The Aleph30 PCB layout

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My working circuit looks exactly like in pic below. Besides the 3 elektrolytics, I didn't use any other caps. It workes fine.

You can see that output devices are not soldered yet, as it's better to solder them after they are attached to a heatsink.

I still have few of those resistors, but probably will need to order more as others might need them too.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

That was actually my objective: to make them not much bigger than GC boards ;)

I'm out of resistors, but I can get more. They would be $15 for a set of 24, plus shipping (probably $5).

I'm receiving another batch of boards tomorrow, so whoever ordered later, will have them delivered soon as well.

Attachments

• a4.jpg
    a4.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 1,072
I'll definitely need some more resistors, will you let me know when you get some in?

I've just built up the first board, not tested yet but it went together really quite straight forward. I'll test the first 2 when I've built the other, hopefully this weekend if work doesn't intervene :xeye:

My plan is to build two tri-amped mono blocks, 2 of the boards will be Aleph 30's the other an Aleph 3 for the tweeter.

Kev

I'll definitely need some more resistors, will you let me know when you get some in?

I've just built up the first board, not tested yet but it went together really quite straight forward. I'll test the first 2 when I've built the other, hopefully this weekend if work doesn't intervene :xeye:

My plan is to build two tri-amped mono blocks, 2 of the boards will be Aleph 30's the other an Aleph 3 for the tweeter.

Kev

Mark A. Gulbrandsen said:
I still have a few Dale CW2C-14's 3% tolerance left over that I could send to Peter if he thinks these would work. I believe these are 2 watters.

I think those would be fine too, as long as they are 0.47R, but it's up to the people what they want. If there is saving on the resistors in a picture, I can supply them as well (how much are you asking?).

So whoever needs resistors please specify your preference.

I wouldnt be too happy using 2 watters for source resistors. Since its Dale's they are probably conservatively rated, so maybe they will do. In my excperience, the source resistors runs hot :hot:
I received the boards yesterday Peter:) They are really nice indeed:cool: With the sneaking discussion about board ordering here at DIYaudio, I would like to add that I ordered 3 stereo sets, and shipped 2 of them to fellow diy'ers that were not able to order them for them self;) Whatever, the boards look even cooler in my hand than I would have thought:) Thanks a lot PD.

Steen:cool:

Re: Ah, the boards...

carpenter said:
I'm building the stock Aleph 30, and would like to get in on the resistor purchase--not to mention whatever else is on the agenda.

I can only offer the resistors at this point, as the whole operation was not intended as a group buy or a kit.

It started as a layout project and since it came out pretty nicely, I offer the boards to interested forum members: only throught the forum Pass Labs section.

The 3W Panasonic resistors are $15/set of 24 with shipping of $6

If interested, I can also forward the resistors Mark voluntered to donate, in that case it would be only $6 shipping. Please specify your preference by e-mail.

On a 1Khz square wave the leading edge overshoots slightly. Is this known as "ringing"?

Anything I can do about this?
Is it a problem, I don't know what affect this ringing may have on the performance of the amp? I also don't know how to alter it.

i haven't measured the -3db point but I noticed that the amp went up to around 60KHz before the output voltage started to drop.

I'm mega chuffed that the amp is working, I made one slight mistake in understanding the thread :xeye: but I soon sorted it out.

I notice that on the photo Peter put up of the populated board, that the input differential pair looked as if the sources were connected together at the tab. On mine I have to have them electrically isolated but thermally connected. Is this normal?

regards
Kev

You can adjust square wave performance with C8. By changing the value of that cap (5-10pF) that "ringing" can be reduced. I didn't install the cap as I didn't care for square wave. IIRC the presence of the cap affected sonics slightly.

In my picture, the input differencial mosfets are also isolated electrically ( I used mica piece, that's why it's not well visible).

THanks Peter.

I've a long way to go with this yet. It's currently playing on a crappy system I've got setup in my workshop and sounding far better than it's any right to. :D

My god the heatsinks have their work cut out :hot: , they're not too hot to touch but I can't hold my hand on them for long. I thought my 9" x 11" heatsinks would be enough .:confused:

I'll play with C8 try to tell any sound differences, but first I'll make a case for the amp with more heatsinking.

Peter, a heartfelt thank you for making this happen, I could never afford a Pass amp any other way than DIY.

regards
Kevin

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.