The American myth, land of the free and so on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Calling the whole of the american people uncultured is a little too much isn´t it.

America has given a lot of things to the world. Culture is an interaction. People from europe go to america and people from america come to europe. Its the same culture. Only that Europe had a few thousand years to produce it. America only had a few hundred years. It´s still to say a "kid". You can´t compare them but you can´t either separate them. America is the continue of Europe Africa Asia nad other cultures.

Don´t see things in black and white only.
Where there is good there is also bad.
What the imperialism of america today is, WAS imperialism of the europians centuries ago. How do you think america was colonised? by imperialists from Portugal, Spain, England, Holland and so on.

Why don't you pick another country Till and test your theory. I'm sure accusing Planet10 of favoritism is the high road to endearment. Were all rooting for you.

I had this idea, but i don´t like it because i don´t like to post something i know its not true.

I express what i think once more, the moderators did one mistake more.

I´ll take something like a sinbin sentence in protest without the moderators help.

see me again in 2 weeks or so. bye.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Re: SWINES?

fdegrove said:
Hi,

The day anything "cultural" may come out of the US it'll probably be from the black community...

From a European point of view nothing ever remotely "cultural" ever came from the US...

Lest you call capitalism a culture?

Hmmm..maybe a culture of garbage? A culture nonetheless.;)

Frank, that is unneccesarily harsh I would think.
Still, I had one occasion where I pointed out to an American (good) friend that our national state lotterie in the Netherlands actually is some 40 years older than the US constitution.
Maybe we had our priorities right?;)

Jan Didden

really now, this anti-americanism is really untimely. after all, we're just now beginning to really put our foot in it, just like most every other european nation has done at some point in the past. that should prove our deep kinship and brotherly love should abound. come on now, lets all gather hands and have a tearful round of Kum-by-ya :eek:

I loooooovvvvvvvvveee yyoooouuuuuu man :devily:

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: Re: Re: SWINES?

grataku said:
'professional ebay sellers' should really just stick to handling packages

Thanx for the advertisement... i can only really be called semi-professional, since i have 4 or 5 other jobs too... and i do do a very good job on packaging if i do say so myself. Selling stuff on eBay has given me the opportunity to learn a HUGE amount about vintage hifi in the last couple years, and to really push the frontiers of Frugal-phile(tm)-ism :)

dave

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
promitheus said:
...What the imperialism of america today is, WAS imperialism of the europians centuries ago. How do you think america was colonised? by imperialists from Portugal, Spain, England, Holland and so on.
Hi Promitheus,

I’m just curious. How do you, or Europeans in general, view the Americans as Imperialist? In what way can the US of today be compared to the Spanish, Portuguese, British, French, or Dutch of the past centuries?

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Iraq perhaps ? Falsely claim that there are chemical weapons and then invade Iraq. That way they arranged their private petrol station for the coming years.

Out of context: the new laws forbidding European countries to have any American citizin sentenced in a European court on risk of invasion ( !!!! ) from American troops. The other way around European countries have to send European prisoners ( mostly narcotic affairs ) to America for conviction.

Out of context 2: the new American measure that tells companies like KLM to send every personal detail of passengers to America before they board ( including credit card numbers, belief and such ). When KLM wanted to refuse they were threatened that landing permissions would be taken away.

Out of context 3: total control over European companies by recent large take overs by American companies. In case of political disagreements this control over even our power companies can be convenient.

The American government of today does not want to understand that love should come from two directions.

My respect for the French and the Germans for having the guts to say no to these measures.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Yes, it's US Imperialism with an obedient small dog running behind (Britain).

I am sorry that I agree on that. My guess is that it will separate Britain from Europe more than before. Maybe I think wrong but I think selfcriticism is a healthy thing and I have the idea that Americans are not that used to selfcriticism. I could be wrong of course...

Sinbinning Frank for having a strong opinion is out of control if I may say so. I am very sure that Frank will have very strong criticism on his own country ( Belgium ) in some ways as well. Except for the Belgian cuisine that is ;) I recognise the strong sentiments as very direct communication that I am used to as well. It is better to have a strong opinion than no opinion at all.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
And you are indeed. A few minutes reading American newspapers and magazines or watching American news broadcasts and political commentary shows will make that case better than I could.

I really have to search for that in the American stuff that the ( American owned ) commercial tv stations like to show us. Mr. Murdoch does not allow critical sounds.

I don't see a lot of self criticism in this thread.

How much do you want ? I can criticise my own country for hours to adapt so much to the USA. Teaching in english at our universities, accepting the threats of the US to invade us in case of US citizens on trial in the Netherlands, that we are so stupid to accept a McDonalds every 5 km, the ********d up claiming culture that came with the wind but probably will stay here, that we are so ignorant to have US nuclear weapons here for US purposes, that we are becoming a new american state like Britain. Need more ?

Our tasteless cuisine ?

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
There are more channels than just CNN. But most are European/Dutch stations that have been taken over by American companies. Because of that I don't watch TV much. But if you insist I can check again which are American owned. Only recently there were 3 more bought by Murdoch. They are not news-only stations I want to add.

That's hardly representative of the scope of US political discourse.

I agree partly. Please realise that critical noise in the direction of the US is not done in the Netherlands. After all it was the US ( amongst others ) that liberated us from the Nazi terror in WW II.
Although 60 years ago it still puts a lot of weight on the Dutch-American friendship. National stations are sometimes reluctant in their newsgathering concerning USA and Israel.

jean-paul said:

How much do you want ? I can criticise my own country for hours to adapt so much to the USA.

That's not self criticism, that's just more US bashing.

Seriously, suppose all the McDonald's's disappeared tomorrow. Would the Netherlands then perfect in your mind? There's nothing about it you would change?

If you can't think of anything, you might try asking the next "allochtoon" you meet. Or even just think about what the implications are of having a racist word like "allochtoon" as part of ordinary public discourse.

Status
Not open for further replies.