The DubHorn:Wi's TC 5100NEO loaded 20hz horn.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Oliver, that look excellent!

Maybe I could build 2 a side of those - I assuming they are Pmax rather than Xmax limited, so should get pretty loud. Then to top them off I like the look of these coaxial drivers Specification ...

or maybe these, because they can be stacked nicely

Overview

Of course, my subs won't quite keep up, but I have plans (well, aspirations, no plans per se) for the lowest octaves.

Give me a month or so and I'll be on this.

Regards, Ben

Boxes almost finished, haven't loaded them yet...

and then I saw some speakers on sale at one sixth of the current price of the 3015LF...

would these be worth putting in the cabinets - they'd be some much cheaper if I wanted to build more than the first 6! I could sell the 3015LF speakers fairly easily too.

Please let me know before I cut start mounting the drivers!

Thanks a lot!

Regards, Ben

GT5-12 - JBL

Voice Coil DC Resistance (Revc – ohms)4 Voice Inductance @ 1kHz (Levc – mH)1.26 Driver Radiating Area (Sd – in2/cm2)82.15/530 Motor Force Factor (Bl – Tm)15.2 Compliance Volume (Vas – ft3 / l)1.9/54.2 Vas – ft3 / l Suspension Compliance135.00 Cms – μm/N Moving Mass, Air Load223.0 Mms – g Moving Mass, Diaphragm216.0 Mmd – g Free-Air Resonance29.00 Fs – Hz Mechanical Q6.39 Qms Electrical Q 0.64 Qes Total Q0.58 Qts Magnetic Gap Height (Hag – in/mm)0.315/8 Voice Coil Height (Hvc – in/mm)1.43/36.4 Maximum Excursion (Xmax –in/mm)0.56/14.2

you have any pics ben,
ive been scrolling over this topic and cant realy find what your bilding :p
ive heard a few bms driver and they sound real nice.the ones your suggest are the expensive ones.
i know the 4550,4554 and 4555 sound real nice and are relatively cheap.

EPA - pics are coming

for now all I can say is this is a set of six simple tapped horns externally measuring 16" by 17" by 60", just a long almost square corss-section straight box, mouth at one end, and the straight baffle is the only internal board. Very probably loaded with my 3015 LF, unless a cheaper alternative is found.

The aim is to give a good 20 Hz when necessary - and to be the only sound equipment provider in my province to do it, both for kicks and to have a unique selling point.

Friends of mine run a drum n bass and dubstep collective with monthly gigs. For the small ones I would like to take one or two of these subwoofers, for big ones the whole sixpack - or maybe more one day. However, to allow for expansion it would be preferable to use a (much) cheaper woofer, as the 265 Euro price is downright painful!

It would be interesting to know the excursion at various frequences and wattages - so as to run the subs higher for gigs where the very low frequencies are less important than a few more dBs.

First outing will be either new year's eve, if I have time - too much other work piling up - and I have to repair some chairs that my wife 'inherited' where the glue is dust! If not, the the next serious gigs will be in the second half of January.

Regards, Ben

P.S. to really answer EPA's question - I would to make use of some kappa 15a drivers, and will, when the first 6 subs are complete, commence building some horn-loaded tops based on the Lascala.

Last edited:
Very probably loaded with my 3015 LF, unless a cheaper alternative is found...........However, to allow for expansion it would be preferable to use a (much) cheaper woofer, as the 265 Euro price is downright painful!........
Hi Ben, the Monacor SP-15/500PH seems to be more than just a replacement for the 3015LF and is available in Germany below 200Euro's.

Jbell_20TH_3015lf_01.jpg

Now that looks different!

Thanks for the food for thought Djim!

In post 115, JBELL posted a response chart that looks much smoother than the one above and implies a considerably higher sound level (10 dB more!) that can be reached. Why / how can there be such a discrepancy? I realise one chart is for 4 and one is for six speakers, but nonetheless they are hugely different from one another.

Regards, Ben

Thanks for the food for thought Djim!

In post 115, JBELL posted a response chart that looks much smoother than the one above and implies a considerably higher sound level (10 dB more!) that can be reached. Why / how can there be such a discrepancy? I realise one chart is for 4 and one is for six speakers, but nonetheless they are hugely different from one another.

Regards, Ben

Because,

1. Djim is using specs from the new 3015LF (you might have these and not the old ones)

and 2. Djim and many others found it rare for 3015LFs to have excursion past 8mm due to power compression. Though his model shows output at 9.5mm of excursion, it's a lot more realistic than jbell's plot which sims 13mm+ of excursion.

Oh

Because,

1. Djim is using specs from the new 3015LF (you might have these and not the old ones)

and 2. Djim and many others found it rare for 3015LFs to have excursion past 8mm due to power compression. Though his model shows output at 9.5mm of excursion, it's a lot more realistic than jbell's plot which sims 13mm+ of excursion.

Now I get it! Thanks! Hopefully the deign will give me the output I want for small caverns and dancefloors. It's all indoor, so the question is how much gain I can safely add for that. I'll do a bit of experimenting.

Regards, Ben

P.S. Sorry DJIM, didn't want to criticise you - there was just such a massive difference between the charts that it shocked me. I thought at first the charts were for a single driver.

Now I get it! Thanks! Hopefully the deign will give me the output I want for small caverns and dancefloors. It's all indoor, so the question is how much gain I can safely add for that. I'll do a bit of experimenting.
Ben,

Small caverns? There was a club in a cave in St. Paul Minnesota..

The gain from placement near boundaries often is negated by room modes, it is not unusual to have louder, more even bass in a large room than a smaller room.

A 25 Hz wave is about 53 feet (16 meters) long, so rooms with dimensions less than a couple times that are "small".

Have you done any measurements on the subs?

So many questions...

...but I'm in a snowstorm here...

...so there has been no outdoor testing. Only indoor, and my workshop isn't too big. I don't trust my measurement mic at such low frequencies, but I'll get some readings soon. On just 50W one of them has been entertaining me very well in the workshop.

The caves are fun - they made my old pair of T36 sound like a dozen! A double 10 felt like a double 18 when stuffed in a corner.

This has been a fun experiment, and I am learning to build at a higher level, using a router and circular / mitre saw (as opposed to a jig saw), so I have definitely benefited from this. Each round of cabinets looks and sounds more professional.

At best, I have a new subwoofer system for special events.

At worst, I have built a nice subwoofer system for my home cinema and van and studio. The dubstep fans and cinema explosion freaks among my friends will love visiting me :)

For big (over 500 people, outdoors) gigs I'll be building something else altogether, but we're not there yet.

Regards, Ben

Last edited:
First test with a dB meter

Indoors, 25 square meter room, raised 1.5m off the floor.

Using a single driver box (1/6 of the six-pack)

one channel of a 2x 45 Watt rms at 8 Ohms studio amplifier

and the subwoofer out from a DJ mixer

(most importantly for testing, my dear wife is out)

peaks hitting 119 dB at one meter

fills the whole 120m basement with lovely smooth deep bass.

Looking forward to using a little more power :)

... and all six of them!

Regards, Ben

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.