The FF85K Sprite

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I tend to concur... the extra top the FF85 has (FF85KeN in my case) really fills things in. I'm working on adding a supertweeter to my FonkenPrime system in an attempt to bring the more dynamic Fonken+woof system closer to Tysen in those places where Tysen has an edge.

We also have parts for the MJK baffle variation.

dave

indeed, tons more parts and ideas than there'll ever be time for

literally - until you've seen someone like Dave's or Daniel's storage area, you don't know what "tons" means :mischiev:

After adding Visaton damping material on the walls of speaker's cabinets the sound changed a lot, at first i thought that sound was bad with damping, some aliveness of sound had disappeared, but after few day of listening i can say that this aliveness covered a lot of music material, now i'm hearing more details, and the bass is lower and more fundamental, more natural, the tonal balance is a lot better too. Now i can listen to the speakers when power is around 5W and the sound is not very sharp and disturbing.
The top and one side is-not glued yet, they are just pressed :)

The Sprites are back in service! Breaking in another pair of FF85k's!

Saw dust is building up on the driveway as I work on a pair of MJK OB's. Counting the Sprites, this will be my fourth pair of speakers in this building season. I though I could stop at two. My wife is beginning to ask where I plan to put all these things. :eek:

:cloud9:
Jim

Speakers make great Christmas Presents :) Pick the best of the lot for your home and give away the rest.

Indeed! Which is why one pair went to our daughter and son-in-law. And I did give my brother a pair of commercial speakers that I had placed in storage.

But there are some problems here as well:

-- not everyone is interested in audio; and not everyone appreciates the appearance of these speakers.

-- not everyone has the associated electronics to drive a pair of SFR speakers; in my experience, they can sound dreadful with poor upstream components; if you don't believe this, stop by & I'll hook up a Radio Shack Accurian amp, which makes my SFR speakers unlistenable.

-- Giving one relative a present that cost $600 while giving others modest gifts may lead to strife. :mad:

Cheers, Jim

>- Giving one relative a present that cost $600 while giving others modest gifts may lead to strife. <

Jim, even worse: giving them a pair you´ve built and it´s a bleeping lot better than their mega$$$ Very Important Brand contraption - family vendettas have been kindled by lesser insults.:D

>- Giving one relative a present that cost $600 while giving others modest gifts may lead to strife. <

Jim, even worse: giving them a pair you´ve built and it´s a bleeping lot better than their mega$$$ Very Important Brand contraption - family vendettas have been kindled by lesser insults.:D

or when dueling siblings (sisters in my case) ask to pay "the going rate" for "something special, that you think suits our situation" - they may each end up with a suitable piece for the application, but try to get them to understand the reasons for that

oh, now I see, this is what it's all about Chris - you really did always like her best :eek:

It's been my experience that the ember for such a vendetta was simmering for decades, and only needs a gentle breeze of fresh air to enflame (and the best fireman in the world can never completely extinguish it)

Don´t I know, Chris, don´t I know...Hubby coming home and seeing his "Phantastic Plastic UlraFi" on top of the dustbin, waiting to be collected...German firearms law doesn´t allow me to sleep with a gun under my pillow, but I felt the urge:D. (Pair of Schmacks horns just were a wee bit better - and Heike made sure they stayed)

P1020910.JPG

How do you make those nice looking chamfers around the speaker cutout? Is there any good way to do it without a router?

Before I had a router, I used a jig saw with the blade angled at 45 degrees. I don't know if this capability is typical of jig saws--mine is more than 40 yrs old, and I haven't looked at what they sell now days. And while it is possible to do it with a jig saw, I would seriously consider buying a router--unless you plan to stop after this build and won't ever have a use for it again. I keep finding new uses for my router and would hate to be without it.

Cheers, Jim

How do you make those nice looking chamfers around the speaker cutout? Is there any good way to do it without a router?

I second the router recommendation, a great tool for all kinds of DIY stuff. I have a pair of half finished uFonkens that are on hold for the time being. They are assembled except for the sides. For reasons I can't recall I did not chamfer the driver cut out and regretted it after assembly. I found a wood rasp and some sandpaper can do a pretty good job, just wouldn't want to use that approach with a 10" driver :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.