The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine

C-AMP designer here :)

The standard card integrates a TPA3118 class D amplifier that pulls very little quiescent current, a highpass filter set up for the Boominator design, a battery battery charger that'll also allow charging from solar panels or a 19V laptop adapter, a USB charging output that supports both android and apple devices, low battery shutdown, status indication LED, probably some other things I'm missing :)

The intent is that the card is the only piece of electronics you need in a Boominator.

The 1224DSP is a ways out, it's an ambitious project and I've got lots of research to do to move it forward, on things like missing fundamental bass enhancement. Got a prototype card done for development, but it's currently shelved while I clear other things off my plate.

Again, forgive my ignorance but does the TPA3118 have a 2x30W output?

Bluetooth?

I'm very close to being ready to start my build. PLEASE let me know when I can purchase a C-AMP! I have a deadline of a few weeks into January (youth sport tournaments start)! What are the chances that this could happen? I would just hate to purchase something of lesser quality and wish I would have done things different!

The card runs off 12V, so it'll top out at about 15 watts RMS/30 watts peak per channel in theory - this is the upper limit of every 12V powered amp that doesn't integrate a step up supply of some sort. The Boominator design is efficient enough that the amp power is plenty.

No Bluetooth; didn't design it in because putting the card in a metal box would block the RF and external antennas are a pain in the ***. You can buy a Bluetooth audio receiver that looks like a USB stick for dirt cheap off ebay, power it off the amp and feed the audio output back into the amp and you've got the feature.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

C-AMP

As for availability, I'll see if I can hook you up with a card soon. Where are you located? (Can't tell on mobile)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Hey Gmarsh - We chatted a few months back, I think over the summer. I have been eagerly waiting for the C-AMP to be released for a while. I'm located in Portland, OR. Let me know if/when they're available. Thanks!

I have been studying this thread and other boominator sites online for the last few months trying to learn as much as possible on this system before I begin trying to build my own. The wood working part will be easy for me but the electronics part is over my head! I am located in the USA so some parts were hard to find but I think I have my parts list complete. The attached images are preliminary drawings for my boominator and a parts list / budget.

Questions:
  • Can you guys look this over and see if anything looks way off please?
  • Anything I am missing?
  • Anywhere I can save some money (total seems pretty high)?
  • Does anyone have a complete wiring guide they would be willing to share?

ABayley - I haven't actually built mine yet, mostly because I've been waiting for the C-AMP to be available, but I believe this is the right wiring if you go with the HP10Ws and the PHT-407Ns:

Attachments

• boominator_diagram_jamie_rev0.9.jpg
    boominator_diagram_jamie_rev0.9.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 615
Final Check List

Thanks for all of the help from people in this forum, especially lutkeveld, I think I am ready to start ordering parts. Below is my parts list, construction plans and wiring diagram. I want to get some more eyes on this for one last look-over so please let me know if anyone sees better options for parts, tweaks to design dimensions, or wiring options.

Parts.jpg

Plan_1.jpg

Plan_2.jpg

Wiring.jpg

Thanks for all of the help from people in this forum, especially lutkeveld, I think I am ready to start ordering parts. Below is my parts list, construction plans and wiring diagram. I want to get some more eyes on this for one last look-over so please let me know if anyone sees better options for parts, tweaks to design dimensions, or wiring options.

View attachment 518791

View attachment 518792

View attachment 518793

View attachment 518797

i guess you actually need 2 speakergrills more, cause you have 4 x 10" speakers and only 2 x 10" speakergrills....

Image View - TIS

GMARSH, I am know that your c-AMP will make things MUCH easier for my build (which I very much appreciate). I have ordered the parts for my Boominator based on the c-AMP. Most of the parts will be here in a week or two. The event at which I want to use this for the first time will take place on the last weekend of January. Is there any way I can get a c-AMP in the next 2-3 weeks so I can get to building in order to meet that deadline? I just hate to order all of these parts and then have to re-design and re-order some parts if the c-AMP doesn't pan out. PLEASE HELP!

Help!!!

Got my first chance to really let rip with my boominator away from civilisation and I was more then a little underwhelmed. It was loud but there was no weight to the sound, it was tinny with no bottom end.

I've done a bit of reading through the thread and found that it might be drivers out of phase so I tested all the drivers with a battery to check I had the positive and negative the right way round and that all checked out.

I'm not 100% on what I should be getting out of my boominator out how fault find so any suggestions would be really appreciated.