The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine

Hi Guys!

I've finaly finished my boominator backpack! Thanks to Saturnus of course, and thanks to Wesley who has been incredibly helpful. I've called him so many times with probably dumb questions... THANKS!

Because I wanted to make a backpack boominater I used the lightweight Basslite S2010 woofers. I can't compare the sound to the other designs, but it's impressive! Not just the loudness, but especially the sound quality. Probably due to the 2 maxamps and Mini DSP as well. I've used two 9.2 Ah LiFePo4 batteries, so it should last a long time...

So now its time for the mini... Good luck to everyone, hope to meet you all someday at a boominator meet up in the Netherlands - Wesley? :)

Tijl

Attachments

• Portable Boominator 2.jpg
    Portable Boominator 2.jpg
    552.9 KB · Views: 582
  • Portable Boominator 1.jpg
    Portable Boominator 1.jpg
    752.1 KB · Views: 549
  • Portable Boominator 3.jpg
    Portable Boominator 3.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 542
  • Portable Boominator 5.jpg
    Portable Boominator 5.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 483
Nicely done! Big backpack, the mini should be a lot more 'backpackable' :). Any photos of the build process?

There are only 4 Boominators in the Netherlands to my knowledge, but a general boombox meetup would be cool. The Boominator is making it's way up tho, so maybe next year there could be a real Boominator meeting :).

Been following the forum for a few months and I am finally looking to add a mini to the Netherlands collection. Ordered my speakers, maxamp etc from Accusafe last week. Now I'm searching for a battery, usually I get my lipos from hobbyking but their LiFePos are too big for this project, does anyone have a good/cheap supplier who ships to the Netherlands?

Started modelling up the box for laser cutting today with the same joining detail as Lutkeveld's, will upload the file when I'm done. What size did you end up making your speaker hole cutouts in the end Lutkeveld?

Been following the forum for a few months and I am finally looking to add a mini to the Netherlands collection. Ordered my speakers, maxamp etc from Accusafe last week. Now I'm searching for a battery, usually I get my lipos from hobbyking but their LiFePos are too big for this project, does anyone have a good/cheap supplier who ships to the Netherlands?

Started modelling up the box for laser cutting today with the same joining detail as Lutkeveld's, will upload the file when I'm done. What size did you end up making your speaker hole cutouts in the end Lutkeveld?

The 2S2P 4200mAh LiFePO4 should fit if you route out 1mm of the sides. Or you could make the front baffles a double stack of 3mm plywood and only extent one layer to the electronics compartiment. This way you have 144mm to work with, keep in mind that you'll have to factor in the 3mm side when making the tabs on the side wood piece.

I measured 94mm to be the correct cutout, fitted perfectly. But be sure to measure it yourself, especially the depth of the speaker. As mentioned, mine didn't line up and I had to make a hole in the centre brace. A bit of a sin for what otherwise would be a perfect enclosure.

Does anyone recommend any other prebuilt amps for the boominator other than the amp 6, from 41 hz? that runs on 12 volts. My hands are far to shaky to deal with soldering boards myself. And the stock of the pre-assembled amp 6. is not always there. Would like to have other options if possible. Thanks.

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone could weigh in on component alternatives for the boominator mini that were easier to source in the US?

Over the last several weeks, I've read through a good-size chunk of this thread (realistically still only 20-40% probably, haha), and the entire thread over at speakerplans. I've seen that this question has been asked a few times, but I don't think I ever saw an answer - or at least forgot, then could not find it again after searching over the last few days. I seem to remember that after the original aura speakers were discontinued, Saturnus made modifications to the cabinet to accommodate the SP60s.

First, is it feasible at all to try to get another speaker "close" to the SP60? Just trying to match on listed specs, this speaker seemed to be the closest I've found so far. I'm not so concerned with the lower sensitivity, if it only means less volume, but I'm more worried that it would be unsuited for the cabinet or that the different frequency response couldn't be compensated for by adjusting the crossover. The difference in price for me to purchase these vs shipping speakers from europe is over $70, so I thought it worthwhile to ask.

Second, when I was looking back at an amp I'd found back before I discovered the boominator project, I noticed that it is also a max9744 based part. Would this be a reasonable substitution for the maxamp20? I notice that the maxamp is using two caps vs one showing on the adafruit. Adafruit says theirs is for smoothing out the input power (which shouldn't be an issue on battery power, right?), where I'm guessing the maxamp might be using theirs on the outputs. Looking at the datasheet for the max9744, I see that it supports two output modes: Filterless Modulation and PWM, for which they recommend using an output filter. Would I realistically even hear the difference between the two modes and if so, could I just add my own output filter using the specs in the max9744 datasheet?

Sorry if the answers to these questions are obvious, or have been answered before. I've been trying to educate myself, but this is a complicated subject, and I'm coming in completely blind. It might be worth noting as well that my overall plan for this application is mostly going to be fed from a variety of compressed music sources, which might moot some of the quality differences - Spotify HQ, Airplay stream, and BT A2DP. Thanks!

I've been thinking of building a campout party machine with a car stereo that plays CDs Tuner, Bluetooth for streaming audio from a smartphone, and USB memroid chips. I'd get a big 12V battery and use a switch mode poweramp (added if not already in the car stereo). For drivers I'd probably go with Peerless as the default, but also consider more efficient drivers. The trick is to keep it small and have decent bass in an outdoor environment. I'd probably add active EQ and/or tone controls if the poweramp would be separate. I'd also add a USB port for charging phones since bluetooth streaming from phones is getting more common.

I've been thinking of building a campout party machine with a car stereo that plays CDs Tuner, Bluetooth for streaming audio from a smartphone, and USB memroid chips. I'd get a big 12V battery and use a switch mode poweramp (added if not already in the car stereo). For drivers I'd probably go with Peerless as the default, but also consider more efficient drivers. The trick is to keep it small and have decent bass in an outdoor environment. I'd probably add active EQ and/or tone controls if the poweramp would be separate. I'd also add a USB port for charging phones since bluetooth streaming from phones is getting more common.

I'm not sure what this has got to do with a Boominator.

Lutkeveld, I'd definitely go with switchmode poweramps to keep power dis as low as is practical, but a relatively conventional car stereo front end seems like a good way to get all the features I'd want, and it shouldn't need to draw that much current since it would have no poweramps built in. If I wanted to be minimalist, I'd just build a stereo preamp with my 4 section Baxandall tone control circuit, rig it for blue tooth, and provide a 5V USB port to power the phone off of. Along with switchmode poweramps and speakers. I'd also very probably biamp, so overdrive wouldn't be as likely to destroy the whole frequency range. My relatively cheap/old Samsung Exhibit smartphone has a few audio functions that make it both the music storage device and a remote control if that option is desired. I'd add an AUX in jack too. Some say CD's a passe, and USB chips as storage devices for the music seems great but then you need a way to display what's in them, create a song list to be played, or go random, and a way to convert that to an analog feed. Doing that is outside of my skill set at this point. Maybe a smartphone is a good enough front end all by itself... I'd also add external speaker jacks in case I ended up in a place where someone else had much better speakers. I would switch off the internal speakers and go with those.

Saturnus, Maybe nothing. It's a portable stereo. What else does it need to be?
Just thought I'd throw in my thoughts and see what I might learn.

Last edited: