The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine

@Saturnus

You once mentioned that if one has space between the magnet and the centerbrace one should use X and glue it with 2 component glue. What was that X and what is it called in danish and preferably where can i find it ? :p

My boominator must be the oldest one in the works :D I've started my project in 2011 :D and since then one kid, a new house and a second kid is on the way kind of a projects have been more important :D:D I am trying to get back on track now and hopefully finalizing the project.

Silas, looking good! Hope to catch up at Roskilde.

Managed to finish my Mini V2 in time for the midsummer weekend.

Sounds very nice though it does respond well to a bit of added base on the in app eq on my phone. (I use the eq10 app)

A huge thanks to all the people who took the time to answer my questions and of course Saturnus for making the design available to us.

Got stuck in deciding to go for a retro or modern look and tried to go with both in the end.
Also due to time restraints (i.e tidying my mistakes) I went with the rough sawn look instead of the original plan to try to get everything as straight as possible using filler and paint.

No I haven't got speaker grills as I just couldn't decide on what to do. I will need to keep an eye on it but then it doesn't have corner bash protecters ether.

Good news is I managed to squeeze in bluetooth as well as an 8.4Ah 4S LifePo4 batt and a full charging management system with fuel gauge which makes charging super easy.

Total length is 510mm as I needed more space for electronics (76mm) and a bit more space in the enclosures as I had to beef up the corners for the routing.

A few tips:

Everything takes a lot longer than you think..
The sp60 seems to me 61mm deep instead of 60. (Off the top of my head)
And check the thickness of the ply as Saturnus said. I managed to get caught out even though I had been warned. (It was sold as 6mm but was 6.5mm)
Bluetooth has its limits but I use it 95 percent of the time so it is worth it for me.
But be gentle with the Sure BT units when installing as they are super fragile.

Have more pics of the build if anyone wants them.

Attachments

• DSC08551.jpg
    DSC08551.jpg
    719.5 KB · Views: 614
  • DSC08548.jpg
    DSC08548.jpg
    898.5 KB · Views: 754
  • DSC08393.jpg
    DSC08393.jpg
    952.9 KB · Views: 583
  • DSC08396.jpg
    DSC08396.jpg
    926.9 KB · Views: 584
  • DSC08373.jpg
    DSC08373.jpg
    601 KB · Views: 524
Last edited:
Cheers!

Donnib,
It would be sweet if they where solar cells but sadly they are not.

The BT Module is made by Sure Electronics.
The Charge Controller is from Alibaba:
Amp is a maxamp.

CV323 -CMB(charging management board) For 4S Lifepo4 battery pack, View lifepo4 charging management pcb, AYAA Product Details from Shenzhen Ayaa Technology Co., Ltd. on Alibaba.com

I just plug a 19v switch mode PSU into a socket which is located in the top of the left front grill to charge.
There is a momentary button on the top of the right grill which lights up leds behind the grill cloth to display the voltage.
The Charging Management Board seems to work well and the company was good to deal with though it takes ages and you need to order at least 4.

The battery is from HobbyKing:
Radio Control Planes, Helicopters, Cars, Boats, FPV and Quadcopters - Hobbyking

Note the battery is 150mm long which means the bottom is flush with the outside of the boombox and the reason why the electronic cover is not recessed.
Hobby King do a smaller 4.2Ah batt that will fit easier but I already had the bigger batt and love the run times it can achieve.
Also note these batteries do not have a BMS or anything. I have used them in the past without a BMS and just used a hobby balance charger but if you forget to turn the boombox off it will kill your expensive batteries.

I love the simplicity of having a BMS or even better a CMB as it looks after the charging. (Charging Management Board)

Last edited:
Woytek,

Haven't had a nice quiet open space to really test it out properly yet.

That said I have had it on a lawn near a busy road and a fair bit of wind and as long as you were close enough it could punch through the ambient noise well.

Its important to keep things in perspective as its a boombox with 4 inch drivers.
That said the biggest problem for me with boomboxes outdoors is ambient noise and provided you aren't too far away the Mini V2 copes very well.

I find it benefits from a bit of an eq base boost, at which point she cranks nicely and has a full large sound. However it is possible that at higher volumes the base will be more prominent even with a flat eq.

One other thing you notice is the weight, its super heavy for its size!
It makes it feel more like pro audio but make sure you fit a decent handle if you plan to carry it around a lot.

And lastly most speaker systems sound better after a burn in period so its exciting to think it may sound even better soon..

It's important to note that it's also intended for both indoors and outdoors use. It's quite natural to expect you'd need eq'ing of the bass outside. Inside it should be just right as it is.

That is the unfortunate compromises one has to make in such designs. The MINI, as previously mentioned, is intended for the active young person that needs the possibility of music on the go but also wants a high quality sound system to use in the house/room. Unlike the full Boominator which is intended as an outdoors semi-professional active speaker system, ideally suited for festivals, beach parties and similar situations.

Also, I think some people don't realize just how tiny the MINI really is.

Last edited:
United States

Hey guys,

Been reading through the thread over the last few weeks, and I can't seem to find anywhere where the correct woofers are available in America or a viable alternative (the Goldwood GW-1058 seem to have been ruled out). Has anyone had any luck recently getting the HP10W's shipped here?

Thanks in advance.

Tweeter:

Gain: -5.2dB
HP 2302.21hz BW 18dB/oct (must be butterworth or bessel. Cannot be 12 or 24dB/oct)
LP 21120.0hz peaking LR 12dB/oct +4dB peak gain (if it does not have peaking LR filter then make it by having EQ +3dB@20khz)

Woofer:

Gain: 0dB
HP: 63.2132hz LR 48dB/oct
LP: 2171.62hz LR 24dB/oct

First of all, allow me to thank you in no small amount for sharing this project with the wider community. One more hooked boominatorer here.

In reference to the quote above, I am using mini dsp with 2way Crossover ADV 2.1

I cannot find a peaking filter in that software for the tweeter as you have mentioned. Am I right in understanding that I ignore this LP altogether, and just apply the 3dB boost at 20kHz after the crossover? and what Q amount should I use? (0.5 is default)

I can't seem to find anywhere where the correct woofers are available in America. Has anyone had any luck recently getting the HP10W's shipped here?

if you look back to the May time frame you will see some discussion around www.usspeaker.com. The did place a special order for 5 or 6 of us. I don't know if they ordered any extras but it might be worth giving them a call.

Almeng,
Thanks.
I stopped counting a while ago though at one point i guessed it would be around 400 euro.

I have opted for some of the more expensive options like charging controller and larger LifePo4 battery.

However a large part of the costs is actually the small things like glues and switches and even more so shipping of small parts from different places.
I have bought/used 3 different types of sealer/glues and have a bunch of stuff left over.

It would be a lot cheaper to get a small group of people together like I did to bulk buy. Though in reality most people dont have the time/energy and the other 2 guys pulled out before the assembly stage so I couldnt share construction material costs.

I´ve got an amp9 and searching for how to connect it into two channels. I think there was a document for the parallelling on 41hz.com. But that site is down, and been so for a long time. Would appreciate if someone knew how to parallell inputs into two outputs.

I had a cabel connected before but had to redo it. So now it doesen´t play as loud as it did before, think it is connected wrong.