The best sounding audio integrated opamps

humm OPA211ID sounded absolutely identical to OPA132U to me...but well, it would prolly either come from poor design matching or crappy browndogs(that chinese guy on ebay really says that their SOIC8>DIP8 adapters are worthless). I think I also tried OPA1612, but on browndog's too.

anyway, it's great that we all have a favorite! I don't think that there's such a thing as a "best opamp", they all have pros & cons...you simply need to find your favorite chip, the one w/ the less cons to you :cool:

what about OPA627 btw? Op-Amps - Op-Amps - OpAmps - opa627 - AD797AN - LM4562?

Last edited:
It isn't a very fast chip. Its full power bandwidth is just 280 KHz, IIRC. The LT1028 is a faster chip, and it hears because it resolves the minute details better. On the other hand the AD797 (ANZ) sounds a little warmer. I don't mind it, as I prefer transparency to warmth, when I've got to choose.

The OPA1611 has a little more warmth/fullness and color than the OPA211, with the same transparency. :)

when I get my browndog's next week, I will solder the AD797B directly onto them(the less sockets the better) and will try the 1028 again w/o the burson...but it seemed to sound "thin", I don't think that'll change.

I understand several DAC datasheets from CS/BB advise to use the LT1028 as I/V...so maybe it's better for I/V than LPF, it could also be good as final buffer behind the AD797B LPF..time will tell :)

PS: what's the other dual chip you mentioned from AD? the 825 has a DIP8 version, maybe my seller could source it: ad825an - Google Search

Last edited:
Delayed post from 3rd of December

Dear all,
I originally intended to post the below attached at 3rd of December, but for some unknown reason the post 'went astray'.
I hope it's OK to post it now.
Sincerely yours
a1greatdane

Hi Andrea,
please allow me to disagree with Your assessment of the National chip.
I have tried it in various applications (gain structures, position in the audio chain etc.) and still find the NE in overall performance superior, particularly when it comes to way the lower end of the register is handled. I'm using good grade US of A manufactured ones and not various Sino clones...
Furthermore, since I'm mainly a 'Speaker kind of Guy', my in house system is flat down to 20Hz with 2 x 15"/4"VC coil 6 Ohm devotedly by me redesigned/modified AlNiCo drivers per side, in 140L closed cab each and due to the room loading of the drivers incl. measurements with my HP35665A, B&K 4133 mic, B&K 2606 pre amp, I know I'm not talking wished for figures... So I'm pretty sure in my assessment of those chips.
As I exclaimed in an earlier post - it's a bit of a minefield with NE's, but when You get a good one, then it is just that.
I will given the opportunity courtesy of Linear Technology get back to You, with Your kind acceptance of course, as promised with my (and other qualified ears) findings/assesment regarding the LT1028. Samples are on order and has been shipped from the US of A, so it now depends on the local UK office/rep.

Kind regards
'Dr' O aka a1greatdane

PS: Note; I have tried various versions of the National chip IE: 4562, LME 49860 etc. etc.

Dear all,
I originally intended to post the below attached at 3rd of December, but for some unknown reason the post 'went astray'.
I hope it's OK to post it now.
Sincerely yours
a1greatdane

Hi Andrea,
please allow me to disagree with Your assessment of the National chip.
I have tried it in various applications (gain structures, position in the audio chain etc.) and still find the NE in overall performance superior, particularly when it comes to way the lower end of the register is handled. I'm using good grade US of A manufactured ones and not various Sino clones...
Furthermore, since I'm mainly a 'Speaker kind of Guy', my in house system is flat down to 20Hz with 2 x 15"/4"VC coil 6 Ohm devotedly by me redesigned/modified AlNiCo drivers per side, in 140L closed cab each and due to the room loading of the drivers incl. measurements with my HP35665A, B&K 4133 mic, B&K 2606 pre amp, I know I'm not talking wished for figures... So I'm pretty sure in my assessment of those chips.
As I exclaimed in an earlier post - it's a bit of a minefield with NE's, but when You get a good one, then it is just that.
I will given the opportunity courtesy of Linear Technology get back to You, with Your kind acceptance of course, as promised with my (and other qualified ears) findings/assesment regarding the LT1028. Samples are on order and has been shipped from the US of A, so it now depends on the local UK office/rep.

Kind regards
'Dr' O aka a1greatdane

PS: Note; I have tried various versions of the National chip IE: 4562, LME 49860 etc. etc.
Hi,

It's OK, as everyone values different things. I don't believe that any opamp is completely "superior" or "inferior" to any other. Well, if we don't take into account the extremes...like the UA741.

At any rate, have you tried the LM/LME's available in TO99? Those are the most interesting, IMO. They also handle the bass clearly better than the plastic correspondents.

Also, tried the LME49723? I know it may be technically "inferior" to the popular LME's, but it just sounds better... I don't know, fuller, more dynamic, favoring the mid/treble less... and with a slightly more intense tonal color. It's surely not technically inferior to the NE5532, since it's faster and should have lower THD overall; apart from slightly higher noise possibly (haven't compared in detail).

At any rate, I guess I'd prefer to use the OPA1612 now, along with the LME49720HA.

Last edited:
Later I'll try to bias the SVDAC05's LT1028ACN8s (well, their output stages) into class A with 12K ohm (power supply +/- 15.3V). I'm curious, especially as I can compare directly with the LT1028CS8 of my other DAC (which right now sounds a bit better).

Last edited:
humm taking out the final buffer on my soundcard is always a relief...but sound is "thinner", and my browdog's haven't even shipped.

maybe it's time to drop 2*LT1028CS8 on a browndog as final buffer, the 1028ACN8 gave some crazy bass as final buffer behind the LT1124..I'll roll them later today

hehe, you didn't hear the AD797B...why so serious?

I'm happy w/ the SS and general color, but I could use a tad more low end bass tbh...and that's exactly what the 1028ACN8 was giving me as final buffer! time to hear whether the 1028CS8 on browndog's can match it :spin:

Last edited:
ok, currently listening to this: http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/6769/1028797.jpg

I can't really hear the 1028 tbh :p

there seems to be a lot more low end bass response, but nothing else seems to have changed...need more time to find out :)

gonna get some more browndog's to try 2*LT1677 as final buffer.

I also have 1363's and 49722MA on browndog's, but don't really feel like rolling them atm.

Last edited:
humm, strange...the 1028 digs even deeper for small details :eek:

it seems that the more detailed the final buffer, the more little happenings you get in the end :)

I'm hearing new stuff in the SS extremes on that Ennio Morricone compilation...makes me wonder about 6*AD797BN :p

the picture is ugly, but the chips are properly soldered ;)

Last edited:
humm, strange...the 1028 digs even deeper for small details :eek:

it seems that the more detailed the final buffer, the more little happenings you get in the end :)

I'm hearing new stuff in the SS extremes on that Ennio Morricone compilation...makes me wonder about 6*AD797BN :p

the picture is ugly, but the chips are properly soldered ;)

Interesting. :)

If you want to go all-AD797... well, go. :p

The LT1028 is a detail champ (not only - but it is). Why don't you try to combine OPA1612 and LT1028.

yes, you're reading my mind :p

I was doing an inventory of the possible contenders and I found:
3x OPA827AID
5x OPA1611AID
2x LT1677IS8

I will order some more browndog's, any of these 3 or LT1028ACN/AD797BN could compliment the AD797B AK4396 LPF quite nicely I think :)

well, the 1028CS8 as final buffer gives lots more bass, but the trebles have become somewhat dark...it took from the upper spectrum to give to the lower.

humm LT1677 is also available in DIP8..interesting :p

Last edited: