The "Event Horizon" (an ambiopole)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ha ha :D Wonderful.

Im trying to get my head around this:

Recursive
Ambiophonic
Crosstalk
Elimination

Guess it is a way to send righ-speaker-signal to right-side-ear etc.

Yes, correct.

The algorithm works this way.....
If a signal is radiating from the left speaker, it will be cancelled by the right speaker in opposite phase, but now there is a new opposite phased signal that must be cancelled at the left speaker...it goes on and on back and forth until inaudibility.....hence "Recursive"

But it's not that simple. There is another parameter that must be accounted for, and that's the HRTF. So there are adjustments in the program that delays the cancelled signal because our ears are different distances from the source. Also, the cancelled signal must be attenuated with each cycle to match the loss of amplitude from the distance of the source, there is an adjustment for this as well.

Hey Melo!

CRAZY PROJECT!!!

With all that hookup wire and DSP active xover action...

Have you heard of Don Keele's CBT Arrays?

If not...

YOU ARE GOING TO LOVE THIS MATERIAL

Don Keele's CBT (Constant Beamwidth Transducer) Page

THE CBT MOTHERLOAD

http://www.xlrtechs.com/dbkeele.com/Don's CBT Goodies Zip Download.html

Your design is like in terms of effort like... 80% there to get to CBT performance but without the physics and maths/Legendre functions/shading!

Don and PE put on a lecture about CBT technology as well and it's on youtube. Don's best presentation though is the one in Boston at IEEE.

I haven't heard one yet but just looking at it scientifically it's really really impressive stuff and off axis measurements are just INCREDIBLE as the array behaves like a bloody POINT SOURCE that's like 10 feet long extending through the floor!

JUST INSANE STUFF

My god I want to hear those PE CBTs or better yet a design using highend drivers.

The driver count and active DSP xover really makes this speaker type expensive.

I can envision a small modular chainable Class D with native digital bus between each module being developed that could really make CBTs something.

You could do shading on the DSP level and have a flat front baffle without the curvature right. Remember Legendre shading isn't a FR change bro it's a bloody dB change or simple pad!

It would be so easy to implement if you had a common bus controlled amp at each speaker with DSP. Heck all you'd need is a lower power class D in around 20W max right.

The key here is the digital common bus between each module and the DSP.

I'm amazed JBL is sitting on some of those patents and haven't done **** with it.

PS I have like 10 utility patents flying around in my head regarding cabs and amp modules etc in a mechanical sense for a module speaker design that scales using this technology physically like lego blocks let alone all the DSP patent potentials to take advantage of Don's and the Navy's "Legendre shading".

Hey, thanx :)

Yes, of course I've heard of Keele's CBT arrays.....
but I don't think this project is similar, do you really?
I wanted complete directivity with this project (or as much as I could get)
Hence the full range drivers with the concave shape.
If I implement amplitude shading, it would get away from directivity.
I'm using ambiophonics, so the listener must be in 1 spot for the effect, so I might as well go for high directivity.

Alright everybody, I made a binaural demo of
"The Event Horizon" TM
It's not a great recording, I used a Kodak playtouch....its a little pocket recorder. Its the only one that has stereo mic input. I'm getting a dslr soon so the recordings will be much better.
Well, also it's on youtube soooo........

This is just a demo to display the localization of ambiophonics.

Binaural demo of ambiophonics. - YouTube

I admire your talent and dedication. I use electrostatic panels to do what you are doing and of course use two of them about 20 degrees apart. I think you would get an easier to mangage or more consistent result if you make two of these instead of have one frame do all the work and be stuck with such a narrow angle.

Of course for others on this list with iPads or similar you can use a Jambox or Soundmatters foxL with the Ambiophonic/RACE app and get a fantastic stage with a similar narrow speaker angle. (four inches apart)

Ralph

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.