The Advantages of Floor Coupled Up-Firing Speakers

The flooder presentation was surely no-pinpoint. Also there was no sweet spot either, but everywhere in the room the sound was about the same. And overall spaciousness was somehow increased over normal stereo triangle.

But what I did not like about flooder at that time was the lack of small detail in the sound itself I noticed missing. I was comparing the sound to my dipole line arrays at that time, which of course has much higher directivity over the flooder.

- Elias
Interesting that the flooder increased reverberation time as far out in time as 20 ms at only -6 to -10 dB, beyond the integration time for "single event" perception. The reverberation at -10 dB would sound half as loud as the original signal.
No doubt that would increase "spaciousness" and reduce detail.

Also of note, the first (ceiling) reflection of your speaker was stronger than the direct sound at high frequencies due to the narrowing HF pattern.

The speaker I tried in the FCUFS configuration had wide enough HF pattern where my hearing still localized it to the floor, rather than the ceiling.

Art

..Also of note, the first (ceiling) reflection of your speaker was stronger than the direct sound at high frequencies due to the narrowing HF pattern..

Art

It also depends on the listener's/measurement position relative to the speakers and the various boundaries..

BTW, good post! :) Nice to have something that really expresses genuine issues with a floor flooder. :up: (..as opposed to the typical: "it generates more reflections" and "more reflections are bad".)

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
maybe I have posted this before :rolleyes: but in this thread I guess its ok to post it twice :D

Attachments

• dip.png
    dip.png
    20 KB · Views: 173
It can also be noted that because the speaker was placed beside the wall (as recommended) there is also reflection from the nearby wall causing combing to the the direct sound.

And, due to the same reason there is also combing in the ceiling reflected sound (altough different comb pattern due to different path length difference).

The speaker should have such a high directivity there would be practically no reflection from the beside wall. If one likes to remove the combing, that is.

I'm not sure about the perceptual effect of the comb, though.

maybe I have posted this before :rolleyes: but in this thread I guess its ok to post it twice :D

That is not floor coupled :D

But I now it will work very well. How do I know, because I have tried something very similar.

I posted this before, too, but cannot remember which thread :D Nevermind, as this thread is famous for double posts here is picture of my earlier experiment.

Floor level dipole and upwards tilted tweeter horn at ear level:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

why no doubt "reduce detail"? What´s the psychoacoustic mechanism?

Are You sure? Do You know the radiation pattern of Elias´ test FCUFS?

The reduction in detail is a hold-over of two principals from large room acoustics..

1. Excessive Reverberation in time (and amplitude) perceptually "blunts" transients in a "masking" effect. However, the intensity and delay of those reflections and their bandwidth, at that "threashold" are relatively unknown in a small room context. In fact through-out the relevant chapters in Toole's book (particularly combing chp. 9), depending on the delay, intensity, passband, and distribution - they may actually improve detail perception in some respects.

2. First Reflections and the creation of "echos" - with doesn't apply here.

2-way for Elias's experiments. It might matter when comparing subjective comments (Elias & weltersys), but -

Doesn't really matter on an objective basis - even most 1" tweeters will have a fair bit of loss in pressure that far off-axis above 5 kHz (assuming a modest size baffle). Additionally, because the loudspeaker's placement next to the side-wall - I've a feeling that provided a fair bit of added intensity at high freq.s to the reflections (..transition from ceiling to wall and vice-versus).

In fact through-out the relevant chapters in Toole's book (particularly combing chp. 9), depending on the delay, intensity, passband, and distribution - they may actually improve detail perception in some respects.
Yes, I read it too
Doesn't really matter on an objective basis - even most 1" tweeters will have a fair bit of loss in pressure that far off-axis above 5 kHz (assuming a modest size baffle).
this is what I think too

Looks like I posted them in August 2010, so it was three years ago :eek: Who could not remember that :D
That was when I didn't understand your wavelets sufficiently.
See posts #1484 and #1485 in this thread.
Here are the most relevant pics again.
With those pics I can almost hear what I see. Every fat reflection above 4 ms robs detail and enhances ASW. There are lots of them in the flooder response. Maybe graaf is fond of that - I'm certainly not. :)

Rudolf

Every fat reflection above 4 ms robs detail and enhances ASW.

Yes, that's what it is. The effect of ASW. Some like it (a lot). In my opinion it should be a property of the reproduction technique, not a property of speaker/room interaction if the reproduction of a wide range of auditory spaces is the goal. ASW created by the room can not be switched off. If all one is interested in is ASW then flooding the room with energy will create it. As a side effect reverberation times will be way too high for a detailed/transparent presentation which I like much better than a spacious but very garbled wash of sound.

What is the true benefit of avoiding floor reflection ? What's the point of floor coupling ?

Reading Toole's book with a great detail we can come to some peculiar conclusions.

Here from Chapter 6.2.1 p 84-85: (emphasises mine)

Bech separately examined the influence of several
individual reflections on timbral and spatial aspects of
perception. In all of the results, it was evident that signal
was a major factor: Broadband pink noise was more
revealing than male speech. In terms of timbre changes,
only the noise signal was able to show any audible effects
and then only for the floor reflection
; speech revealed no
audible effects on timbre.
Looking at the absorption coefficients used in modeling
the floor reflection (Bech, 1996, Table II) reveals that
the simulated floor was significantly more reflective than
would be the case if it had been covered by a conventional
clipped pile carpet on a felt underlay
. Further investigations
revealed that the detection was based mainly on
sounds in the 500 Hz–2 kHz range, meaning that ordinary room furnishings are likely to be highly effective at
reducing first reflections below threshold
, even for the
more demanding signal: broadband pink noise (see
Section 21.3).

