The best sounding audio integrated opamps

yes 1028 was nice as final buffer, but as AK4396 LPF it was thin-sounding.

anyway, I loooove the bass on that 797BN through the Burson, great SS + killer bass...I'll give more time to my brain to burn-in to its upper spectrum. wathever counterbass or drums sound mind blowing.

overblown mids are not good, I'll take overblown bass if I have to choose...I think :p

PS: I think the trebles are just too crowded, they resonate badly in my ear canal...much better like this:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

it's easier to kill trebles than to increase bass(which is impossible ^^)...and MANY op-amps are bass-shy(49720NA>49720HA).

it starting to sound amazing, even on male vocals :cloud9:

this one will be hard to roll I think! even chinese percs sound amazing :gnasher:

Last edited:
been there, done that..720HA has much more bass than NA, but the trebles are dark and ugly...and it clearly cannot touch the Burson as final buffer.

it's got a wide SS, but it's completely dull and artificial...I will never try National op-amps ever again...I even have a 49722MA on browndog I could try, but bleh.

anyway AD797B didn't steal its reputation, very nice chip!

but if the only diff between 49720NA/HA is the package, it makes me wonder about the ceramic 1124 :p

Last edited:
been there, done that..720HA has much more bass than NA, but the trebles are dark and ugly...and it clearly cannot touch the Burson as final buffer.

it's got a wide SS, but it's completely dull and artificial...I will never try National op-amps ever again...I even have a 49722MA on browndog I could try, but bleh.

anyway AD797B didn't steal its reputation, very nice chip!

but if the only diff between 49720NA/HA is the package, it makes me wonder about the ceramic 1124 :p
You didn't put the LME49720HA on the proper Browndog TO99->DIP adapter, did you? I ask because, as I said some time ago elsewhere, just bending the pins to stuff it on a DIP socket didn't let it sound like it could. At least, I'd started to really like it only after I got my TO99 Browndogs :)

Anyhow, there actually was something tiring in the mid/treble of the LME49720HA, I don't know...

It may have had a slightly bigger sound than the LME49723, slightly more transparency too... yet, the LME49723 is the one that I simply enjoyed the most... oh well, perhaps it benefits by being designed for the mass market :eek::cool:

Last edited:
good point, but I don't like the SS of the 4972x serie anyway...too artifial to my taste.

I'm thinking about trying combinations w/ the AD797B...but I know that what gives the crazy SS is the burson, so it's a tough call...4*797B + 1*LT1124/1211 or 2*LT1124/1211+2*797B as final buffer, hummm

trebles are dark, but bass and mids are really nice...it definitely sounds vynilistic.

I've ordered more browndog's, I wanna try AD797B+1028ACN8 combinations :p

ah well, I don't trust the SOIC8>DIP8 browndog's...all I get is whiney trebles, waste of time and money.

anyway, I'm gonna take off the burson...I wanna hear what the AD797BN has to say on its own w/o a final buffer :)

and I'll soon have my burson headphones amp, I'd rather avoid double burson coloring tbh.

not sure, but soldering is a pain anyway..and AD797BN has great potential! many ppl rave about AD797AN because BN has been long time phased out, but I don't think AN would be better.

ok, currently listening to this: http://img187.imageshack.us/img187/7899/797.jpg

taking out the final buffer is always a relief tbh :p

4*AD797BN as AK4396 LPF > high gain NJM4580V to drive headphones = end of story :gnasher:

adding a final buffer beefs up the volume to line out level I was told, but well the 4580 is not afraid! I can clearly hear why some ppl avoid op-amps like the plague.

anyway, SS is still very impressive...it might very well be that the AD797BN can put discretes out of business, need to give more in-depth listening :nod:

PS: Slash47 on head-fi said: "AD797: Awesome, but not a drop in replacement. Neutral, like a perfectly designed extension of the DAC chip itself which is a very big compliment in my book. Sounds like an intellectual AD8597. The only one that I have heard that is not a compromise in any way is the AD797." I couldn't agree more so far.

Last edited:
AudiogoN Forums: Finally got my FUBAR II to sing w/ AD797AN Op-amps
I have had great results using the AD797 in combination with an 811[..]
It was developed by Walt Jung at AD and called a "Composite" opamp.
:confused:
wow, male U87 vocals keep me speechless...and counterbass is still very much amazing, not overwhelming anymore(the burson was simply bloating the 797B grain :rolleyes:)

and xtalk is notoriously BAAAAD on the discretes(I've seen 60dB RMAA figures w/ 3 burson's on the HD2), now SS is wider and there's far more "stuff" in the middle...pretty amazing. Still need to find out whether it's still 3D'ish.

Last edited:
the Snatch OST really makes for a nice benchmark...it's got "02 - Klint - Diamond" w/ a loud counterbass intro+very detailed synthesizer in the break, "05 - The Stranglers - Golden Brown" w/ its very detailed harpsichord(that can easily sound resonant to death) and "10 - Mirwais - Disco Science" that has a very beefy inverted sub bass kick + that uber-resonant stereo synth...they've never sounded so clear :)

majkel said this chip could present you w/ a SS of whatever shape...holy **** you have to hear it to understand what that means :bigeyes:

Last edited: