The dirty little secret of horns.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just a general comment.FWIW. I saw a posting by BORAT Feb 2010, that derided wave guides/horns stating Martin Logan ELS were an order better than a horn (notably treble) per se. Panel speakers do not deliver close up, but nor does a horn for different reasons do they. They honestly both preclude small rooms. The small 2 way waveguided near field monitors (Genelec) used with or without PC do this best, close like earphones to the ears, and still good in the general direction in a larger listening distance with space.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Pete I saw just the boxes for you today. A pair of big old Peavy boxes. The bottom boxes were twin 15" and the top boxes seemed to be 2x10" front horn loaded and a compression driver and horn above that. Stacked, they were about 6 feet high. Now there's a horn box for ya! ;) Just fix the crossovers and add a little DSP you are ready to go.

Pano, if that had those mb-1 cone compression drivers horns you would not believe what those would be capable of. After all they ar basically clones...Klipsch/Shearer style w's (fh-2), JBL/eaw style mid bass (mb-1) , electro-voice big horn (fh-1)/we555 Altec style 1" throat 30 watt lightweight aluminum comp. Yes give Mr the DCX2496 and REW and I am soooooo in.(-:

Bringing this thread back to life...

Currently, my HF horns look like the attached image.
The horn is ~11" wide and 7" tall.

As you can see, there's a discontinuity in the vertical walls. The inner vertical sections are actually parallel (about 1" apart), which doesn't seem like a good idea for HOMs.

I've found some 30ppi 1" or 2" thick foam online, that can be cut to size. The foam itself (for the inner part of the horn) is very cheap, but delivery is £8.

What does the panel think:
is it worth adding foam here?
if so, just to the inner section of the horn, or the whole thing?

Cheers, and Happy New Year

Chris

Attachments

• 20140103_165803.jpg
    20140103_165803.jpg
    513.4 KB · Views: 347
Bringing this thread back to life...

Currently, my HF horns look like the attached image.
The horn is ~11" wide and 7" tall.

As you can see, there's a discontinuity in the vertical walls. The inner vertical sections are actually parallel (about 1" apart), which doesn't seem like a good idea for HOMs.

I've found some 30ppi 1" or 2" thick foam online, that can be cut to size. The foam itself (for the inner part of the horn) is very cheap, but delivery is £8.

What does the panel think:
is it worth adding foam here?
if so, just to the inner section of the horn, or the whole thing?

Cheers, and Happy New Year

Chris

Definitely worth adding. Fill at least 1" past throat. How much more before you infringe on the gedlee patent for filled-up horns w foam, is questionable though.

yup, 1" slot certainly doesn't help it sound better............

I had luck with thin foam on 1 side of the slot, but I have a 1.4" cd.
And a much larger horn (13.7" x almost 24").
And it needed a bunch more boost when I added the foam, even on axis where foam didn't interfere with seeing the compression driver throat hole.

But it did sound better, less live (echo-y), more ribbon like.

You can try foam around the mouth too.
On mine it helped on the side, but not the top and bottom.
Too many path breaks in my opinion.

The highs still don't hold a candle to this.

But that's ok, a dual 15 crossed @750hz is completely different than an 8" 2-way crossed at 2khz.

Norman

Definitely worth adding. Fill at least 1" past throat. How much more before you infringe on the gedlee patent for filled-up horns w foam, is questionable though.

Practically speaking there is no issue using foam in a horn if you don't go mass-producing it. I would go ahead and fill the whole space. Just remember that you have to re-EQ the system with the foam in place. Otherwise it will sound dead.

Horns are also useful for those who do not care for harmonic distortion of the type made when you force driver mass to move and return great distance nor amplitude/compression distortion, also caused by driver inertia. (Ummmm though studies have show that there are groups of people who are insensitive to relatively large amounts of what we used to call harmonic distortion, now renamed as non-linear distortion to keep people confused) I was not in those studies make my living with audio, therefore, I love horns

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.