The Burning Amp Festival- an Audio Happening

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2006
Paid Member

Attachments

• Dachshund Super Hero.jpg
    Dachshund Super Hero.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 375
It's news to me that SEAS was there. Where was that gentleman hiding?

The least they could have done was contribute a few items to the raffle. Maybe they did and I missed it.

I may be wrong, but it sounds like one of those language subtleties: “SEAS representative was there” is not the same as “SEAS representative stayed for the duration of the event”.
He may have been there, had coffee and a bagel, and then left. And yes, he could have brought a few SEAS units for drawing or auction, but he didn't.

:)

I may be wrong, but it sounds like one of those language subtleties: “SEAS representative was there” is not the same as “SEAS representative stayed for the duration of the event”.
He may have been there, had coffee and a bagel, and then left. And yes, he could have brought a few SEAS units for drawing or auction, but he didn't.

:)

I was there for the entire duration of the event, spoke to a lot of attendees, and helped SL with setup, demos, and teardown of the Linkwitz display. Sorry if I didn't get to meet everyone. Our purpose this time was to support Siegfried and answer questions where possible. As I came from Chicago, I had to fly and carrying drivers with me, even if I had some, was out of the question. Perhaps SEAS will play a larger role at some future event, but this was our first time, and we were there in a supporting role to Linkwitz Labs.

Thanks, Graeme, that about sums up my dipoles. I've built several varied full-range designs (the Metronomes, some CSS FR125 BIB's that came to BA 2, Pioneer BOFU's in half-Changs), but this was my first shot at a 2-way using a full-range + bass support and first OB speaker.

The FE166's normally need a back-loaded horn enclosure, but seeing OB designs from Papa Nelson, Martin King and others got me wanting to give dipoles a shot. The woofers were indeed very inexpensive Jamo buyouts from PE. I plugged the published specs into MJK's OB worksheet, the efficiency looked like a match for the Fostex (in the end no attenuation was used on either end), the Q was high enough to give the hope of at least some bottom end, and they were cheap enough to make the decision pretty painless.

The crossover is a real hack job (I'm a food scientist by training, not an EE!), but the rolloffs looked pretty good and the overall response is fairly smooth. 2nd order (electrical) at 300 Hz is enough to keep the 166's from hitting their excursion limits.

Having mostly heard the OB's in too small a room with a tiny tube amp, I was surprised by how much bass Graeme's Aleph's dug out of them. I'm going to have to get a working SS amp into the stable! I make no claim of greatness for these speakers, but I've gotten more than my money's worth in fun and learning from them.

Thanks to Variac and all who put Burning Amp together - I had a great time, and look forward to the next one!

BTW, thanks to Koho for the timely loan of a soldering iron, and props on the Lowther back horns - they had a lot of very attentive listeners all day and had mid-bass impact like few speakers I've heard. Neat stuff!

Bill Mennuti

Thank you for the mention.

Bill (lousymusician) will be along to talk about these I'm sure. I can tell you that the speakers are Bill's own design. Those are Fostex 166's on top that he won at a BAF raffle a few years ago. The woofers are 4 factory close out 15's that he got from some place like Partsexpress for $90.00 total. The whole setup cost $150.00. And I agree, the system sounded really good.

There were three (very different) systems in the room and we took turns auditioning. Bill is a great guy to be teamed up with.

Graeme

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I was there for the entire duration of the event, spoke to a lot of attendees, and helped SL with setup, demos, and teardown of the Linkwitz display. Sorry if I didn't get to meet everyone.

I can attest that I saw a guy wearing a very nice suit helping Siegfried load up at the end of the show. It's great that they're supporting him with custom drivers and muscle!

Come back next year John

Thank Mark!
Thank everyone!
I had a great time!:D

Attachments

• IMG_5902.jpg
    IMG_5902.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_5894.jpg
    IMG_5894.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_5887.jpg
    IMG_5887.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_5882.jpg
    IMG_5882.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 454
  • IMG_5881.jpg
    IMG_5881.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 457
  • IMG_5879.jpg
    IMG_5879.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 473
  • IMG_5878.jpg
    IMG_5878.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 486
  • IMG_5870.jpg
    IMG_5870.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 494
  • IMG_5917.jpg
    IMG_5917.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 188
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Had a nice time and met a few more DIYers. Had a chance to look at Bob Cordells phono and measure it on the AP, very nicely done. One day is not enough.

John stone from SEAS wasn't in a suit but was there to help SL. There is a photo of him next to NP dressed in grey with glasses.

Hi Everyone,
Thanks to all of you who organized, exhibited and hosted a great event! A pleasure listening to all the presentations, and a big ''thank-you'' to Mr. Pass for taking the time to discuss and demonstrate his new designs which are very impressive.
Also to the people of Linear Systems, John Hall and Paul Norton for supporting the event. Really nice to meet with everyone, too bad it wasn't longer!

I was there for the entire duration of the event, spoke to a lot of attendees, and helped SL with setup, demos, and teardown of the Linkwitz display. Sorry if I didn't get to meet everyone. Our purpose this time was to support Siegfried and answer questions where possible. As I came from Chicago, I had to fly and carrying drivers with me, even if I had some, was out of the question. Perhaps SEAS will play a larger role at some future event, but this was our first time, and we were there in a supporting role to Linkwitz Labs.

Hi John;

Is it possible that we can organize together some plain, but extremely nice foldable line array for high-end PA for the BA the next year? It is a shame when 100 talented DIYers listen through PA system that uses hundred times cheaper speakers than a single audiophile can afford! Can we organize a new fashion in sound reinforcement?

Anatoliy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.