• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

The CD Transport

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Do you have more time on this project?

In theory, if you asynchronous the transport(transport = slave, DAC = master/mistress), you have 0 jitter, have you tried that? Also DSD(SACD) to PCM conversion on the output stage to DAC would result in high resolution PCM. if you have a high quality DAC, wouldn't your SACDs sound even better?

I don't have the skills or time to create such device. The market lacks, might not even have, those wonderful transports and it shouldn't cost a lot, instead they'll sell you a $7,000 transport with low jitter.

One more thing, since youtube and computer audio is increasingly popular, transportwith asynchronous firewire/usb to coaxial converter. Excellent usb/firewire to spdif/coaxial converters today require external battery/AC cord to isolate from noisy USB/firewire power, the transport can use it's own PSU. Firewire is proven to be overall better.

Zero jitter, Computer audio, Better SACD quality, Low cost. Such a thing never been made.

By the way, I'm in the core of Toronto.

Last edited:
JVC display board

Dear all,
I hope it isn't out of place to post this here.

I have found a locally available Sanyo boombox with the same laser unit and board, and built a reasonable clone. I'm about to start version 2...
The Sanyo display board is inferior in that it does not have a back lit display.

I was wondering if anyone might have had a regrettable bad laser unit, meaning they would have a spare display board (or three) from the JVC Unit?

Please PM if you can help... not expecting charity of course.

Best regards
Bill

Have you got any pictures? The JVC display backlight is actually very simple. It's mostly just a ridged "glass" wedge behind the LCD, a sheet of white plastic behind the glass (to relfect/diffuse light), and an LED. Depending on your DIY skills and available tools, you should be able to make your own fairly easily. This way you could also choose your own light colour, vary diffusion level etc.

Also, what Sanyo model is it? If it indeed uses the same CD board, it might be available in places where you can't get the JVC. I'm sure many people would appreciate the info.

Uncle Leon,
I might try to strip down a display board and have a look.
I did post the model details for the Sanyo beep box (couldn't call it a boom box) and a few pics a ways back here...

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/120229-finally-affordable-cd-transport-shigaclone-story-414.html#post2341172

So far I haven't heard of anyone finding them in other countries.
I also posted my approach to identifying a suitable donor in the shop without buying one and stripping it apart....
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/audio-sector/160373-cd-transport-12.html#post2364307

You are from my neck of the woods BTW Uncle Leon... I emigrated from Widnes (lovely resort on the banks of the Mersey!).

Cheers folks, happy may day!
Bill

The schematic show external PS. Two wires from PS are connected to the pads where choke was. Since BG FK is hard to find these days, I use BG STD with BG N 4.7uF bypass.

I add two output resistors: 300/100 Dale (you may also consider S102/Caddock) and in place of C916 I instal BG N, either 47/50 or 33/16 depending on availability.

Hi Peter,

The BGs are really hard to find now.
For alternatives, can I use ROE 2200/63 GOLD instead of BG FK 2200/35. Or if using bypass scheme, Pana FC 1000/25 + Frako 4.7/63?
Pana 1000/25 will be used in place of BG STD 1000/25?
And ELNA SILMIC II 47/50 in place of BG N 47/50?

What do you commment?
Thanks,
HT

Hi deepblue2010, I hope Peter won't mind me answering this for him - the type of capacitor is much more important here, than matching the exact value. Black gates are unfortunately the best, and there are no capacitors that I'm aware of, that would be nearly as good.

Panasonic FC are a very poor choice for the Shigaclone, and Elna Silmic are not much better. Rubycons and Os-Con currently have my recommendation for the PSU - but I am still in the process of testing various caps, so this may change soon. I have not tried ROE caps yet, so can't comment on them.

The best non-Black Gate substitute for C916 known to me is Elna Starget 47/16.

I'm sure Peter will correct me if I missed anything.

Uncle Leon,

As many people mentioned, high performance BGs are like "holy grail" for audiophile grade but I think for controlling the mechanical components, as in CD transport, I might use some other (also high grade) caps and it would not affect too much while still improve the quality. That's why I asked :D. Seems I need to look back all the related posts and find out what are the specifications of high performance CD transport, exp. Shigaclone before getting back to cap selection.
Anyway, your work help to narrow my research a lot. Thanks so much.
And I am willing to read your next post about your test with Shigaclone.

Many thanks and regards,
HT

Deepblue2010, check out my capacitor test results in the main Shigaclone thread:
The big capacitor test results.

Improving the power supply of mechanical components (like gear and spinner motors) actually has audible influence on the sound. I know it may seem odd, but don't neglect them just because they aren't in the signal path ;) If you have any suitable Black Gates, do not hesitate to use them here. Just remember that different BG have different sonic signatures, and not all of them work well together.
You can also check out my previous tests:
capacitors
and
other parts

Hi Uncle_leon,

I read from Peter's post that the 5V can be added by tap into the L901 after removing it.
Does it also mean you have to put 2 jumper wire there to reconnect the trace line? What is the best way of feeding a separated regulated 5V to the the Shigaclone?

Thanks

When removing L901, connect the voltage and ground directly to L901 secondary pads, no need for any jumpers.

Best way to feed separate reg 5V is from a separate transformer.

Attachment shows how to connect external 5V supply.

Attachments

• track5v.jpg
    track5v.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 1,520
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.