"The CSS 'Next Generation' High Resolution 'Triton' Kit" designed by Jeff Bagby

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Vancouver Island diyFEST... a Vancouver one would be a ferry ride away in Canada :D

Hard for me to miss it, it is at my place. Not really on the Malahat, but one of the turn-offs to get there is at the start near Victoria.

If you ever take the ferry this direction i'd be happy to have you drop up.

dave

Hey thanks Dave for the VERY KIND invitation!

I will do just that when I'm in town next if I have the time.

You must know all the DIY guys and Soundhounds/Kerry etc and custom integrators on Vancouver Island.

Great stuff and a great contact!

I'd really love to hear some of those full range driver/horn rigs some of you guys have.

I heard a "point source" Danley Synergy Horn and it really blew me away.

I'm curious what you think of Don Keeley's CBT as it has similar acoustic properties.

Again thanks Dave for the warm offer and I'll most certainly take you up on it someday soon!

Best regards,

Justin

They didn't put a mounting flange on it because the response would get goofed up.

Due to driver setback due to flange thickness? How about mounting holes/brackets that are stuck to the tweeter motor housing so it's flush to the horn opening/surround?

You'd need to have the end of the waveguide have the built in mounting points/holes for rear motor housing bracket screw down.

Looking at how Danley does it with the B&C it free-floats within a couple mils of the waveguide/horn opening but is mounted to the back of the cab.

How many extra dBs are you guys getting outta that waveguide? Wow the distortion measurements would be amazing considering the tweet wouldn't need to be pushed much for high SPL! Dispersion and off axis must be impressive as well ehh

GOOD STUFF!

PS does the LD25X flange/tiny guide attach to motor housing via screws or is it soldered/glued to motor housing?

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
You must know all the DIY guys and Soundhounds/Kerry etc and custom integrators on Vancouver Island.

It is actually surprising how many locals i've only ever communicated with on the forum.

Sound Hounds i know well... it was Terry, Don, & myself who put it on the map. Ask Don to show you my pic in the ad they have up on the wall -- he likes doing that, i'm 30 pounds heavier now, with MUCH less hair (and what there is is all grey).

Tano is the only custom installer i know.

Chris also worked at Sound Hounds -- sometime after i left.

dave

Danley uses CDs. Domes are a different animal to get right in a waveguide. The throat wouldn't be shaped right if the flange remained in place.

Yeah they are those Italian compression drivers.

I'm not sure if you understand what I'm saying. On some tweeters I've noticed that the flange is removable right. usually there is a smaller flange that the larger outer one attaches to. This small flange is usually recessed relative to the surround's plane and have machine screw holes for the larger flange to attach via screws.

What I'm thinking here is if the LD25X had something like that, meaning some kind of screw holes tapped or not that are soldered/glued to the motor housing AND the waveguide had mounting points on it IE a circular mounting flange at it's throat we could get that tweet within mills of the opening.

I'll have to use sketchup to show what I mean but depending on how the waveguide mold was made (very expensive) it might not be possible to do this but we could glue it to the waveguide throat. You could also just get a doughnut shaped plastic piece made up and glue it to the throat.

I dunno...

if green masking tape works it works right!

;)

The fact the motor uses Neodymium though sure must help as the LD25X must be light!

Try taking an AirCirc and using that green tape to hold it to the waveguide!

NO WAY

Last edited:
It is actually surprising how many locals i've only ever communicated with on the forum.

Sound Hounds i know well... it was Terry, Don, & myself who put it on the map. Ask Don to show you my pic in the ad they have up on the wall -- he likes doing that, i'm 30 pounds heavier now, with MUCH less hair (and what there is is all grey).

Tano is the only custom installer i know.

Chris also worked at Sound Hounds -- sometime after i left.

dave

WOW

VERY COOL

I know that ad/photo!

LOL

I'm about 15-20 years your junior but I know your shop and I actually grew up in one as a kid in the interior. My dad worked/involved in a Stein/Kelly's franchise and also at an outfit called Union Peter's and Rock Island.

As a kid I spent all my weekends in an AV shop all through the 80s.

I remember setting up demo rooms at about 8 years old and playing Eye of the Tiger and Foreigner!

hahaha

A good friend of mine my age who's dad also worked at the shop as a tech/repair engineer went on to be a fantastic EE and he works/contracts to EMMlabs in Calgary.

We Canadians as a nation have really contributed to audio IMHO considering how few people we have.

I always find it amazing how many people into this stuff are floating around in this area. I sure wish I had gone to that VI DIY GTG but I guess there is always next year!

It's really great to know we have a healthy community into this stuff on the Island and the lower mainland.

I really look forward to meeting you Dave and hearing some of those point source horns of yours!

Justin

PS Kev tells me Ed's reference is those JBL 1400 horns/K2 project and I bet your horns are very similar acoustically. I can't wait to hear your work!

