The Death of High Fidelity

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Of course, we all must realize that any adjustment for a fat response is only 100% valid at a certain volume but that is another can of worms. .:)

BTW, I remember when music was a major part of entertaining friends . People took pride in their audio systems. Now, people listen to music via ear buds or an I-pod dock etc which is hardly a communal experience it once was .

Last edited:
The guys at Opus 3 are excited about 1-bit DSD, but it's yet another instance of upgrading sources and buying yet another copy of something, when the original pressing you bought on vinyl LP in 1968 is still valid and good to listen to.

But from what I read, DSD recordings are as good or better than vinyl and Opus 3 have been one of the premiere Swedish audiophile labels for decades.

Granted, there are some very good program sources available. However they are only marketed to and used by the informed audiophile .

There was a time when the masses were fairly well informed about what makes good audio.
However, now "awsome sound" seems to be the current audio "spec" that the garbage vendors feed to the ignorant masses in their ads. The more "awsome" it is touted, the better it must sound they blissfully assume.
We all have seen audio equipement that is now marketed almost solely on its color and shape in addition to it "awsome" sound which often seems to be an after thought at that..

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
The new SAP power card..

Fit it to your laptop or PC..works great with MP3 at low bit rate...guaranteed to make your friends green with envy..the ultra bright blue flashing LED's will fill your room with AWESOME pulsating light...Bass to shake your body until your ears bleed...comes with optional £££ ultra bass monotone Thump unit..Shrill tweeters to slice through even the hardest ear wax...get yours now...while stocks last...
Then for the real discerning audio freak..the cyber current dumping thunder box..AWESOME BASS ....and treble to shatter Your windscreen....be with the "IN" crowd...Available from all hardware stores..also availabe in tin plate for the industrial look..:D

Regards
M. Gregg

Last edited:
Audio magazine, High Fidelity magazine, Stereo Review magazine... all dead and gone many years now. It seems young men these days are more interested in the size of their hard drive than the power of their stereo amp.

Back in the '70s, Stereo review was the audio bible and if a very thorough Hirsch-Houck Labs component spec measurment and review gave a thumbs up on something, it was a safe bet that it was a quality component.
Even Stereos Review's 's record reviews were pretty close to the mark, for my taste at least. :)

The new SAP power card..

Fit it to your laptop or PC..works great with MP3 at low bit rate...guaranteed to make your friends green with envy..the ultra bright blue flashing LED's will fill your room with AWESOME pulsating light...Bass to shake your body until your ears bleed...comes with optional £££ ultra bass monotone Thump unit..Shrill tweeters to slice through even the hardest ear wax...get yours now...while stocks last...
Then for the real discerning audio freak..the cyber current dumping thunder box..AWESOME BASS ....and treble to shatter Your windscreen....be with the "IN" crowd...Available from all hardware stores..also availabe in tin plate for the industrial look..:D

Regards
M. Gregg
I had to LOL when I read that! :D

Last edited:
BTW dirkwright............
The commercial (for TDK recording tape) that your avatar is from featured a pair of JBL L100 speakers (if I remember correctly) which where causing all that air blowing past him in the chair.

I had a pair of them back then and they were great. In fact, I recently read that they were the best selling high end speakers in the '70s.

They were also the most common studio monitor in the '70s in their original, plain, commercial monitor cabinet form.
So, if you wanted to hear what was in the original mix, you got them.
However you would probably have a hard time giving them away today simply because they are too big to hook up to an I- Pad .

Last edited:
It seems young men these days are more interested in the size of their hard drive than the power of their stereo amp.

I almost laugh for the old men instead of those young men... :dunno:

The young men were born with free and fresh minds. The old men minds have gone wrong since many years ago when they think a good system is a "high end" system, a system with some accepted parameters. I think the old men really have no imagination... Think about it man.... :D

Thanks Joe! Where's the "like" button on this message board?!??! <g>

Yeah, I remember sitting in the library in the late 80's and early 90's reading those old magazines, lusting after things like a Revox B77, or a Thorens TT... They had back issues at the library at work that went way back, so I had a lot to read. Sigh... my hearing is not what it used to be... I remember the first time I heard a Klipshorn... Wow! I was sold on horns immediately. I used to be bothered by the sound of CD, now it doesn't bother me any more. I guess that's sad...

Last edited:
and there were the "Is it live or is it Memorex" commercials.... btw dirk's avatar wasn't just a magazine ad, it was also a TV commercial....

the only problem being, when those commercials aired, everybody's TV had a little 5" mono speaker, but you were supposed to tell the difference between Ella Fitzgerald "live" on a TV commercial that was on tape, and Memorex on a taped commercial, on a tv speaker with a response of 500-4000hz....

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2010
Last edited:
Since we are delving our audio pasts........
The very best system I had back in the '70s was.....

* "Heathkit AA 1640" amp with the optional VU meter kit
* "Heathkit" preamp and matching EQ. (They were the ones with the walnut end caps).
* "Thorans" turntable with a "Shure V-15 cartridge"
* I used my "Sansui 7" receiver just for its FM tuner section via its tape monitor circuits.. (My favorite station back then was WNEW FM from NY City).
* "JBL L100" speakers .
* "Sankyo" cassette deck,
* "Super-X" electrostatic head phones.

BTW, I still remember my 50 mile drives to the nearest Heathkit store. I was always like a kid on the way to Disneyland .:D

Now, I am a bit older of course and my hearing is not what it used to be .
Having said that......everyone hearing starts to deteriorate after about the age of 20 and only the younger of us of us can hear up to 20k hz.
We all can still hear distortion however and the lower frequencies are unaffected .
In any event, there is actually often very little program material in the extreme high end anyway. In many cases there is no extreme high end at all even with modern recordings on CDs
So, often nothing is really missed by older listeners for the most part. This all depends on the extent one's healing loss of course. :)

Last edited:
They were made by "Super-X".
Their electrostatic phones sounded fantastic with unparalleled transparency.
However, their quality control was absolutely horrendous and I believe they went out of business because of this

EDIT..My mistake, they were "Superex" not "super-X"

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.