The Best Movies Ever Made

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2010
No, that's Snatch, with Brad Pitt as the filthy underwear boxer (both are Guy Ritchie directed).

Wavebourn always reminds me of Boris the Blade, aka the Bullet Dodger.
Or Vladimir, the hard-rock security system designer in "The Good Thief", with Nick Nolte as Bob le flambeur (Flashy Bob)

AHHHH Yes...

you are correct....SNATCH...I like that one...Been a while since I have seen it..I always get the titles of those mixed up...:D

Wavebourn staring as Boris the blade...LMAO...

Doo ya bet on DAGGS you know fer money..DAGGS ..tell ya wat I'll bet then tidy shoes and a caravan fer me mam..again the hare winning...

The dogs (X2) against a hare...you have no chance...

EH up fer it then... :D

Regards
M. Gregg

Last edited:
You ought to see Stalker as well. If you like art, Andrey Rublyov is more than worthwhile, one of my top three, and if you are interested in WWII, Ivan's Childhood shouldn't be missed. If you haven't noticed by now, I'm a huge fan of Tarkovsky. I even bought Bjork's Volta to hear "Dull Flame of Desire", (YouTube - Dull Flame Of Desire by Björk , with Antony Hegarty) the lyrics of which are taken from Tyuchev's poem that was used in Stalker.

My other favorite directors are Dreyer, Kurosawa, and Renoir among others.

John

PS, loved God's Little Acre, too. Steamy stuff with Michael Landon as a teenaged albino.

This is mentioned because of that.;)

Time is the real judge - great movies don't get old.

We're fortunate that Turner Classic will roll movies from the BioPic era -- usually in the wee hours of Monday mornings -- but you can DVR them. The TCM commentators also reference other films which played a role in the development of the art. (That's how I got my copy of "People on Sunday", "Menschen am Sonntag" directed by Billy Wilder.)

I do anyway. What no one really appreciates is that it was an allegory for Christianity that managed to get made in the Soviet Union.

These lists say more about the person posting than what is a great film.

John

sooo what does it say about me? for me stalker is more than a movie, it's like a light philosophy book in moving picture form

the allegory you mention, that is one way to interpret it. And the movie barely made it... first shoot was destroyed by the government. Conspiracy theory? hardly! As if Tarkovsky,

a very competent director, with ridiculous attention to detail (remember how long the shots are in stalker? now do it on film. expensive, special film(make mental note of this)).

a man who sacrificed his own life (he was lethaly poisoned by the fumes at shooting locations for stalker) for the film

he would just, you know, not pay any attention to the fact that, hey, this film we're using, it's new, let's make sure it gets to competent hands and developed properly

the ussr, a government well known for its practices and ideals, destroyed the first shooting of the film. If you want i can discuss it further.

Hmm...

Inception
7 pounds
Pulp Fiction
The Dark Knight
The Dark Knight Rises
V for Vendetta
Kill Bill Pt 1 / Kill Bill Pt 2
Inglorious Basterds
X-men; First Class
Kal Ho Naa Ho
Perfect Blue
They Were Eleven
Silence of the Lambs
Shutter Island

...tbqh though, movies aren't exactly my favorite medium for drama etc.. too generally compressed for time to really be poignant.

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
LEON..
The warriors..(a bit dated)

I guess there could be a message in the films.. I guess it depends who's watching..
I guess it says I like action films..

The pacific...My dad died last year and he was at the battle of Matapan (I have some medals) He just hid them in the back of a drawer..He didn't talk much about it..he watched the film (Pacific)..and said I'm so glad I'm to old to see it happen again..He talked about picking up some (local) children in Java that were starving never seemed to manage to finish the story he always got to upset.. when he got to the part about giving them food but they couldn't eat it..even fruit..

Regards
M. Gregg

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.