The "Elsinore Project" Thread

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Thanks very much for the advice and jig idea!

Francois

No problem

Drill a center hole "straight" through a board so the pin on router circle jig fits in snuggly.
Cut the waveguide opening first and clean out then flip and cut the tweeter
opening.

I made some lines with a square to line up the mounting holes.

The tweeter holes in subfront will need to be enlarged(shallow) to accept the back of screws.

Havent done this yet but thinking I should make the tweeter recess pocket in subfront a little deeper and use a foam gasket to seal behind mounting plate

Hope this makes sense
Joel

Attachments

• DSC_0200.JPG
    DSC_0200.JPG
    709.5 KB · Views: 995
  • DSC_0202.JPG
    DSC_0202.JPG
    667.3 KB · Views: 884
  • DSC_0204.JPG
    DSC_0204.JPG
    713.3 KB · Views: 851
  • DSC_0205.JPG
    DSC_0205.JPG
    637.4 KB · Views: 805
Finally finished crossovers and inserted inside cabinets. I used 22mm MDF cut to size and carved with router to insert passives. Once inside they covered by damping material over the top.

Now it is time for waveguides/horns, I find ready made ones which should serve the purpose in here:WG-300 - Monacor special horn front attachment - wave guide - Europe Audio they are intended for monacor, but size is the same: Any suggestions?

Attachments

• crossover 015.JPG
    crossover 015.JPG
    124.4 KB · Views: 248
  • crossover 014.jpg
    crossover 014.jpg
    233.4 KB · Views: 264
  • crossover 013.jpg
    crossover 013.jpg
    216.1 KB · Views: 759
  • crossover 016.JPG
    crossover 016.JPG
    124.9 KB · Views: 189
Hi Joe,

I have been following this thread for a while and am currently building a set of Elsinore Mk Vs with a work colleague (Ian) who recently passed his crossover PCB artwork to you. I also intend to build 5 of the "Hamlets" to use in conjunction with the Elsinores in a surround setup.
My question is have you worked out the port length and diameter for the Hamlets yet ? and will the hamlets use the same waveguide arrangement with the tweeter that the Elsinores use ?

Many Thanks

Sorry for the delayed reply.

You would be best just to do the Hamlets without the Waveguides.

To do a Mk5 type Hamlet speaker I would need the boxes here with drivers mounted and Waveguide too.

Then there would be several days of work... and the result cannot be guaranteed (it would probably end up OK). And I would like to think the result would be better too. But it comes down to actually doing it. But there are no short-cuts.

I don't have Hamlet port dimensions here. I think Rob323 should have it. Or does somebody else reading this have it. I never did build the Hamlets myself.

You and Ian must be getting close to getting Mk5's ready?

Cheers, Joe R.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Been WAY too long since I have gotten time to advance this project. Unfortunately, life has a way of creeping up on you like that.

Anyway, it was 76F and partly cloudy this morning in Florida. A nice break from the heat and a perfect time to cut and straighten lumber!

Used a circular saw jig for the rough cuts and a set of guides for the router to fashion the end product. Man, I had no idea a router was quite this versatile! In three passes per board with a flush bit, I had perfect boards and each matched the next one exactly. This is enough for the front sub-panels, internal braces and half the back panel for what will be my "internal" box.

Next up is the side panels and then time to start assembling the pieces.

Attachments

• IMG_3022.jpg
    IMG_3022.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 218
  • IMG_3023.jpg
    IMG_3023.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_3026.jpg
    IMG_3026.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 197
  • IMG_3029.jpg
    IMG_3029.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG_3025.jpg
    IMG_3025.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 216
  • IMG_3024.jpg
    IMG_3024.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 203
Joined 2010
Paid Member
Will do.

This is a nice diversion into real woodworking for me. A heck of a lot different than the home improvement variety I typically get (have?) to do.

As for waveguides. I have bought mine from Joel. The quality of the guides Joel is having made is impressive to say the least. Highly recommended.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Took a break from completing Elsinore to build a small extension to my shop so I dont rely on the outside to complete speaker related projects with the changing weather.
Ready to advance my cabinets soon.

