The DAC development platform

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
That is very interesting. Finally they fixed USB audio.

yes, I would like to use the CM6620 chip, it would simplify the problem a lot. However I probably won't be able to use it, because :

- where can I get it ? apparently nowhere.
- no docs
- since it's from c-media, it probably has some proprietary crap in it, like you must send some secret code to unlock the "premium content" digital ouputs, they've been known to do this in the past...

Perhaps the FTDI USB chip that I want to use can be coerced into looking like a USB2 audio device class as per your paper ? But there are no drivers available anyway (yet)...

promixe said:
Peufeu,

I'm researching about TC Dice platform (Mini, Jr and II) and all I hear is horror stories from end-users. Particularly scary stuff is coming from gearslutz.com guys - clicks, frequent CPU spikes, dropouts, only TI 1394 chipsets that are working OK with Dice, etc.... Apparently Dice chips and consequently every firewire audio interface out there that has Dice in it are like a bad virus that everyone is trying to stay away from...

I didnt read much of that in the posted thread, just cpu spikes that shouldnt be an issue with core2 cpus.
Comparing to the (very good) Echo audiofire4, the dice has lower asio latency, which is also a good thing.

Mind to link some of these really horrible issues of clicks and sound dropouts?

BTW it is TRUE and know that non-TI firewire controllers are crap and the real issue lies there.

project status

Hi everybody,

@peufeu: this project is really interesting, I wonder if you still plan on developing this any further? I saw on your blog that you decided to concentrate on using USB now..

I am quite interested in furthering the idea of using ethernet for audio streaming to DACs, especially after having seen this in action in person:

http://cnmat.berkeley.edu/research/spherical_loudspeaker_array

peufeu: would you consider sharing some insights, schematics or maybe even code towards a project that aims a creating a more general modular system for large speaker arrays? These could be quite a lot simpler than what they were aiming for at CNMAT. My personal interest would be to use these arrays in artistic sound installation and possibly an open source Wavefield Synthesis System.

best,

Karsten

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.