The Burning Amp Festival- an Audio Happening

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
AR2, SY and I visited the venue today. We left more excited than ever. Many small concerns that we had have been resolved and we are sure that the place will give us a better and expanded Burning Amp!!

Since we will have two rooms for auditioning components, it is of great importance to have a carefully designed schedule. In order to have a carefully designed schedule we need people to sign up and tell us what they are bringing! If you sign up soon, you will have a better chance to get into an appropriate group at a prime time.

Mark

The acoustics in the two demo rooms are pretty nice- no slap echo or boominess. The large room for the talks is not quite as nice that way, but with some bodies in there... anyway, it's quite spacious and comfortable. The place looks funkier on the outside than last year's Ft. Mason location, but it's fine on the inside and the view is even more breathtaking.

What we're lacking (and we're asking for volunteers) is a nice screen to project the slides. If anyone has one and they'd be willing to bring it along, please let us know.

This time, I'm going to drive Curl here personally. ;)

Hey, beachbum ... "Truth is one, paths are many." - The Dalai Lama.

Yes, some people don't like the newer, smaller MMGW planar speakers from Magnepan ... But I do like them, no make that I Love Them, IMOP they sound great.

Of interest: To appreciate planar speakers, one should experiment with room placement, angles and wall reflection questions ... 'cause the sound comes out equally from both front and back.

FYI: The MMG's are different than the MMGW's and they are different than the MG1.6. http://www.magnepan.com/ for details.

I don't mean to preach or to sell one concept over another here, but I do like planar speakers and I do like the Magnepan speakers: I own MMG's and MMGW's and have a new pair of the MG1.6 in transit. The reviewer at http://6moons.com/audioreviews/magnepan/mmgw.html DOES SAY that he likes the larger Magnepan Planar Speakers a lot, the MMG's included, he just does not like the MMGW ... fine, I like mine, nah, nah, nah ...

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I will bring my F4's as only a few people got to listen to them last time as we fired them up at 8PM

As far as non-DIY stuff, we would want to limit that to items that aren't diy'ed as much- mainly sources, mainly a kickbuttt turntable

We need one and I know it is a big hassle to bring one, but any volunteers out there? We would like it to be a high end rig.

" ... the $499 special did/do 3-1/2 times as mucho over here. ..."

??, OK, but I don't know how you are going to get around your local taxsuckers ... I ship to Europe all the time and we have to disassemble stuff to ship it as "electronic service and repair parts" and thus is supposed to be GATT duty free ... Of course, coming our way, there would be little or no duty, taxes, tithes or tributes ... maybe that's why our dollars are in the toitie vis a vis your Euros.

FYI: The above invite to Burning Amp will give you access to our hugely inflated prices v. your Euro = Heck, a room at the Top of the Mark in SF is only US$1000 per night ... what is that? EU$ 37.50 ??

FastEddy said:
Of course, coming our way, there would be little or no duty, taxes, tithes or tributes ... maybe that's why our dollars are in the toitie vis a vis your Euros.

If I may add... You need to calculate and add price of no health care, price of no good public school, price of no real pension and retirement, only 6 weeks vs 9 - 12 months of paid maternity leave... should I continue? It would be too much to add taxes without any of above just to be correct in math. Talking about why current exchange rate sucks - eight years ago as I recall, it was quite different...
:)

" ... You need to calculate and add price of no health care, price of no good public school, price of no real pension and retirement, only 6 weeks vs 9 - 12 months of paid maternity leave... "

Congratulations! So glad to hear of your pregnancy. ... :angel:

Otherwise, the management has conveniently provided for many forums and discussion groups that cater to those topics ...

Isn't there a web forum for DIY politics? :eek:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.