The Best DAC is no DAC

Attached is the final list. I've omitted those who didn't take up their option and have included a couple of latecomers.

Total number of boards required is 44 SE and 45 balanced.

I have ordered 50 of each board type so there may be a few spare available down the line.

I thought about Jean-Paul's comment about mounting holes for the boards. Although I designed the boards to sit on top of the JLSounds I2SoverUSB board I thought that some people might choose to use different devices so to add some flexibility to the mounting arrangements I have added small tabs with mounting holes to each board - it didn't add to the cost. If you don't need them you can just trim them off. This is the final version of the balanced board so you can see what I mean;

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

We just have to be patient now. I'll update as things move along.

Cheers

Ray

Attachments

• DSD PCB List.pdf
    320.4 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
Ray what are the values for Cf & Rf?

How long is a piece of string?

If you read the BOM for the balanced board I included a couple of examples.

The values will depend on the filter frequency point you choose to use and then there will be many combinations of R and C that can achieve that filter.

If Rf = 1K0 and Cf = 3n3 you'll have a workable filter with a -3dB at approx. 40KHz.

Ray

I thought about Jean-Paul's comment about mounting holes for the boards. Although I designed the boards to sit on top of the JLSounds I2SoverUSB board I thought that some people might choose to use different devices so to add some flexibility to the mounting arrangements I have added small tabs with mounting holes to each board - it didn't add to the cost. If you don't need them you can just trim them off. This is the final version of the balanced board so you can see what I mean;

And extending this flexibility a little further, if the fancy takes you, you can also (if you're careful with a razor saw) split either of these boards into separate sections, filter and mute, by cutting along the gap between the two ground planes.

Regarding the Rf and Cf components, I have the TubeCAD filter calc software so if anyone needs a hand, let me know you're preferred -3dB frequency and a preferred value of, say, Rf, and I can advise of a suitable Cf value.

I'll try to update the schematic and produce a BOM for the SE board over the weekend, until then I'm going to try and catch up with some things I've left while getting the board purchase progressed.

Ray

Nah, not for now. The concept is too shocking ;)

...please note I am not a moderator. I once was one. You know, that time when beer was cold and women were warm.

I still can't tempt you do something shocking before it's altogether too late or are you just checking out the thread in the hope of finding someone to talk to?:D

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Well it is time to chit chat I see :D. I have gone the DDX route and like the concept despite some shortcomings with volume control and resolution. I wish audio had been that simple from the beginning. Till now I haven't enjoyed DSD sound but it seems a difficult way of doing things which makes it attractive too at the same time (like that nice lady that always smiles at you but is unreachable too). It may be a very nice sounding way of doing things but I have some other priorities at the moment. I will follow the thread though, you never know how things may develop. I know just one thing for sure: I will NEVER use a computer for audio as they annoy the hell out of me with OS peculiarities and such. Stand alone devices are made for people like me. I own an Olive One and a DDX amp and I like that concept a lot. Just find the album you like and push the Play button. I know things are right when 16/44.1 material pleases me :)

For some strange reason I am feeling nostalgic and bought some tubes to build something with. It occurs to me that trying to make things very good or excellent is quite relative when hearing old analog gear with warmth and emotion. Just sayin'.

Last edited:
Fair enough and if you change your mind and decide to give 'no-dac' DSD a go let me know and I'm sure I'll find a spare board for you from somewhere.

I need to set a priority; I've got four different projects on the go in this area but only one set of hearing equipment on my head! Time to choose and cull the rest via Swap Meet.

How long is a piece of string?

If you read the BOM for the balanced board I included a couple of examples.

The values will depend on the filter frequency point you choose to use and then there will be many combinations of R and C that can achieve that filter.

If Rf = 1K0 and Cf = 3n3 you'll have a workable filter with a -3dB at approx. 40KHz.

Ray

Apologies but I made a small error from quoting the filter from memory.

If Rf = 1K0 and Cf = 3n3 you'll have a workable filter with a -3dB at approx. 48.2KHz.

Again, I'm happy to help with calculating your filter components.

Ray

Hi all.

i think if you use Amanero USB for ouput direct DSD, so all still have big bum with the fist track when play .

Last year , I was make test DSD output with simple LPF oput.

The sound is good, and not have bum.

So, i follow with :

Amanero have develop a new firmware on Andrea Ciuffoli specification to eliminate the problem of the bump during pause and change tracks.
See here the image to download and to flash the CPLD.

1) Download the ConfigTool (http://www.amanero.com/oemtool118.zip) and unzip in a folder, for example on Desktop.

2) Erase the flash following these steps (see erase.jpg)
3) When you replug the erased device, Windows can ask about a driver so acept this.
4) Be sure to be connected to internet.

5) Run ConfigOEM118.exe and after the choice of CPLD and CPU firmware press the relative Flash button.

6) When done close ConfigTool.exe and Unplug the USB Cable.

7) Replug the USB cable and if it's all ok the audio driver needs to detect the device.

Joined 2007
Paid Member
@quanghao: Yes, very useful information indeed. Thanks for sharing!

I just downloaded the 1.18 and seeing that there are quite some different CPU & flash options I wonder if I can ask you to share which CPLD & CPU firmwares are the "best" for DSD playback?

Thanks for any help in this ;-)

Jesper

Last edited: