The Burning Amp Festival- an Audio Happening

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
SY said:
Jan, I found the perfect place for you to eat while you're here. Award-winning wine list!

www.asiasf.com

Well, plans have changed (again). Hugo can't make it unfortunately, neither can my Sandra. So, I'll just make it a quick trip to bother you guys for a few days.

I'll arrive SF on the 19th, 18.00 hrs, depart morning of the 23rd.

Looking forward to meet you all!

Jan Didden

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
GeWa said:
Janneman

Seems like you're really enjoying your retirement hé. ;)

Off-Topic

Was the CAD drawing I made (amp top plate) to any benefit for you?

Regards

Walter

Hi Walter,

YES! And the drawing was OK. They made a mistake, doing it over again. As soon as I have the plate I'll send you a pic.
Is the top plate for my error correction amp.

You coming to SF ;) ?

Jan Didden

We'll probably have some snacks and the like, but since you're in the middle of the culinary capital of the US, it would be worth a short stroll to sample what San Francisco has to offer.

BTW, this is one of the few cities in the US where you can get authentic regional Indian cuisine; San Franciscans know the difference between Moghlai, Madras, Goan, and Bengali- it's not just the cookie-cutter Balti of London. Not that you're coming here to eat the same food you can get at home, but just an example. Hmmm, I think we'll have Eritrean tonight...

You are right about trying out the food available locally. Of course I would like to eat things other than Indian food !
You seem to really have cusine from different regions in India. Many years ago the Japs thought that " curry" was Indian food ! Things must have changed by now.
Might add that authentic ( tasting) food is generally available only in it's own region. So even in India you need to go to the various regions to get the 'real' taste of their food. Other kitchens generally come close but do not reproduce the original taste !
With a few exceptions of course.

Eritrean ?..............hmmm..........sounds interesting.

By the way, my mind still pictures an industrial area as a place more than 45 minutes away from civilization. Hence the concern for loss of precious time traveling up and down !

:D

ashok said:
You are right about trying out the food available locally. Of course I would like to eat things other than Indian food !
[...]
By the way, my mind still pictures an industrial area as a place more than 45 minutes away from civilization. Hence the concern for loss of precious time traveling up and down !

:D

Some of us will be coming in from elsewhere (Santa Cruz is about 80 miles from San Francisco), so with a bit of forethought rides could be arranged.

The food thing is amusing: I was hosting some Chinese guys from Szechuan who'd never had Thai cuisine, so we hit a good place. They didn't leave a whole lot on their plates. :D

You might like Ethiopian. It's spicy, but in a different way from Indian, and if you don't mind eating with your fingers (not obligatory, by the way) the experience is interesting.

10 - 15 min walk sounds fine.
We eat our food either with our fingers or sometimes with 'implements':D

The saying goes that food tastes best when eaten with our fingers and served on a fresh plantain leaf. I must admit that the plantain leaf does enhance the aroma of the food though by itself it doesn't have a strong smell.
In some regions it's the norm to eat that way for special occasions.
Anyone tried that ?

ashok said:
10 - 15 min walk sounds fine.
We eat our food either with our fingers or sometimes with 'implements':D

The saying goes that food tastes best when eaten with our fingers and served on a fresh plantain leaf. I must admit that the plantain leaf does enhance the aroma of the food though by itself it doesn't have a strong smell.
In some regions it's the norm to eat that way for special occasions.
Anyone tried that ?

Cool. Speaking of leaves enhancing flavour, you might want to try sticky rice wrapped in a lotus leaf sometime. Wonderful. By the way, have you ever been to a dim sum place?

And using hands instead of cutlery? You're talking to a guy who ate his way through the American South -- barbecue there is gnawed right off the ribs.

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
my mind still pictures an industrial area as a place more than 45 minutes away from civilization.

You really aren't THAT far off the mark. It IS an industrial area, It is pretty close, but strangely cut off from the rest of the city by freeways.

There is a close Mexican burrito place that is part of a do it yourself carwash.. Free entertainment worth the price.. Otherwise the area is quite unusual for S.F. that it doesn't have various decent restaurants every block. You would have to walk very fast I think to get to the Mission as quickly as SY does! But you can get there, and as was also mentioned, those with cars will certainly help out.

I will also try to get some snacks and refreshments(!) together also, as it's true- eight hours a day isn't enough time. AR2 does have lovely bathrooms though...

Ashok, have you gotten plane ticks?

Hi Sy,
Maybe not all of the personal info should not be on the web ?
One might feel uncomfortable having the address and phone numbers etc. all displayed for all to see !

If you see what all is happening in the Indian scenario you might want to be cautious. Misuse of information by MANY wayward very smart computer savvy youngsters.

Criminal behaviour has taken on a new meaning here. In an unrelated issue , recently a 6 year old school boy was murdered by friends " to get a school holiday !" . I have no idea how much lower it can get !

Sorry to sound so pessimistic . I just thought that we should be a bit cautious....maybe !

Cheers,
Ashok.
:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.