The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine

The magnets or the speaker frames must be in solid physical contact with the center brace and the other magnet/speaker frame. The PVC tube solution is the easiest and most solid way but you can measure a piece of wood and do it with that instead. Doesn't have to be a PVC tube cardboard poster tubes would work just as well if you remember to seal them from moisture (painting them with primer being the obvious solution).

Last edited:
I'm having a problem with low output to the speakers.

I´m using the Sure Electronics bluetooth 4.0 module, MiniDSP 2x4 X-over and a 4 channel Sure Electronics TK2050 amp.

The problem seems to be with the MiniDSP module. It has a lower output than the bluetooth module and therefor it doesn´t get as load as without the MiniDSP module.

What metheds have you used to make the MiniDSP module have a higher output?
(Or am i a complete fool and have overlooked something obvious! :) )

I tried using the module without any filtering at all.
With and without the volume control.
Maxing all the gain settings in the MiniDSP software (This gave a LOT of noise and still not the same level as without the module)

Your first problem is probably the low input sensitivity of the TK2050. People that used the AMP6 (TA2020) often made a mod that increases the input sensitivity to get the max output, even with low output devices like mobile phones. This also can be done with the TK2050. Small problem is that increasing sensitivity causes the BT module to overload the amp, but you can attenuate the signal to fix that.

Second, do you already have the MiniDSP set to 0,9v input? This way it reaches max output with less input. Not a problem if your source is powerful enough to max out at 2v.

Third, do you have any pictures of your project? Sounds interesting :)

Oh yeah maybe. Same problem just looking at a different component ;) But thanks. hadn´t really thought of that.
Mayby i´ll be lucky finding someone else who has modded the Sure TK2050 amp for higher sensitivity.

I´m using 2.0v input. The bluetooth module can supply a high enough output, to drive it near clipping.

Thanks :) My smartphone is dead due to a bicycle accident. But i´m hoping for some good January sales and i´ll upload some then

Changing the input gain of the TK2050 is a very easy thing to do. You just have to change 2 resistors: the feedback or input resistors. I think that there are some smart people here that can tell you how much gain you'll need with a 0,9v input. Then locate the resistors on the PCB and change/piggyback them.

I'd suggest leaving the DSP on 2v input and using a little headphone amp to boost the output of your device.

Me and my friend are making a lot of progress on our Boominator. It's fun to see him, someone who didn't know anything about audio, so actively involved in routing, glueing, soldering etc. We're almost at the point that we can make a dry test clamp and do a test play.

Oh yeah maybe. Same problem just looking at a different component ;) But thanks. hadn´t really thought of that.
Mayby i´ll be lucky finding someone else who has modded the Sure TK2050 amp for higher sensitivity.

I found out how to mod the Sure TK2050 to get the higher input sensitivity. But it entails tearing it completely apart, because of the board layout and i don´t have the necessary tools to do so.

Now i´m looking for a different amp.

What paramaters do i need to look at, to insure that it can be driven by the MiniDSP? Input impedance?

Have any of you tried the Sure Electronics STA508 with the MiniDSP?
Sure Electronics STA508

mini DSP

I'm currently using the passive filter design with the hp10s and pht-407s with an amp6 on my boominator. I was thinking of switching to a mini dsp setup and wanted to know if I would be better off running the mini DSP with two amp6's or running my spare hifimediy T2 (2x100w) at 24v. Ive got plenty of battery to run either 12v or 24v. I don't have much experience with the mini DSP, but wanted to know what would have the better performance.

Additionally, does anyone have the most current mini DSP settings for running 2 and 4 channels or some sort of guide for setting it up? Can the DSP be used in a 2 channel setup with one 2 channel amp? If not, I might lean towards obtaining another hifimediy T2, but I'm not sure what the power consumption would be with two of those amps at 24v. I'm running two 15ah batters in my boominator, so 30h at 12v and 15ah at 24v. Thanks in advance

Jeff

Last edited: