The construction of a multicell horn

The OP said (post 12) that his horn didn't work as expected, so it was bigger than it needed to be:

I would not cross them lower than 400-500 Hz. this is something that I found out after the horns were built. My intention was to use it from 350-400 Hz. Would be intresting to try them with JBL midrangedriver, because the 2445 is not ment to be used lower than 500 Hz.
Therefore, if you're a perfectionist like the OP, you shouldn't simply clone the design.*

Hornresp can be used to generate variants of the much-sought spreadsheet. Here's how you'd clone the OP's horn:

(1) enter the values

Flare rate is given in post 1 as 183Hz

Throat size is 20cm^2
- or arbritrary, really, depending on your driver and adapter.
OP used a 2445, so to clone his horn, it ultimately has a 2" diameter or 20cm^2 throat

Total mouth size is roughly 3375cm^2
- One cell is illustrated in post 3** as about 15x15cm per cell (but this is not really critical; 20x20cm would also work). With 3x5 cells, each 15x15cm, mouth is ~45x75cm or 3375cm^2

These three numbers are all Hornresp needs. For me, it spits out:

Horn axial length as 77cm.

(2) Export the horn shape

Calculate the horn, then from the Schematic Diagram window, click
FILE - EXPORT - HORN DATA - RECTANGULAR HORN - EXPORT

(3) Spreadsheet it

Next, copy and paste that data to a spreadsheet. Add a couple more columns to divide the dimensions by however many cells you want in your multicell. Done.

:bullseye:

For a JBL 2445 and a 500Hz crossover, I'd suggest a smaller horn; 12x12cm cells and 50cm length models well for me. My simulation is pictured. The values I used for the 2445 are partly guesswork, and the sensitivity seems too low, but the LF response is about right.

*unless your driver is more robust / goes lower than the JBL 2445

**funny: I have seen this post before, but only just realised what the disc is. I saw them live last year. Good cheesy fun.

Attachments

• multicell HR.jpg
    multicell HR.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 874
Reactions: 1 user