In terms of spatial aspects, Bech (1998) concluded
that those sounds above ~2 kHz contributed to audibility
and that “only the first-order floor reflection will contribute
to the spatial aspects.”
The effect was not large, and,
as before, speech was less revealing than broadband noise.
Again, this is a case where a good carpet and underlay
would appear to be sufficient to eliminate any audible
effect
. See Figure 21.3 for data on the acoustical performance
of fl oor coverings.

In conclusion, it seems that the basic audible effects
of early reflections in recordings are well preserved in the
reflective sound fields of ordinary rooms. There is no
requirement to absorb first refl ections to allow recorded
reflections to be heard.

It looks like, maybe not surprisingly, the perceptional effects of floor reflection occur in high freq range, and a carpet is sufficient to diminish it below the threshold.

So, we don't need floor coupling :D

- Elias

What is the true benefit of avoiding floor reflection ? What's the point of floor coupling ?
Reading Toole's book with a great detail we can come to some peculiar conclusions.
Here from Chapter 6.2.1 p 84-85: (emphasises mine)

It looks like, maybe not surprisingly, the perceptional effects of floor reflection occur in high freq range, and a carpet is sufficient to diminish it below the threshold.
So, we don't need floor coupling :D
- Elias

not too fast to the conclusion :p

remember what says Mr Lyngdorf who was a member of Bech's test panels:

there was a big, big project in Denmark about twelve years ago, with a lot of companies involved in investigating effects of reflections in rooms. I had the pleasure of being a test person
The single most disturbing reflection in the room is the floor reflection. That is what makes the speaker sound like a radio and not like the actual event. ... The floor reflection absolutely must be handled

so we have here "the effect was not large" vs "That is what makes the speaker sound like a radio and not like the actual event"

as to the objective and abstract-theoretical question of what's the point of floor coupling - this was discussed thoroughly many times earlier in this thread

as to the subjective question of is the effect large or not all I can say is that what I can hear corresponds with what Mr Lyngdorf says.

Perhaps it is that not all of us here have equally acute hearing and equally demanding taste for realistic sound :rolleyes:

Last edited:
As a side effect reverberation times

reverberation times is a wholly separate issue from the pattern of early reflections

FCUFS only creates a pattern of early reflections different from a conventional system

the issue of reverberation times which is a matter of general room absorption coefficients has nothing to do with it

please do not misinform people Markus

remember what says Mr Lyngdorf who was a member of Bech's test panels:

Quote:
there was a big, big project in Denmark about twelve years ago, with a lot of companies involved in investigating effects of reflections in rooms. I had the pleasure of being a test person
The single most disturbing reflection in the room is the floor reflection. That is what makes the speaker sound like a radio and not like the actual event. ...

graaf;

Please clarify subjective crap statement "makes speaker sound like a radio". Radio can only be heard if it has a speaker. What kind of radio was Lyngdorf referring to? What kind of speaker was it playing through? What kind of listening environment is radio/speaker playing in?

How about some real reference from you to bring this rodeo up to date, such as current speakers, room conditions, speaker locations, and some posted wave files of measured impulse responses at listening position. This way the inclined members with desire to explore the topic have something to work with besides your endless blather.

any references for that Rudolf?
preferably references where fat reflection is defined, and where the 4 ms threshold is substantiated and explained
References for what? I have "looked" at the early reflections in my room with my ears and my microphone. I enhanced and attenuated the reflections - every single one for itself. That has given me a gross overview of the relations between changes in diagrams and my acoustic impressions. There is no 4 ms "threshold" of course and no universal definition of "fat". It's up to every single person to find his personal thresholds and limits. But you need some sort of measurements to compare with others. Sadly you don't show any. :(

Rudolf

statement "makes speaker sound like a radio". Radio can only be heard if it has a speaker.

to illustrate my point let me quote from one of earlier posts in this thread:

One example of this is the beginning of the track Wish You Were Here, from Pink Floyd's album of the same name. At the beginning, the guitar is played through (or least made to sound like) a table radio, coming from just one speaker. With the Silent Speakers, this sounds like a real table radio sitting on top of the speaker, as if it was a small table. Then, when the lead guitar starts up (a superb recording of a guitar) it sounds remarkably natural both in tone and in size, floating in space is if the guitarist was standing right there between the speakers.

it may be that You cannot understand what I am talking about because You have never heard anything like that

What kind of radio was Lyngdorf referring to? What kind of speaker was it playing through? What kind of listening environment is radio/speaker playing in?

You can send an e-mail to Mr Lyngdorf

the inclined members with desire

You mean members like You? :p

to compare with others.

to compare what? personal thresholds? what for?

c'mon Rudolf! please! Your "Every fat reflection above 4 ms robs detail" is either science or just another kind of subjective crap statement (see: Barleywater, above), isn't it?

Sadly you don't show any. :(

Rudolf

sadly others have shown and it changed nothing in the discussion because measurements are just meaningless in themselves that is without theoretical interpretation

Last edited: