The Burning Amp Festival- an Audio Happening

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yeah right, blame it on the geek...

The coater you have looks a lot like some offered on Ebay. The important feature that may be missing on the cheaper models is the variable voltage with 60kV capability - I will have to look out for that.

I was thinking of nabbing an old built-in oven like the kind I had in my first apartment. About the same room inside as a stand-alone range, but less cubic space overall. One of the guys who works for me does refurb on apartments and may be able to score one for real cheap. I'll start to look more seriously when I'm closer to finishing some amps. I have 5-6 projects in the works, and I do a little on each as I'm able. Sometimes I get preempted by a new idea so that all the other WIP grinds to a halt...

wrenchone said:
Yeah right, blame it on the geek...

The coater you have looks a lot like some offered on Ebay. The important feature that may be missing on the cheaper models is the variable voltage with 60kV capability - I will have to look out for that.

I was thinking of nabbing an old built-in oven like the kind I had in my first apartment. About the same room inside as a stand-alone range, but less cubic space overall. One of the guys who works for me does refurb on apartments and may be able to score one for real cheap. I'll start to look more seriously when I'm closer to finishing some amps. I have 5-6 projects in the works, and I do a little on each as I'm able. Sometimes I get preempted by a new idea so that all the other WIP grinds to a halt...

Great. I think built in oven is great space saver and it might work very well. You might install it somewhere up higher, so it would be easier to load than if it is positioned lower. Just let me know if you need any more info..... or picture... or .... OK I will stop there.
Best
AR2

Fun with peerless

Hi

When I was at BAF 2008 I was lucky enough to get my hands on some peerless drivers which I brought home to denmark (kinda ironic since they were made in denmark). ;)

Thanks Jack Hidley!!!

After a busy fall I finally got around to play with them. I started mounting them on a flat piece of glued wood in order to get a feeling for how they behaved. I quickly came to the conclusion that they needed a boxed baffle in order to play lower frequencies.

So know I have built this (see attached) mock up/ test baffle to see if this is a suitable path before making them in more expensive wood with nice finish. I must say it sounds surprisingly good - I still have to do some adjustments to the cross over, but so far I find speaker building to be very rewarding! :bigeyes:

Can anyone guess where I got the inspiration to the baffle layout? :devilr:

PS: My fiance said wanted to say that the speaker sounds very good indeed and it is allowed to stay in the living room.

Attachments

• p1070447_crp.jpg
    p1070447_crp.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 404
cviller: " ... So know I have built this (see attached) mock up/ test baffle to see if this is a suitable path before making them in more expensive wood with nice finish. I must say it sounds surprisingly good - I still have to do some adjustments to the cross over, but so far I find speaker building to be very rewarding! ..."

Please, oh, please let us know how these turn out. I also have four of the Peerless drivers plus several of those tiny tweeters from Nelson Pass ... :D

If you can, please sketch out your crossover and the dimensions of the box, rough or finished. 'Gotta start somewhere on this project ... :smash:

The baffle dimensions are as close to the Proac D38 as I could get. I have never seen or heard the real ones, but the dimensions are easy to find, and there are many pictures of them online. The vent arrangement was the most difficult to thing to find pictures of.

The tweeter is the peerless HDS 1". I used this site (http://www.apicsllc.com/apics/Misc/filter2.html) to calculate the filter and chose the 2nd order linkwitz-riley. I wound the inductors my self, but I guess I was rather impatient doing this, so I ended up with slightly lower values than I set out to do.

I'm not sure that this is the perfect baffle for the peerless drivers, but it is fun to get started!

cviller said:
... The tweeter is the peerless HDS 1". I used this site (http://www.apicsllc.com/apics/Misc/filter2.html) to calculate the filter and chose the 2nd order linkwitz-riley. I wound the inductors my self, but I guess I was rather impatient doing this, so I ended up with slightly lower values than I set out to do.

I'm not sure that this is the perfect baffle for the peerless drivers, but it is fun to get started!

Great tip: That web site calculator is soooo easy to use and will be useful for any prototype work ... then the fine tuning begins.

Do you have another calculator web site for the inductors?? ... :smash:

(Do you have a link or pics of your baffling ... or maybe a "how to" web site for the baffles too?)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.