PSS as a recent listener to some Danley's I'm very impressed of what a true point source does acoustically to phase and combing artifacts et al

PSS and Bloody S This is why Don's CBTs are such amazing technology and the only real loudspeaker design breakthrough from what I've seen in the last 25 plus years.

Last edited:
Another discovery today......took on a 30 day free trial of Spotify Premium online streaming music program boasting up to 320 kbps. The Tritons would sound fantastic if I listened in Pure Direct 2 channel mode on the Marantz anyway.

I also knew that there was a usb on the front of the receiver, so I decided to try the new Iphone5 with it's short power cord to the Marantz.

Much to my surprise it worked and really, really got my attention. Did not think the Tritons could sound any better, but they were simply amazing. These speakers just continue to surprise me with more clean sound, more separation and clarity than before. :)

I will also be reporting back with a change in crossover shortly. Can't imagine another improvement. Not complaining.....:eek:

I would like to also mention Iowa's 2012 DIY Show Event this past weekend. This yearly event showed some great diy's. I will be checking each of these out.

But.....seems the Triton won the "BEST IN SHOW". I am impressed, but not surprised. This conclusion was drawn by Johnny Richards! and he said, "Very, very easy on the ears and superb imaging". "With finesse"

This I love and can relate to other comments by Johnny that the Tritons also...."threw up a shimmering 'Tapestry'." Really like that phrase Johnny and completely agree with you!

And looks like his second choice was Jeff's Continuum! One other attendee put the Continuum at the top of his choice!

Congratulations Jeff!

And, of course, Bob for great drivers at CSS.

This is a great confirmation of what I already proclaim!

Rob

Yes Bryne did a great job in building them. I'm sure they'll get even better as they break in as I don't think he had much time on them when he went to the Iowa event. The VWR126X certainly needs it.

Bob

I agree Bob, and understand that as I have seen them grow from great speakers, if I might, to blossum into better competitive and desirable speakers with more breakin.

They really suprised me today......again, when I ran across a song that was remastered by Green Sun..."The Last Battle" on Chillout Dreaminess/Blue Session. The piano was absolutely stunning, the clarity was the best I have ever experienced concerning piano solos as the LD25X simply performed.

Exactly like "Shimmering Tapestry" with the background melody. :)

I agree Bob, and understand that as I have seen them grow from great speakers, if I might, to blossum into better competitive and desirable speakers with more breakin.

They really suprised me today......again, when I ran across a song that was remastered by Green Sun..."The Last Battle" on Chillout Dreaminess/Blue Session. The piano was absolutely stunning, the clarity was the best I have ever experienced concerning piano solos as the LD25X simply performed.

Exactly like "Shimmering Tapestry" with the background melody. :)

GREAT STUFF woodstart!

I'm curious have you tried that newer XO in them yet?

The Tale of the Two Crossovers

Thought I would give an update and my take on the two speaker crossovers, Triton and the VX.2!

And, also to mention that this is from a novice listener!

Both of the xovers are very upscale in the competitive world of audio IMHO in that each has great overall sound and appeal that make them shine.

They are also very similar, but different.

The first one... the Triton was the one I build, of course, and had plenty of time ooooing and aaaahing over it, so it is difficult to compare with first love, but I will try. And in this case, now, since I just finished listening to it, I will discus that......Detail, detail and more detail, love these CSS drivers particularly the LD25X.....the very wide range midbass driver VWR126X..... the only objection, if I could object, would be lack of bass in some songs.....only some!!!!

The Triton seems to have the best detail compared with the VX.2 and only by an slight edge over it, that I can tell or not???..

The bass in the VX.2 seems to be stronger more dominant to me. The sound stage somewhat wider and imaging was great as well. The Triton did great in these areas too, just not as big/broad sounding. This could be the songs, unfortunately I did not listen to particularly the same songs, but the same streaming from Spotify Preminum "Chillout Genre" from my Marantz SR-7005 via Iphone 5. Up to 320kbps gives excellent quality.

As I think back, there were mostly ideal and desirable performances from both xovers, even though streaming audio can vary from time to time. I could live with both or either of them and never look back.

The VX.2 is a great speaker, I believe and has marvelous sound in all areas, but I think the Triton xover has the upper edge with midrange, seemed to be the first thing I noticed when I hooked them back up, but I could be wrong. The advantage of the VX.2 would be the build.... one would not have to construct a cab. And for some of us who don't have all of the tools, this would be an advantage, except for the baffle, of course.

Regardless of the price either of these is worthy of purchase and great sounding MTM monitors worthy of keeping around for a very long time.

If you guys have any particular questions that you want to ask, that might spark some more impressions, that would be great.

Thanks,

Robert

The Triton can be built just fine in the Dayton cabinet. I probably would have preferred to work with a completed cabinet like that anyway, but that wasn't an option at the time I was asked to design the speaker. Thanks Robert.

Jeff

Thank you Jeff, again, for a great little speaker, sorry you are so buZZZZyy.

That is what happens when you are know your stuff.;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.