The BA-3 as preamp build guide

How do you expect anybody to be able to answer that question? especially without knowing which preamp you use now.

In my opinion the preamp sounds very good, and I use with an F-5 and some Gravesen inspired Open Baffles.

But ... there is only one way to find out :) build it, it is not that expensive.

Best regards
Arthur.

Last edited:
Dear wise guys, I already started to gather the compontents for this preamp. I'm running my F6 very happily, and I'm wandering what is the benefit of this preamp in terms of audio quality. I mean, I have decent diy speakers from Troels Gravesen, my F6 is marvelous... so, what will I benefit from this preamp? Of course the gain and the inputs are important, but... musically speaking? will my speakers produce better sound at all? Can anybody describe what "can" get better?

Have you ever used a preamp in any setup?

I have never used a preamp! I’m in the middle of building my very first audio setup. But i managed with the speakers, i got the F6 working and i will build this preamp. But my ignorance made me ask.

So, i clarify, i only have my DAC connected to my amp directly. Will this preamp in the middle improve sound at all? Just because i always think that less is more sometimes.

Last edited:
This is absolutely fine and I myself did not understand the difference until I built one myself...my first build was B1 again First Watt design..papa Pass has provided enough details at this link PassDiy, quite simple and does not require any bias setting etc...so you can measure and enjoy the results almost instantaneously...which "Definitely" shall answer your query about what will change....please be prepared for awesomeness....Only thing with B1 is that it is a buffer and does not offer any gain...B3 FE used as a pre will offer gain which is required for loud listening and of course with my latest experience is again quite amazing. Zen/6L6 have made detailed illustrated step by steps for people like us to deal with complexities.Not sure if you would like to choose B1 or B3...but please go for it...and if for contributing back to community you could share your F6 build experience, pics, setup details etc...would be a great gesture

I doubt the F6 needs a buffer with most sources since it has a 100K input. It essentially has a buffer on it's input already.

The question is if you need gain or not. With efficient open baffles you might not. Do you listen loud? Is the volume control maxed out with your current setup? Do you listen to low output sources like vinyl?

And usually less is more but I think the BA-3 will color the sound somewhat which you may or may not like.

Well I posted some picks and my experience on the thread about it. Awesome amp. My speakers are only 89db so a bit of gain is welcome. But I’m enjoying music at low levels with this F6. Just sounds so good when played at minimum volumes. I’ll comment on B3 experience once i finish it. So, thank you all.

what is the maximum signal that your speakers can re-play?
What is the maximum signal that your power amplifier can pass to the speaker.
What is the maximum signal required at the input to the amplifier, to bring either the speakers or the power amplifier up to it's limit?

If your system gain is high enough that all your sources can send at least the required maximum signal then your system does not need any more gain.
Most systems fall into this categaory. In fact most have too much gain.
read:
What is Gain Structure? - diyAudio
in the articles section.

Andrew, you don't know how much I appreciate your extremely pedagogical answers. I went through the article, but I have problems with it. First of all, I have learnt everything from scratch regarding audio and electronics, in one year. So I don't know much. But I listen and copy what others say and do quite well. If somebody is interested in knowing, analysing and answering, my system consist of a couple of Troels Gravesen 3 way classics, Scan Speak Discovery line, with a sensitivity of 88db/2.8V 1 meter, 8ohms. More specs I don't know, but this speakers can play really loud, but sensitivity is not their best quality. So the F6 is not the best match for them. But like I said, I'm enjoying so much listening to low volumes in my marvellous F6 that I'm not really worried about volume. My source is a raspberry pi, with reclocker and DAC, and ripped Flac music from cd. Normally I have software attenuation for about 20 to 30 db, but it is quite often that music recording is lower than usual and I nearly crank volume up to maximum levels and music is loud enough but speakers don't even bother about it. They can handle much more power. So BA3 was a possibity to get:

1. several input sources
2. a bit of gain for certain situations
3. Better sound?

Well, as I said, im learning, and enjoying it so much that I will build the BA3 and see, but all comments are more than welcome. Thank you so much.

Joined 2012
Paid Member
Simple to calculate the resistor yourself: a LED needs around 1mA and 3 Volts. So if you have 25 volts rail. 25-3= 22 volt over the resistor. R=V/I ==> R=22V/0.001A= 22kOhm.
P=VxI ==> P=22x0.001= 22mWatt. So 1/4Watt resistor is OK.

If the LED is still to bright, use 47KOhm.

in other words, is this acceptable?:

IMG_4221.jpg

IMG_4222.jpg