The best sounding audio integrated opamps

The Longdog CD player in the March 2014 HFW is 2.9V output

No ****! Do they give any excuse?

(I guess the excuse is that it's good enough for 5V, so it's up to someone else.)

I haven't seen an HFW for a while so this might be a good reason.

Does anyone know any worse? TBH, if I had a closed system i would get all that front bit up as high as I could, so I do have some sympathy.

It's valved and has one of the worst SNRs I have ever seen. Sometimes well designed DACs go for a highish output to get closer to 20 bit resolution, but that is not applicable to the Longdog

What fun! That's the only excuse out the window.

And is it the best sounding thing ever? They wouldn't be rude enough to knock off the first bit of its name, would they?

Having said that, quite how bad an SNR? Because you could pick up an effective near 6dB on the input if you are going be wild. (I stupidly can't remember the exact figures and can't see from typing from a place that includes a quote.)

Although do I care? It's an absurd place to put valves.

Been a few years since I modded my Marantz CD53 and put in LME49720NA. Since then I forgot all about modding. In the meantime I was annoyed how harsh my CD player sounded, way too much treble. Saxophone and mute trumpet especially sounded very annoying. Not until now did I replace them with a pair of OPA2132 I had lying around. What a difference it makes, it has quite a lot more warmth and I much prefer this over the LME49720NA.

I'm not a fan of (overly) clear treble I guess. That said, any suggestions for another opamp I could try out? I'm looking for warmth and I'm okay with that coming to the expense of clarity.

Last edited:
The verdict is out I think after such a loooooooooong thread! The bottom line seems to be "which chip is used to what purpose?" A sonically pure chip may not sound "musical" in a musical gear such as a guitar amplifier or en effect box! The same goes for lab, measuring equipment, a hi-fi pre/amp or a CD player!

I found this simple truth while trying out a few devices in a humble guitar preamp! I'm sure as many would agree, what matters is what your ear decides as to what is sonically pure or musically pleasing in
the end!

I've said my piece....now will keep my peace!

Last edited:
rollin', rollin', rollin', keep those op-amps rollin'

Attachments

• The_New_Boy_-_Los_Angeles_Herald.jpg
    The_New_Boy_-_Los_Angeles_Herald.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 535
Last edited:
I'm not a fan of (overly) clear treble I guess.

A CD player is an environment with lots of RF present and those parts are particularly RF-sensitive. So its probably not clear treble, its distortion. JFET input parts are more RF-resistant.

That said, any suggestions for another opamp I could try out? I'm looking for warmth and I'm okay with that coming to the expense of clarity.

Stick with the 2132s for now and upgrade their power supplies. Use TL431 shunts and follow those with inductors (220uH bobbin wound works a treat) and lots of low ESR lytics. Then be surprised how much of an improvement you got....:p

A CD player is an environment with lots of RF present and those parts are particularly RF-sensitive. So its probably not clear treble, its distortion. JFET input parts are more RF-resistant.

Stick with the 2132s for now and upgrade their power supplies. Use TL431 shunts and follow those with inductors (220uH bobbin wound works a treat) and lots of low ESR lytics. Then be surprised how much of an improvement you got....:p

I would love to do that, I have no idea how though :(

Seriously, is there a difference in the sound of opamps IF you have the same slew rate, same noise performance, same input bias current and input offset voltage?

Of cause, you cannot compare 741 to 4558 or some newer ones with high slew rates. I am talking about when the spec are the same, can there be any difference in the sound quality?

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Seriously, is there a difference in the sound of opamps IF you have the same slew rate, same noise performance, same input bias current and input offset voltage?

Of cause, you cannot compare 741 to 4558 or some newer ones with high slew rates. I am talking about when the spec are the same, can there be any difference in the sound quality?

Yes, in audiophile terms quite big differences in much the same way that seemingly "identical" CD players with essentialy identical specs sound very different.

A £$50 player has the same basic spec as a £$5000 one. Do they sound they sound same ?

You should have tried this... it was good fun at the time,
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/ever...mate-opamp-shootout-where-you-get-decide.html

Yes, in audiophile terms quite big differences in much the same way that seemingly "identical" CD players with essentialy identical specs sound very different.

A £$50 player has the same basic spec as a £$5000 one. Do they sound they sound same ?

You should have tried this... it was good fun at the time,
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/ever...mate-opamp-shootout-where-you-get-decide.html
Of cause you can tell the difference between CD players, that is a system of circuits. But I am talking about two different opamp with the same spec.