The Burning Amp Festival- an Audio Happening

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
FastEddy said:
AR2, Sy, et al ...

A couple of things:

#1 That Presidio Yacht Club map is totally useless unless you have been there before ... better to use a Google Map ...

http://maps.google.com/ ... enter "37.833751, -122.474363" into map search window .... That marks the spot (front door = leads into the Bar ;) )

2) If you want to post some pictures online, I have two web domains that I'm not really using and they have room for ~ 10 Gigabytes or pictures, each (http://glassbus.com and http://24bithifi.com) ... email me ...

:smash:

Thank you Eddy,
It has been added. I liked the written directions, but Google works even better. Thank you for the server offer.

Dear fellow Burners,

An idea just crossed my mind... Last year we had several guests from other countries. SY, Variac and myself hosted them as our guests and we had a great time. We will be doing the same this year, but based on email correspondence I am getting, it seems like that we will have shortage in capacity. So, I wanted to check if there is anyone from Bay area that is interested in possibly hosting out of country guests. I could hold on that information and as I hear that someone is looking for place to stay during the Burning Amp event I will pass that info.
We really had a great time with our guests. We have organized, thanks to Variac, sailing under the Golden Gate, and thanks to SY and his friend the dinner that really could not be matched by many SF restaurants, (and we all know that is hard to beat). We are planning to do the same this year and maybe more. (more on that later)
Air fare is not a small when you are going over Atlantic, and we could make it less expensive for them. So... just write me a note if you are interested.

AR2

I could set up a listening test with 4th order filters at various frequencies so folks can find out to their own satisfaction whether phase response is audible, and at what frequencies. It would require a speaker with linear phase through the spectrum, which could be either a fullrange, or a multiway with either first-order or FIR crossovers. I can provide the amplifier and digital filtering hardware.

Anyone interested?

Re: sail in, tie up?

" ... You can tie up your boat right there. Would be smart to reserve a guest slip though.. "

The main dock is considered guest arrival and departure, strictly temporary and not for more than a few hours at most. There is plenty of anchorage and Coast Guard services are right there in the lagoon :D ... I would suggest dragging a dingy (as my wife and I always do) ... or, there may be some overnight guest slips = contact the Yacht club way ahead of time.

I believe that an afternoon excursion is possible as well as bringing your craft and staying over may be a good idea, although I would hate to see boating activity interfere with the main event(s) ... :smash:

Okay, sign me up! As with last year, I can't guarantee my attendance, due to somewhat unpredictable business travel... I won't know for sure until much closer to the date of the event.

Stuff I plan to bring:

Jim Griffin's JX92S w/ G2Si ribbon tweeter, in 0.25cu.ft. vented cabs. These are my main speakers at the moment, and boy are they nice! In their little vented cabinets, they don't have nearly as much bass output as the Seas L18's I brought last year, but they are much tighter, and are definitely more resolving across the spectrum. These have external crossovers, which I can easily interchange. So far, I have only built one XO for them, but if I have time to assemble a 2nd one, we can do some direct comparison of "budget" vs. "upgrade" components.

Fostex F120A monitors, 0.38cu.ft. vented cabs - the parts for these are on their way, so I need to assemble them and get some break-in mileage on 'em. But, I think they'll make a very interesting comparison with the Jordans. I, like many others, had a difficult time choosing between these small wide-range drivers: JX92S, FX120, or F120A. There are very few comparisons, at least that I've found, and the question seems to come up often. So hopefully this will help shed some light on that.

CUGS preamp again, only this time it's finished, including the DAC!

Maybe a digital source, maybe an amp... I don't have anything terribly exciting at the moment, but we'll see what others are going to bring and if extra is needed.

Great Chad,

you are "penciled" on the web!

For the rest of you, I will be out on vacation next two weeks and I will not be able to answer your registrations in a prompt manner, but I will do it as soon as I come back.

For the Burning Amp, I am planning to bring fully moded Behringer DCX2496 and one that is unchanged stock. Lets one for all decide if moding does "something" to it!

See you

AR2

Oh well....!

After seeing more posts on participation I change my position a bit from what I said on my PM's.
I'm registering but cannot confirm actual participation ( due to issues explained earlier!) until the nth hour. I'll have to see how that will affect the ticketing !

I really do hope that things will work out fine as October approaches. I might want to attend the RMAF also. Can I join in with a group going there ?
Cheers ,
Ashok.

Re: Oh well....!

ashok said:
After seeing more posts on participation I change my position a bit from what I said on my PM's.
I'm registering but cannot confirm actual participation ( due to issues explained earlier!) until the nth hour. I'll have to see how that will affect the ticketing !

Hello Ashok, we appreciate it any way. It will be great if you could make it. If not, we hope there will be always next year. Your effort to take such a long trip is huge encouragement and compliment for us.

Iain McNeill said:
...is there any chance we could persuade Mr. John Curl to attend? I'd be happy to chauffeur (I'd take the long way - over the Richmond Bridge just for more 1on1)

We had little bit of miscommunication last year with John. He apparently made it to the Fort Mason, but he couldn't find the event. We will definitely approach him again this year and try to organize pick up. Thank you for the offer to drive him, we will keep this in mind. Our problem last year was that we all had to be present very early and were very busy through the day... It will be definitely great to have Nelson Pass, Dr. Linkwitz and John Curl at one spot!

I already asked this before, but I will try one more time.
Last year, someone had an awesome tube amp with 6550 tubes. It sounded soooo good. Is there any chance that you guys remember who it was? In the first place it would be great if we will have a chance to hear it again, and also I would like to find out if there is schematics for that amp. It had the sweetest sound I ever heard from the amp.
Thank you

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Re: Oh well....!

ashok said:

I really do hope that things will work out fine as October approaches. I might want to attend the RMAF also. Can I join in with a group going there ?
Cheers ,
Ashok.

Ashok,

I'm also planning to go to RMAF. Would be delighted to join you and anybody else.

Jan Didden

6550 amp

Yes, I remember it well. I think the chap's name is Doug Tuthill. Apparently, he knows a radio collector friend of mine in Pismo Beach. I can try to contact him for you.

BTW, I found these home-built tetrahedron speakers clad in copper sheet using old University 308 series 200's. Very Jules Verne. I am modifying them as a sculptural speaker system for our camp at Burning Man. Next year, tube amps for them on the playa!

ACS will also be attending BA08. I'm not sure what we're bringing yet, but it will probably be something very big or very small. We will have the same test equipment that we brought last year to do linear and nonlinear driver measurments (Klippel, AP, etc).

In the spirit of "Garage cleaning" we'll be giving away Peerless 6.5" woofers to anyone that attends. The driver is an npt-11-078-1. For specs and info, go here http://home.comcast.net/~jhidley/index.html

" ... In the spirit of "Garage cleaning" we'll be giving away Peerless 6.5" woofers to anyone that attends. ..."

I also have some of the stuff a certain very generous gentleman gave me last time that I will bring along and add to the "donation pile" ... ;) ... Since I can't find enough time in my life to finish other projects, maybe someone else can find a good use ...

I might suggest an exchange / contribution / "silent auction" for a "Burning Amp Festival Donations" so that we won't ever run out of hot dogs and beer ... :smash:

Hello guys,

I am back from my short vacation and I am operational. I am ready for your registrations!

I really would be happy if all that are waiting the last moment to register, do it now since that will give us more time to produce a better schedule. It will also give me more time to produce those cool name tags with your DIY audio name and your avatar. Not to forget Burning Amp buttons and magnets!

So if you would like to have these...

Re: 6550 amp

kstlfido said:
Yes, I remember it well. I think the chap's name is Doug Tuthill. Apparently, he knows a radio collector friend of mine in Pismo Beach. I can try to contact him for you.

BTW, I found these home-built tetrahedron speakers clad in copper sheet using old University 308 series 200's. Very Jules Verne. I am modifying them as a sculptural speaker system for our camp at Burning Man. Next year, tube amps for them on the playa!

Thanks a lot kstlfido,

I appreciate it a lot. It will be great to hear it again and to maybe get schematic this time. It sounded so sweet, I highly recommend it to everyone to have a listen if we will have the opportunity this year.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.