Now have 12 painted waveguides for anyone interested.
They now have option of mounting the tweeter to the back with 4mm bolts.

Waveguides shipped to Australia ground are slow and 2 people still waiting from last batch. Xpress is only option now but does cost more. Combining and redistributing is likely best idea

Joe - Your pair will be shipped next week

To do a Mk5 type Hamlet speaker I would need the boxes here with drivers mounted and Waveguide too.

Hamlet- Thinking about the Hamlet upgrade.
Anyone interested in sharing the material cost and shipping cost
for a Hamlet pair with drivers and waveguides and send to
Australia?
I would take this on if the numbers work out and Joe would agree to this.
Shipping is about 200 each as long as the weight is no more than 20kg
Figure need at leat 10 people but 20 is better.
Just an idea!

Thanks, Joel

Joel

Attachments

• DSC_0293.jpg
    DSC_0293.jpg
    743.4 KB · Views: 730
  • DSC_0295.jpg
    DSC_0295.jpg
    769 KB · Views: 690
  • DSC_0305.jpg
    DSC_0305.jpg
    420.8 KB · Views: 651
  • DSC_0303.JPG
    DSC_0303.JPG
    597.1 KB · Views: 643
  • DSC_0298 (2).JPG
    DSC_0298 (2).JPG
    686.2 KB · Views: 623
Joined 2010
Paid Member
Hamlet- Thinking about the Hamlet upgrade.
Anyone interested in sharing the material cost and shipping cost
for a Hamlet pair with drivers and waveguides and send to
Australia?
I would take this on if the numbers work out and Joe would agree to this.
Shipping is about 200 each as long as the weight is no more than 20kg
Figure need at leat 10 people but 20 is better.
Just an idea!

I'm in.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
So, to say Baltic Birch is a hard wood is somewhat obvious. That being said, it is a HARD wood. Routing through MDF is like routing through butter. Birch, well, let's just say it is much. much more challenging.

Took the router to the panels to fashion the internal brace and sub-front panel. Routing the birch panels took far longer than expected due to the multiple pass nature of the process. Still, with the exception of lingering a bit too long in the corners (doh! rookie mistake), it went fine. I got pretty good by the last panel (of course!) :p

Anyway,a couple of shots of the templates in action. They worked well, however, I can see where a more substantial template material would work even better. Looks to be a whole lot of gluing in my immediate future.

Attachments

• IMG_3031.jpg
    IMG_3031.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 241
  • IMG_3033.jpg
    IMG_3033.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 189
  • IMG_3037.jpg
    IMG_3037.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 195
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Routing the birch panels took far longer than expected

Yeh, cutting 24mm birch with table saw is difficult( need to uprgrade the motor) No problem with 25.4mm mdf.

Went through several brands of router bits and settled on Whiteside(made in USA). Prices lower than Freud(priced at building supply stores).
Infinity are nice too.

Anyway,a couple of shots of the templates in action. They worked well, however, I can see where a more substantial template material would work even better. Looks to be a whole lot of gluing in my immediate future.

Your progress looks good

BHD

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Oh, and one other thing - can people who have actually built and used the Elsinores tell me what the actual in room bass extension is? What can I expect? My wife is a bit of a bass head (no, really) and she wants me to make sure these speakers have some serious low end.

Thanks!

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Went through several brands of router bits and settled on Whiteside(made in USA). Prices lower than Freud(priced at building supply stores).
Infinity are nice too.

Your progress looks good

Thanks Joel. I used a diablo 1/4inch for those cuts (home depot). It seemed to struggle much more than I expected. The 1/2inch diablo flush trim bit had no such struggle. A different type of cut and bit I realize, but, it still surprised me a bit (no pun intended). However, the templates were made for 1/4inch, so, 1/4inch it was. I will have to search out the Whitside and give them a go. Thanks for the tip.

Question on your tapping the waveguides. What was the reason you decided to tap completely through the guide? No enough material or just thought there would be added benefit and strength by tapping completely though the guide?