The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine

I just got my solar panels today from Electrozone.dk and there's some white "spots" or "marks" on one of them. Is this going to have any negative effect that you know of, Saturnus/Phaedras? Here are the pics:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

They look good apart from that. They are made of plastic as I can feel and hear when I "knock" on it. Haven't measured them yet though.

Last edited:
I've brought the new version lepai TA2020 amp. Mostly for fun.
Since the chip is the same, it should use the same amount of power as my ampb6-basic.

BUT around the volume knob theres a blue LED lamp. My fear is that this LED will use around 200mA, which will make the average power usage around double as high, as my amp6-b (i use 8ohm speakers).

Does anyone have any idea about this issue?

But I'm also kinda worried about the amp only beeing loaded on one channel.

You can do one of two thing. Parallel the channels input and output but that won't save any power or give more power, or you can short the input on one channel and put a large resistor on the output 100-200ohm should do it. That way that channel is basically shut down and will consume only a miniscule of power.

I just got my solar panels today from Electrozone.dk and there's some white "spots" or "marks" on one of them. Is this going to have any negative effect that you know of, Saturnus/Phaedras? Here are the pics:

It would be minimal if any effect but are they embedded or on the surface?

If it's embedded there's nothing you can do but if the miscolouring is on the surface you can try heating it with a hair dryer and see if it doesn't go away.

Last edited:
Like Joak I believe the time for looking for maximum sound quality and the most bass and so forth is over. I just want to know if there is any speaker out there I can fit in the cabinet which won't sound like UTTER crap. It's not like people are gonna know the difference when they are drunk :-/

Please help us out here Saturnus - people in this thread don't do it enough but, thanks. It's impressive that you take the time to help all of us and most of us forget to thank you.
I builded a 12" version. As far as I know HP12-W's are in stock in Sweden, and should be so in the rest of Europe. Even though it's bigger and heavier, I'm satisfied with the sound and rigidity of the cabinet. I used the Motorola bullet-like piezos. No filters, just like Phaedras Boominator.

Hey guys. I have been reading your posts on this site and the Roskilde-Forum site about building a Boominator :) Me and the rest of people in my camp are new to this business and i was wondering if i could get some help about making a boominator. First i would like to ask Picarro if you could give me the dimentions for your Roskilde Boominator 2010. I looked at your slideshows, and it seems alot like the one im going to build. Second im thinking about buying these parts:
I bought an Amp6basic already, so i need speaker units and accesories for the boominator:
2x MPT-005 Piezo-Hochtöner IMG STAGE LINE
HP-10W is out of stock in Europe so i have been thinking about buying these:
2x SPA-10PA PA-Tiefmitteltöner, 220WMAX, 8Ohm IMG STAGE LINE

That's my starting point and atm, im pretty lost in how to make a boominator, and which parts i need beside the speaker units and amplifier. Would be really nice if you could give me some hints and advice.

Regards Tobias

Thx mate, that's going to help me, but I have been reading alot of these threads about a boominator, but you have to consider many parametres when you build it, and that's what freaks me a bit out. As an example, we bought the Amp6basic, and now i have read on 41hz.com forum that the model we bought back in april has some defects... What im most confused about is: which cables do i have to buy to connect bass to tweeters, and so on. But also how i can control volume and turn my amplifier on/off, because i bought it without a box.

I must admit I'm not a fan of the HP12W except for bass. Midrange performance isn't nearly as good, although I suppose it's "good enough" for many uses. There's also a nasty spike at 2KHz after which it rolls off. I'd normally recommend a cross over for it at max 800Hz and preferably lower.

Have you listened to it in a "Boominator-setup"? Since I haven't compared to the original I have no point of reference. I can only relate it to my stereo equipment at home and then I recognize your description of its poor mid-range performance. It lacks pureness and spirit when playing acoustic singersongwriter music such as Tina Dico. Sounds hollow and a bit tin-like. However, when playing loud EDM in free field, I can't really find any weakness worth mentioning (exept that I always crave louder volume after some time of listening...)

Saturnus, how would you describe the sound of THE Boominator (built as intended)? And another question: Wich one of your Boominators are you gonna bring to Roskilde? Looking forward to hear a Boominator with the right equipment.

I hope that you feel proud for creating this monster-thread :p I've been following it for over one year. Fun with the quadrupled demand of HP-10w's. The dealers must be scratching their heads.

Greetings from Sweden and see you at Roskilde :)

Daniel