The Burning Amp Festival- an Audio Happening

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Playa dust - makes any component sound like one that costs 10x more :devilr: And Free at the Burning Amp!!

We will have bagels and coffee in the morning, you go out for lunch (either the famous Green's restaurant and sandwich shop or Marina Safeway across the street (good sandwiches actuallly) .. as mentioned.

Also Chestnut St. is close by with lots of restaurants.

Maybe even take a stroll along the edge of the bay. .

Tea time we have cheeses and smoked salmon on crackers, bread, left over bagels, ;)

Around 6:00 PM we will send out for Authentic S.F. Burritos....

Veggie, Carne Asada, Cheeeeeken, or Fish.. My man Joel (HOel) will fix us up..

Beer, wine, sodas and waters -- always available on site.

Gotta keep our strength up . Auditioning isn't for wooosies!!

VARIAC

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Last I checked in with AR2 , he was making "Burning Amp" buttons and also name tags with each attending member's avatar, online nom d' plume, and actual name. Is that gonna be sweet or what? Of course non-members or spur of the moment attendees will have to create their own nametags, but they are very welcome...

:cool:

It's not too long of a walk (10-15 min) to Pier 39 where all the tourist food is, too. If one is feeling energetic and rich, the Ferry Building is probably a 30 minute walk along the Embarcadero (one of the most beautiful streets in the world) and has an array of high-end food and wine purveyors and superb restaurants, including Slanted Door and Taylor's Refresher. Great wine bars, too, and there's even a place that specializes in caviar and Champagne.

My dear Burners and Flamers!

Understanding urgency of the moment, and under pressure from my fellow Master Burners, I am posting the latest schedule here before I finish changes to the web site.
:D

Here you can download the schedule and see what we have planed. This still could change some but that would be fine tuning.

Instructions for use:
We have grouped related demonstrations and named them A, B, C ... Exhibitors and participants - you will find your name and time. Please let us know if there is a problem with the time - like you couldn't make it or similar...

In another word I will duck from your tomatoes, eggs and empty cans and bottles. Please post here so we could all discuss at once.

Please note - there are two pages!

Here is the schedule for the download:

Attachments

• burning amp schedule document.pdf
    85.8 KB · Views: 97
Re: Parking?

KCHANG said:
I am thinking about attending this event. Just learned about it this afternoon. I am in San Jose and plan to drive to San Francisco. Is it easy to find parking spots around the Firehouse? I can bring some small OB speakers (Fostex FX120 + Eminence 15"), but don't want to carry them for a long distance and may change my mind if parking is hard to find.

Cheers,

Kurt Chang

Hi Everyone:

Parking at the Fort Mason Center where the Firehouse is located is not free. Here are the parking rates:

First hour Free
1.0-1.5 hours $1.00
1.5-2.0 hours $2.00
2.0-2.5 hours $4.00
2.5-3.0 hours $6.00
More than 3 hours $8.00 per day

This only applies if parking is available. Sometimes the lot fills up, sometimes it doesn't. Free parking is available at the adjoining Marina Green (not a long walk at all). The entrance to the Fort Mason Center is located at the intersection of Marina Blvd. and Buchanan St. When going through the entrance, you can turn right and proceed through the Fort Mason Center gates where paid parking is, or you can park in designated any free parking spots around the Marina Green areas. If you want to drop equipment/stuff off, you can get a parking ticket from the automatic gate, drop off your goods and leave the paid parking area and not pay anything as long as your time inside the gates doesn't exceed an hour.

For food, there is a great vegetarian restaurant, Green's, located in Landmark Building A at the Fort Mason Center. For carnivores, there are restaurants in the Marina District close to the Fort Mason Center, but you'll need to walk a distance to reach them. I recommend brown bagging it, so you won't miss anything.

Re: Re: Parking?

rhing said:

Hi Everyone:

Parking at the Fort Mason Center where the Firehouse is located is not free. Here are the parking rates:

I have to disagree. There is parking in front of entrance - that one is free. The one inside of walls of Fort Mason is the one that you have listed prices for parking. Those two parkings are divided by the wall only. They are next to each other.

AR2

If you know your way around the marina area and the Fort, you can find free parking. But it ain't easy, especially for those of us who hate exercise / walking. :xeye:

If you do like a little walk, there is plenty of "free" parking over off of the "green".

(BTW: I through another 10 spot into the hat ... no need to have that spare change hanging over the event leaders' heads.)

