The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine

https://www.xiameter.com/EN/EXPLORESILICONES/PRODUCTTYPES/SEALANTS/Pages/Acetoxy-Sealants.aspx

No. Acetoxy releases acetic acid, which is corrosive. It's specifically not corrosion free. You want silicon which does not produce acetic acid as it cures (which has a very distinct smell). If you can't find "corrosion free" try asking for "acetic acid free," or just google acetic acid free silicone.

Exactly. Acetic acid smells like vinegar. So if it smells like vinegar you can't use it.

Elm327, I'm however not surprised you have trouble finding anyone that even knows what you're talking about as water based non-corrosive silicons have been standard in the Nordic countries for at least the last 20 years. It is exceptionally hard to find an acetic acid based silicone based here anymore if not ordered specifically.

The whole point about it was more directed at builders in countries where acetic based silicones are still stock items at hardware stores.

I'm planing on building a boominator. The speakers i will use is P.Audio HP HP-10W and P.Audio PHT-407N. The amp im planning to use is a Maxamp20, will this be enough? And what resistor and filters should i use ? I'm quite a newbie to this so if someone would have a wiring diagram with all components one i would be very glad

I bought some silicon substitut tec7, more expensive but i don't need more than a tube.

Thank you Saturnus for all your work!

Mange: I have exactly the same components in my build, i use 47 ohms 3w metalfilm resistors from elfa.

The swedish computerforum Sweclockers have their own thread on the boominator, i found the electronic schedule there. Boominator-tråden (även övriga musiklådor) - Ljud - SweClockers.com

Hello again

My blue aran order has been delivered so I've been hunting down everything else I need to get started. I'm just going to chuck some links here and I'm hoping I can get a thumbs up or down for each.

I can't find wisa-form but I can get hexa-grip, a viable substitute?

WISA-Hexa Grip

47 ohm resistor, right one?

ERG3SJ470 - PANASONIC - RESISTOR METAL FILM, 47OHM, 5%, AXIAL | Farnell element14 UK

Liquid metal?

Unibond 360767 Repair Metal For Good 280ml | General Purpose Sealants | Screwfix.com

Silicone?

No Nonsense Builders Silicone Clear 310ml | Building Sealants | Screwfix.com

Long shopping list but hopefully the right components.

I'm planing on building a boominator. The speakers i will use is P.Audio HP HP-10W and P.Audio PHT-407N. The amp im planning to use is a Maxamp20, will this be enough? And what resistor and filters should i use ? I'm quite a newbie to this so if someone would have a wiring diagram with all components one i would be very glad
I do recommend to use Muse TP2020 based boards, sounds better, is cheaper and has larger input caps (=works better when used with a wall socket AC/DC adapter) than the Maxamp20 and the difference in power is neglitable. The power is imho enough.
Another alternative is the Lepai LP2020A+ (also TP2020 Chip), does cost a little less than the maxamp20 (but more than the Muse), is much bigger and has less outputpower than the Maxamp20, but sounds very nice, is already cased, also has no problem when used with a wall socket, and as biggest feature has bass&treble control on it.

If you want to go higher than what these amps can deliver you need 24V or more - for example with an good step-up booster module (150W or something, to push your 12V battery to 24-32V DC, usual ones have an effeciency of about 80-90%) and depending on used amplifier maybe also additional input caps (as step ups may produce buzzing). Or of couse you could also use a second 12V battery and put them in a row to get 24V. I do recommend TK2050 (HiFimeDIY.com has good ones) or cheap 2.0 (not 2.1, a few of them aren't good) TPA3116 based (needs less idle power than TK2050 but doesn't sound exactly as nice for my ears) boards, you can easily get 2x50W to 2x100W or even more.

Instead of that you could also use 12V car amplifiers which have a step-up build in, but generally they are less energy-efficient and more expensive.

Last edited:
Me and my friend are about to make the final order for the Boominator.

Accusafe measured our piezos with a LCR meter, which probably measures at 1khz. The tweeters were around 90nf, when calculating a 3.5khz RC HPF that translates to +/-500 ohm. That's more than a factor 10 higher than the recommended 47 ohm.

We really want to begin building on Monday (christmas holiday :)). Was the 47 ohm measured with the Monacor's or the Motorola's? Otherwise we'll order 47 and 150 ohm resistors and try what sounds better.

By the way: can we wire the piezos parallel so that they only needs one resistor (half of the value ofc) per channel?

Last edited: