King prawns for $15.00 kg.
Now peeled they are about to go on the barbie with tuna steaks and seafood marinara mix (white fish pieces, salmon pieces, mussels, calamari).
Just an easy simple meal with coconut cream/madras curry paste sauce and veges...yum.

Dan.

Last edited:
As a kid I was taught how to peel prawns faster than anybody else

Me a pound of North-Sea prawns in an hour, smallest of all prawns, 250-300/lb.

Peeled ones are 4 times the cost of unpeeled, even higher in the past.
They used to be peeled by home workers, whole villages peeling cooked prawns at the kitchen table every day.
Cost of home peeling became too high in the late '70s, peeled/unpeeled factor went through the roof.
By 1980, prawn suppliers had them peeled in Poland.
In the '90s, hour wage level in Poland had risen considerably, and prawn peeling was transferred to Morocco.
Automated prawn peeling machines have become quite sophisticated over the last decade.
The latest model arrived about a year ago, peels a ton of prawn a day, over half a million prawns.
Expectation is that within five years from now, prawns which came in on the boat in the morning, can be lying peeled on a plate in the afternoon.

Attachments

• detailpelmach-persbericht.jpg
    detailpelmach-persbericht.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 62

When I was in Struer Dk a restaurant emptied a can of those onto a piece of lettuce and called it shrimp cocktail and they say only Americans do this stuff.

We have a local ban on ours this year due to warming of the water killing off their food supply.

Last edited:
Me, just now 652g of green large banana prawns for $9.78, iow 26 in about 5 minutes, I reckon on less than half that time for cooked ones.
That's a good effort of yours, but so much time /effort for so little reward.
I have tasted those teeny little North Sea shrimps in Denmark....the Aus wild caught ones are far better imho.
Peeled ones are 4 times the cost of unpeeled, even higher in the past.
They used to be peeled by home workers, whole villages peeling cooked prawns at the kitchen table every day.
Cost of home peeling became too high in the late '70s, peeled/unpeeled factor went through the roof.
By 1980, prawn suppliers had them peeled in Poland.
In the '90s, hour wage level in Poland had risen considerably, and prawn peeling was transferred to Morocco.
Automated prawn peeling machines have become quite sophisticated over the last decade.
The latest model arrived about a year ago, peels a ton of prawn a day, over half a million prawns.
Expectation is that within five years from now, prawns which came in on the boat in the morning, can be lying peeled on a plate in the afternoon.
I always wondered how prawns got peeled, thanks for that info.
That modern peeling machine looks quite serious....I'm glad I don't have to maintain it !.

Dan.

Not that fancy....
I can't say that I have been to a restaurant with a twin seater thunderbox.

We can still get fresh wild caught Gulf of Mexico shrimp up to 6 per pound size but now your getting into the $30+ a pound range. The 16-18 size run more like $20 a pound 3X the farm raised ones this week.
The green bananas I bought tonight were 18 to the pound for AUS $6.80/lb, expect 50% more for cooked ones.

Looks like the Aussie/Kiwi lamb is about 2x here, our local lamb is sometimes another 50% more.
Ouch....Lamb used to be really cheap here, food for the workers, but supermarket prices have crept up to being dearer than T-Bone/Rump for the better lamb cuts.

I can get Aussie lamb at a good price if I buy in bulk, bought 9 whole saddles once at $6 a pound.
I just took a look at bulk prices, not too bad - lamb direct

Tonights whip up on the barbie....I could have put more effort into the presentation, but who cares, it went down choice.
banana prawns.jpg

Dan.