The BA-3 as preamp build guide

Joined 2003
Paid Member
That is what I thought and expressed that concern, similarly with M2 and saturating the Edcors. I was told not to worry, and if my M2 is saturated or anything else it still sounds awfully good.

I may have not expressed concerns enough, or may not have listened correctly to the replies, but I asked more than once...I will see if I can find the threads...I know one was in the "Wayne's 2018 linestage" thread and it came up elsewhere in another thread like this one.

This is probably one of MY misunderstandings I'm sure. Many here, if not most are way more knowledgeable than I am am. I can solder well, Identify parts and know a little bit from all mistakes I've made. You know what they say, "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing".

I really have no idea,

Russellc

Last edited:
Hikari, as to answer #4, I posted this as a concern over in the Wayne's 2018 line stage thread. My concern was a small amount of DC on my build of that LS that could then be amplified and sent to speakers.

I was told by more than one member here that not worry, the amplifier cant amplify the DC. Maybe that was different b/c that was a separate front end and here it is in the front end of the amplifier? There is a lot that I dont comprehend with all this, but for some reason I believed it so.

I think it was in some thread somewhere about building F5 in that it was capacitorless so DC coupled.
I thought the understanding was at that time, at least to me that if your preamp went south and released a bunch of DC, it would go to amplifier, be amplified and cook speakers. Maybe it was in the Mesmorize/Hypnotize threads, as they were DC coupled.

I'm also a bit puzzled as you were, about him having larger amount of DC after cap than before cap. Wondering if his measurement of "before the cap" was before the cap, or on the other end closest to edge of board? Dont see how a cap would increase DC?

If amp doesnt amplify that DC why is everyone concerned with it? I know I always was. My understanding of all this, or lack of understanding may be the problem here!

More confused as ever, S.N.A.F.U. for me,

Russellc

In a dc coupled amplifier it will amplify the DC for sure. The f5 will amplify the dc approx 15 times...so 100mv in is going to be over a volt on the speakers.

An amp like the m2 has a transformer Which will block dc. Transformers don’t pass dc. Now the transformer might not like the DC but it won’t pass it unless it fails.

Other power amps have an input cap or caps on output. But the F5 is DC coupled.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
In a dc coupled amplifier it will amplify the DC for sure. The f5 will amplify the dc approx 15 times...so 100mv in is going to be over a volt on the speakers.

An amp like the m2 has a transformer Which will block dc. Transformers don’t pass dc. Now the transformer might not like the DC but it won’t pass it unless it fails.

Other power amps have an input cap or caps on output. But the F5 is DC coupled.

That was my response, re the transformers in M2 not passing DC. One member put the transformers from the F6 on his outputs for a little more gain (talking about Wayne's 2018 LS) and in response to this as solution instead of output caps to block DC on my waynes 2018 LS, I was told that wouldnt help.

I'll comb that thread for it, but this came up elsewhere in another thread as well.

I probably misunderstood things here, but these were concerns and beliefs I have held since I began this hobby. That said, many things I held onto in those days has been disproven.

I have always contended (and I will be the first to admit I may definitely be wrong) that preamps should have tiny amounts, really tiny amounts of DC on output..if any. Like you I also thought DC could be amplified by the power amp. Also that DC connected front ends if went south and dumped dc, it would go to power amp, be amplified and smoke speakers. Also, that this was particularly a problem with a direct coupled amp like F5.

I have held beliefs in this hobby before and been wrong, I do not have that kind of expertise here to say definitively.

IDK,

Russellc

Last edited:
That was my response, re the transformers in M2 not passing DC. One member put the transformers from the F6 on his outputs for a little more gain (talking about Wayne's 2018 LS) and in response to this as solution instead of output caps to block DC on my waynes 2018 LS, I was told that wouldnt help.

I'll comb that thread for it, but this came up elsewhere in another thread as well.

I probably misunderstood things here, but these were concerns and beliefs I have held since I began this hobby. That said, many things I held onto in those days has been disproven.

I have always contended (and I will be the first to admit I may definitely be wrong) that preamps should have tiny amounts, really tiny amounts of DC on output..if any. Like you I also thought DC could be amplified by the power amp. Also that DC connected front ends if went south and dumped dc, it would go to power amp, be amplified and smoke speakers. Also, that this was particularly a problem with a direct coupled amp like F5.

I have held beliefs in this hobby before and been wrong, I do not have that kind of expertise here to say definitively.

IDK,

Russellc

The transformer will block DC. This is physics. But DC will also ruin the performance of a transformer like what is used in the F6. Maybe even damage it if there is enough DC.

Output transformers like used in tube amps are a different animal. They can handle DC.

Back to the BA-3 front end...this is a circuit that is not DC stable. Could be DC stable if it had feedback...but then it would be called an F5. So Nelson gave us caps on the output which is fine. A cap is WAY more linear than any transformer.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
BA3 is one of my favorite Papa amps. I like it as a front end as well, I have two of them. F5 was my first Pass clone piece. Finally, something I could build that didnt cost a fortune and outplayed at least in my opinion, all my tube stuff. I even sold my MC-225 over it. I realized I can build better.

Before my "Jfet conversion" I was all tube, everything except source. For FM, was tube there still have a Mcintosh MR-67. After Pass clones I sold most of my tube stuff. Still have big KT-88 P-P power amp and some preamps. No DC got past output transformers on them.

Chasing Jfets and exotic output devices, expensive as it can be, is cheaper than tubes I would chase down. Still have my Hickok tube tester too....who knows.

Russellc

Hey there all. Got my BA-3 up n running a week ago. It's making me smile. Seamlessly fits into my system with an 834 phono clone and Marantz cd player and F5.

It worked first time! Big thanks to all that helped me out. Including 6l6 and the mighty ZM.

IMG_20200601_175719.jpg

What value do you have on the stepped ladder? Have you or anyone compared with stepped shunt vs ladder on low volume?

If it's any help, I run 10K ladder type stepped attenuators into BA3 pre feeding F6. (Source Marantz network player)
I found the big blue switches with Dale resistors sounded better than the smaller Dact type attenuators with surface mount resistors.
Not tried shunt type.

sov

Joined 2016
Paid Member
I will look that up :)
My first thought was that BA3 has an input impedance of 47k(?). So a low value of pot is better. Second thought is if the source sees example 10k even in low volume with ladder compared with a 10k shunt that have a bigger impedance on low volume, right?
So how do the sound differs with shunt vs ladder on low levels?
I’m struggling to understand the impedance so don’t take my questions as science.

sov

Joined 2016
Paid Member
Nice :) I been looking at that in 10k.
I searching for a good sound at the volume “husch, the children is sleeping”.
The difference between shunt and ladder is not big at all if I look at resistor values, if you have like me a dac with utput of 75ohm. So I paired BA3 with F4 instead of F6. Less gain with clearer image. Thats the beauty of this DIY, to mess around.