Re: Re: Parking?

rhing said:

[snip]
For food, there is a great vegetarian restaurant, Green's, located in Landmark Building A at the Fort Mason Center. For carnivores, there are restaurants in the Marina District close to the Fort Mason Center, but you'll need to walk a distance to reach them. I recommend brown bagging it, so you won't miss anything.

As a carnivore, I'd like to say that Green's is the only vegetarian restaurant I've eaten at where I left satisfied. :cheers:

My idea is to bring a platter or a tub of slop to share so I can see and hear as much as my antique senses can handle.:hphones:

"As a carnivore .." I agree. If you need a modest contribution for an horedourve or two, say when. (Hot dogs & a good mustard = :cool:

FYI: pier 39, the former mayor's place, Alioto's, and several others are just another short hike over the hill. :wave:

Got Fat Pockets? ... take a cab down to the Embarcadero and hit some high spots ... :clown:

Our Euro visitors will appreciate that the exchange rates make a San Francisco Treat seem almost reasonable. :rolleyes:

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Best bet for food is to avoid Pier 39 like the plague and either grab a sandwich at Green's To Go Restaurant right in Fort Mason (9AM to 4PM), go to the Marina Safeway right across the street for good sandwiches and everything else that a Safeway in an upsacale neighborhood has, or head towards the Marina restaurants clustered around Chestnut street. This district is where lots of young professionals live and there are food places in abundance

Plutos (Scott at Chestnut) has great grilled or roast meat sandwiches and salads and is quitereasonable. You can get your order to go:

http://sfsurvey.com/rd.asp?r=495

Green's also has sit down meals but not at all cheap for a vegetarian restaurant, BUT if you aren't a veggie, you will STILL find good things to eat there so don't be scared off..

http://www.lovetoeatandtravel.com/Site/Sfbay/SF/Food/greens.htm

Andale Restaurant is good , innovative, Mexican food
at Chestnut and Steiner :
http://www.insiderpages.com/b/3710726548

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
www.burningamp.com loads very slowly the first time. Also maybe AR2 is loading the new schedule.

We don't need more money in advance. It is fine for anyone to bring it to the door. All interested in what we do are welcome- you don't have to be a DIY Audio member and the event isn't an official DIY Audio event...

Any extra funds will buy more snacks or drinks and part of next year's rental deposit if there is extra at the end..

Remember, you and your fellow DIYers can bring stuff to sell, and we will have some auctions as a fundraiser. For example Nelson is bringing quite a few transformers that we will auction off, raffle off, give as prizes whatever. Have you checked what the price of copper has done to transformer prices lately?

AR2 said:

Here you can download the schedule and see what we have planed. This still could change some but that would be fine tuning.

I'm in Group C, but the speakers are still in pieces as assembly was WAY more time-consuming than imagined, and blowing off my dayjob is not on the menu. Perhaps somebody else could take the spot.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
AR2 said:

Understanding urgency of the moment, and under pressure from my fellow Master Burners, I am posting the latest schedule here before I finish changes to the web site.

Dear AR2,
Thanks for letting me show some of my equipment.
Earlier I mentioned that I've got some Altec 755C drivers in some simple 2ft3 boxes that might be a good match for some of the lower power amps. Should I bother bringing these or are the sessions already too crowded?

---Gary

I just want to thank everyone who has signed up and/or donated. Vladimir, Mark, and I took a gamble with our own money (and trust me, none of us are rich!) because we believed that this sort of festival was needed. I was pessimistic that we'd ever recoup it, but felt that it was worthwhile even if it cost us- worst case, it's just the three of us and for $500 each, we could have a nice all-day party there. My honest assessment was that we'd draw maybe 20 people; we started late, everything was rushed, there were atomic bomb sized obstacles along the way... I had no idea that there would be this much interest and that we'd attract so many overseas visitors.

I'm surprised, overwhelmed, and grateful to all of you. This is going to be a LOT of fun.

GaryB said:

Dear AR2,
Thanks for letting me show some of my equipment.
Earlier I mentioned that I've got some Altec 755C drivers in some simple 2ft3 boxes that might be a good match for some of the lower power amps. Should I bother bringing these or are the sessions already too crowded?

---Gary

More is always better. It will be great for all interested to hear a piece of history. There will be, it seems, a lots of tube amps including mine 2A3s... so it would be really nice to hear Altecs. If it not a big hassle to you - please bring it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.