The "Elsinore Project" Thread

I have a question about the xover on the midbass section of the MK6. Why does the upper midbass have only a single coil in the xover yet the lower midbass has a 6 more xover components on it?

I would think the upper range midbass would have a band pass xover section rather than a single coil to filter out over lap into the lower ranges.

In short...I just want to make sure I understand the schematic...

HDF for the win! WOW!!!

I'm so happy with this I am going to make a new thread but this worked better than I had hoped.

I haven't cut any holes etc yet...but I am sure as long as I let the glue cure long enough it will be no problem.

I did the "knock test" on a single 3/4 in or 18 mm front panel...incredible...it hurts your knuckles to hit this stuff!

I'd like to get it a little straighter but I think I have that solved also!

Look for my post...I haven't made it yet so no title as of right now!....

Just got my second Monarchy SM70 Pro. Now running two of them in monoblock bridging mode. The result, bass is punchier and more extended. Overall a more dynamic presentation. Slightly more detail too. The Elsinore's love them. :)

oh i hear you! after the first evening, i sent him an email letting him know i'd most likely be getting a 2nd this fall. pro'ly will, i mean if i'm thinking about it now, it's not likely that the bug will go away or lessen. that's not how this audio disease works...it's why i'm building a new subwoofer every year it seems.
'this is great, if i could just get a teeny bit more of it....'

cheers,
Scott

Well I haven't gotten a response but I need to know can I increase the box height a couple inches to accommodate the crossover under the box...should I lower the driver placement etc? Basically the cabinet will sit on top of the crossover box...

I have rough cut the panels and I have everything to build the xover and I want to get started.

Hi Clausen

I hope raising the speaker box to allow for the xover underneath does not make too much of a difference as I am doing the same. My understanding is that the tweeter height should relate to the height of the listeners ears. My speakers have been raised 70mm to accommodate the xover. I discussed the chance of resonance with irext who was comfortable with the idea. I figure the extra height can be remove if an unacceptable difference occurs. What's the worst that can happen?

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Well I haven't gotten a response but I need to know can I increase the box height a couple inches to accommodate the crossover under the box...should I lower the driver placement etc? Basically the cabinet will sit on top of the crossover box...

I have rough cut the panels and I have everything to build the xover and I want to get started.

How much higher are you thinking of making them?

Tweeters are ear level at your listening position is a worthy goal.

How much higher are you thinking of making them?

Tweeters are ear level at your listening position is a worthy goal.

I have the rest of the xover components on the way, they will be here in a couple of days but I wouldn't think it would be more than 2 to 3 inches...the less the better.

I would definitely prefer the tweeters at ear level that's why I asked if I could lower the driver placement to accommodate for the extra height.

Once I have everything on hand I'll have a better idea. The 3.9mh coil is on the way and the tweeter caps are huge, probably 2 inches thick. Those I think are the tallest components.

Not sure exactly what you mean.

The shape of the front panel is critical, change it or the drivers relative to any edge of the front panel will change the response and be different from the original modeling, so don't change any driver positions.

If you add height at the very bottom of the box, then it has little difference to using taller spikes etc. So you could putting the crossover there may be OK. But don't add to the internal volume.. But give us an idea how much you want to add? Is this a separate and isolated chamber that does not change the volume?

Cheers, Joe

sorry for cutting in from the side lines, just to give/add credit to Joe's approach in this speaker: I still am enjoying tremendously the "original" Elsinores (mk5 w/Peerless). once broken in and toed in they perform really well. they seem to prefer some amp power though so I am still trying to coerce them to accept a lower wattage classA amp (now adding a sub to help that trade off if at all possible..)

I am not sure what other driver version would make me consider a new (re)build. maybe something like 18Sound 6ND430 (good reviews; see Zaph) or alike pro driver with good perf/cost ratio. since Joe apparently requires that the new work be commissioned that is not likely to happen :(.

Rough Xover layout

Here's a few pictures of a very rough xover layout. Mainly I just wanted to give everyone an idea of the room I have to work with. There is a quarter in the picture for perspective. For you non-US people that is about the size of the inside of a bottle cap!

2 1/2" will give me more than enough room to put the xover under the cabinet!

Attachments

• 20150802_195855.jpg
    20150802_195855.jpg
    308.9 KB · Views: 619
  • 20150802_195924.jpg
    20150802_195924.jpg
    266.3 KB · Views: 594
  • 20150802_200131.jpg
    20150802_200131.jpg
    355.2 KB · Views: 591
Last edited:
Closer to final layout

Hopefully this layout is pretty good. I need to get to work on the cabinets and when I get closer I'll play with this some more.

I'm going to add 2 1/2 inches to height leaving the internal volume the same, with a chamber for the crossover in the foot.

Attachments

• 20150803_172300.jpg
    20150803_172300.jpg
    319.3 KB · Views: 562
I forgot to mention this also, when you are open minded and entertain conflicting notions, sometimes what happens is you PROVE to yourself you WERE right!

But you CANNOT prove you were right without proving you are not WRONG! Sometimes you don't prove you are wrong or right, but at least your understanding is expanded.