The food thread

Amazing isn't it

Restaurant kitchens here that don't need a mixer every single day, have the all-metal Pro line models. For HD use, it's Hobart (bakeries) or Robot Coupe.

I went through various hand blenders, cheap ones fell apart in a week, $100+ ones within a couple of months.
After a period of nightly visions on pushing the blade in while in a hurry, with the plug still in the socket, I swapped out my wallet for bed rest plus fingers and got me a Robot lifer.

Restaurant kitchens here that don't need a mixer every single day, have the all-metal Pro line models. For HD use, it's Hobart (bakeries) or Robot Coupe.

I went through various hand blenders, cheap ones fell apart in a week, $100+ ones within a couple of months.
After a period of nightly visions on pushing the blade in while in a hurry, with the plug still in the socket, I swapped out my wallet for bed rest plus fingers and got me a Robot lifer.

When my son does his whole pig sausage party he rents a full sized Hobart. I'm proud in a way I turned a couple of my kids into hard core foodies, he invites 20-30 people over and we make a dozen or so batches (20lb) of sausage from around the world from scratch and divide up everything by time invested.

Last edited:
Dinner tonight, by myself a little multicultural experimentation. Braised lamb shanks, I took a hint from the Greeks and used a little cinnamon bark (real Ceylon). Braised cabbage with mustard, ale, apple, and onion. Topfenknödel made with some homemade clabbered keffir.

Attachments

• dinner.jpg
    dinner.jpg
    220.3 KB · Views: 123
Scott -- my youngest son also makes sausage (kielbasa) w the Hobart! we also get the chuck from Costco and combine w sirloin to make the best flame-burgers the world has known.

I use the flat pasta rollers to make crusciki at Easter. You can roll the dough until its translucent.

The best place to purchase a good vintage kitchen-aid/Hobart is the goodwill store. These things don't go to heaven, they go to goodwill.

Pork loin Schnitzel.
125 gr. pork loin beaten into submission, seasoned, floured, egg dipped and battered in corn flakes. Quick fried in Olive oil.

Attachments

• IMG_0115.jpg
    IMG_0115.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0114.jpg
    IMG_0114.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0113.jpg
    IMG_0113.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_0112.jpg
    IMG_0112.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_0111.jpg
    IMG_0111.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_0110.jpg
    IMG_0110.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 91
Suck on my Hot Chocolate Balls.
Aka a variety twist of our national snack, the bitterbal(l).

Regulars are 90% stock flavored ragout and 10% stewed beef parts on the interior.
These are next to all meat inside after the deepfrying, stewed onions next, the ragout sauce is only used as a binder.
Garlic, parsley, and lots of chilli.

(highest kroket/bitterball consumption area is the Caribbean, bitterballs at every party, happy hour, cocktail or otherwise. A snack shop at every corner, 600+ sneks on 170 square miles)

Attachments

• Ragout.JPG
    Ragout.JPG
    266 KB · Views: 42
  • Ball.JPG
    Ball.JPG
    223.4 KB · Views: 43
Joined 2011
Paid Member
I made my famous (with friends and family) "Hare Pie" for a dinner party on Saturday night.

Of course I always get laughs when I answer the question "what's for dinner?", but then when they taste it they aren't laughing any more.

Last night was Sweet and Sour pressure-cooked Hare and tonight I will probably make pressure-cooked Italian-Style Hare Stew alla Cacciatora, or maybe Sardinian Hare Stew with black olives and saffron.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Do you pluck your hares by hand ?

Yes. Well, sort of. I shoot them, and then skin them, gut them and butcher them by hand. We have eaten 51 of them since Sept 1 and surely we will eat at least 50 more between now and April 30. Only harvested one Mule Deer so far this season, so hares, hares, and more hares. We do not eat industrial meat.

I can post video links of me demonstrating my methods, if you care to see them.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Please do. Would love to see some pics of the pie too!

OK. First I have to warn people not to view these videos if they are offended by the sight of dead animals, or the processing of dead animals, or the butchering of meat from dead animals.

Skinning and gutting:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cl57NFyqH70

Processing/deboning:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=620Jr024ICk

I have attached a pic of the pie (actually a pic of a hare pie that I made some time ago).

Attachments

• IMG-20121121-00024.jpg
    IMG-20121121-00024.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 78
I just realised there's an advantage to having a brother/sister in law, who bought a 2nd home near Marseille and spend half each month there.

Aah, the joy of delayed birthday presents.
(I'll spare you the view of an eight ounce can of foie gras with truffles, so mundane)
As I finally got the hot tub up and running yesterday (without losing a digit), daddy-o is gonna have a multi-stage orgy.

Attachments

• WildThing.JPG
    WildThing.JPG
    451.7 KB · Views: 62
Last edited: