The food thread

Missed these.

Brinig in a plastic bag ???
Yes, food grade. It gets put in the water bath so I can lower the temperature with ice without diluting the brine.
BTW -hot or cold smoke? Never heard of smoked turkey legs
Hot smoke for about 10 hours.
Smoked cod, herring, reindeer is more natural up here...
Those are popular here as well.
Fiddlehead season is here
My favourite season even though last year, I found out why you have to pay attention to the instructions and not skimp on the pre-cooking. Nasty bit of work that toxin is.
Cal How did the turkey legs turn out?
Awesome, but they are all gone. I usually do at least one batch a year.

Snack time. Nuts & bolts.
Dry ingedients
Butter
Worcestershire
Hot sauce
C'soned salt

Roast at 250-275 for an hour or so, turning every 20 minutes.

Attachments

• IMG_0328.jpg
    IMG_0328.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 139
Joined 2011
Paid Member
World's Most Destructive Food Revealed

Ok all you foodies, I recently became aware of this and thought I would let you all know. Like me, many of you not only love food, but you also seem concerned about eating good, healthy food.

At a recent health and nutrition conference, a Doctor gave a lecture about what foods are most detrimental to our health. He started by discussing how industrial meat is full of toxins, dies, hormones, etc. and then moved onto the subject of refined sugar, and of course he talked at length about trans-fat's link to cancer.

But then he stated that there is one food that makes all of these other foods pale in comparison. He said that this food, after only taking a few bites, has lasting effects that can alter your life more than you can imagine. He then asked the audience "Does anyone here today know what that food is?"

A gentleman about 70-years old put up his hand, and when asked for his answer, he quietly said....

Wedding cake.

Last edited:
chowing down for lunch on yummy leftovers from last night

Quinoa, Tofu, Carrot, Zucchini& Broccoli in Thai peanut sauce - actually not as horrible as it sounds

who am I'm trying to kid? it has all the flavour (none) and nutrition (apparently lots) you'd think

there is a less polite way to say it - what a guy does to preserve connubial bliss

chowing down for lunch on yummy leftovers from last night

Quinoa, Tofu, Carrot, Zucchini& Broccoli in Thai peanut sauce - actually not as horrible as it sounds

who am I'm trying to kid? it has all the flavour (none) and nutrition (apparently lots) you'd think

there is a less polite way to say it - what a guy does to preserve connubial bliss

The meal may contain 'all the nutrition' but it won't necessarily deliver it to the body.
Tofu (soy) contains enzymes which stop the body from taking up vitamins and others (or may be the same) which are oestrogen analogues.
I have heard that one cup of soy milk has an effect on the male body similar to taking one birth-cotrol pill.

The labour-intensive traditional ways of making tofu and soy sauce break down some of those enzymes but modern, industrial processes do not.

Soy in any form should not be consumed regularly by anybody.

Soy in any form should not be consumed regularly by anybody.

That is absolute nonsense. The phytoestrogens have little to no effect on most people, a negative effect on a very few people, and a positive effect on a very few people. See Heather Patisaul's superb work in this area. A good start is her review in Frontiers in Neuroendocrinology, 31 (2010) 400–419.