The David N.J.White 100W MOSFET amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
while you're in there measure the voltages at the base of tr1 (or across R10) and tr3 (or across R12) as well.

fwiw it were my amp i'd just snip the leads of TR4 and TR5 near the 90 degree bends i/o desoldering them off the pcb. Easy job to resolder them after. This also makes it easy to check that TR4,TR5 and TR2 are properly insulated from the heatsink. But your decision.

Last edited:
Too late Kasey.

I've removed TR2, 4 & 5 and they all seem OK.

I've posted the results on the schematic.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    762.5 KB · Views: 162
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
You can't have a 6 volt differential across a B-E junction (TR5) unless it is reverse biased. Your readings show its "not" (emitter positive with respect to base) which leaves the possibility that TR5 isn't a PNP, or that its faulty or fitted incorrectly.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
agree but it apparently tested out above ok ?

Not possible :)

Its the same as saying "I have 6 volts across a forward biased silicon diode"... but it checks OK. There is one more possibility, but I would doubt this, and that is that the whole area around the transistor is oscillating at RF which would make all DC readings invalid. One quick check with a scope would prove/disprove that though... as would a well placed finger around that area.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Here is the equivalent circuit of the junctions. For you to have 0 volts on the emitter and -6 on the base means that the B-E junction (which can be represented as a diode) is dropping 6 volts while supposedly forward biased. That is not possible.

Attachments

• Eq.png
    Eq.png
    22.4 KB · Views: 205
Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
are you sure they are installed the same way on both channels. Look at the middle transistor in each of these images carefully.

edit: also shouldn't there be an insulator?

Tony.

Attachments

• tansistor1.png
    tansistor1.png
    37.8 KB · Views: 203
  • transistor2.png
    transistor2.png
    47.5 KB · Views: 203
Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
0.9 volts assuming its accurate is too high. Without being familiar with your meter I wouldn't like to say how that should be interpreted. The raw numbers say something is not right.

Work to what you can see is definitely wrong, which is the 6 volts we had above.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.