The BA-3 as preamp build guide

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I believe everything should be clear if you read datasheet of xformer

having separate secondaries and connecting them to have CT is much easier that the other way around

here's some help

ignore miss-type here and there

if you have datasheet, post it here

Attachments

• xformer phasing.JPG
    xformer phasing.JPG
    73.9 KB · Views: 402
Last edited:
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
duh

no color info there

what wire colors you have , one secondary, second secondary?

usually, start of winding is one color, end of winding other color

say that you have green and yellow

green 1 : first secondary out (to diode bridge)

yellow 1 + green 2 : Center Tap (GND)

yellow 2 : second secondary out (to diode bridge)

checking is easy , by sketch I uploaded ; connect two wires from different secondaries, put Vac meter across free ends,power up Donut ( taking all safety measures - isolated mains contacts etc.), measure ; if you have double Vac , that's the arrangement ; if you have nearly 0Vac , change place of wires of one secondary, retest

duh

no color info there

what wire colors you have , one secondary, second secondary?

usually, start of winding is one color, end of winding other color

say that you have green and yellow

green 1 : first secondary out (to diode bridge)

yellow 1 + green 2 : Center Tap (GND)

yellow 2 : second secondary out (to diode bridge)

checking is easy , by sketch I uploaded ; connect two wires from different secondaries, put Vac meter across free ends,power up Donut ( taking all safety measures - isolated mains contacts etc.), measure ; if you have double Vac , that's the arrangement ; if you have nearly 0Vac , change place of wires of one secondary, retest

I understand. Thank you.

😀
They are ClarityCap CSA bought at HiFiCollective.

I went ahead and put these caps on the outputs of both my Pearl 2 and BA-3 FE, replacing the electrolytics and film bypass. 2.2 uF is all I need based on input impedances. I listened for a few minutes and my initial impression is positive, I'll try to do a longer session tonight.

Don't laugh at my BA-3, I mistakenly bought components that are oversize and crammed them in. :p

y4mFAGxsbRi55GAX6rrTM0mTQ7wrmPcnanYfTzTtKQroBJGpreOwQZHSyXvFDGLc0ILobI9mw6HjSnlX0rPuUMw1R2rrYrb-Y0f2MinQmgOUKn6CUSY59C7hHiED_qyC2StuqzCI7Cy69NrWYFS4qMRWpiHEYuIB2Ixlyf4YegPZrDvt-7LVm7r-T4wI2gEdVfuQZ2xaOrL2JQCPRfWvN7Dfw