THAM 15 Cutsheet

By these are the current boxes my subs are in, 82 liters tuned to 36hz, how do you guys think they would compare to the tham15 and/or ss15
THAM15 and SS15 are bigger boxes - 187 litres and 260 litres respectively
They both have a lot of output above 50hz, and drop off considerably any lower than that

Lots of noise from relatively compact boxes, but you'll have to determine if that suits your needs,

@bitSmasher wonderful so i can probably expect up to a 6db difference in loudness then with the tham or close to 9db with the ss15
Your "loudness" expectations seem to be quite inflated compared to reality :oops:.
Actual results would depend on the drivers used, cabinet volume and box tuning (Fb).
if you raised the Fb on your 82 liter boxes to match the Tham's frequency response, there would be little difference, even with the cabinet volume disparity.

Stoneeh's tests using the same driver (15LB075) in a 140L net bass reflex box with the same Fb (43Hz) as the Tham show the BR sensitivity almost +4dB @ 43Hz, the Tham only+2dB at 100Hz.
The larger JBell SS15 is the same sensitivity as the BR at 43Hz, and about +5dB at 100Hz.
Stoneeh Tests.png

10% distortion limited output for the BR, Tham and SS15 are similar, the SS15 ahead by +3-4dB other than 50-66Hz range:

Distortion limited.png

The 15LB075 driver Xmax is only 4mm, so one could expect more output from a driver with more linear excursion, but that would apply to all the different cabinet types.
https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/tham15-a-compact-15-tapped-horn.175658/page-35
https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/pa-sub-shootout-2021.378295/

Art

Wow that's interesting, seems like if I want the most out of my 15s output wise I would have to go for the ss15.
Without the TS parameters of your "HP Audio PA400", can't say if the SS15, or any other cabinet will get the most out of them.
At 36Hz Fb, likely you have them tuned below their FS.
In your small box you could probably get ~6dB more out of them just by raising the Fb to ~45Hz.

DIY boat fiberglass work nothing to do with PA Sub Enclosures.
Community Light and Sound's (and my own) cabinets in the 1970s were built using the same fiberglass principles used in boat building.
Showco and dB sound (both acquired by Clair Brothers sound) covered plywood cabinets in fiberglass, as were my cabinets from 1980-1992.
Clair Brothers, now Clair Global, the largest sound company in the world, used foam core as used in boat and surfboard construction to save weight in their S4 cabinets. Replacing the plywood back with the foam core knocked off 40 pounds of weight, about 10%.
Sound Image joined the Clair Global Group last summer.
In the 1980s, Sound Image built entire sound systems using foam core, surfer culture..

Fiberglass, epoxy or polyester resin, foam core material and intensive labor construction costs are why there are few examples now, but from a stiffness to weight ratio the construction beats plywood by a huge margin.

Art

Reactions: 2 users
Fiberglass, epoxy or polyester resin, foam core material and intensive labor construction costs are why there are few examples now, but from a stiffness to weight ratio the construction beats plywood by a huge margin.

Art
Thats my point, we are in 2024
The 80's was 40 years ago.
La400 plywood
Sb1000 plywood
Ks28 plywood
Srx700 plywood
Srx800 plywood
Srx900 plywood
And I can go on and on
Manufacturers only did those techniques to not financial success.

Money matters and you can have the lowest weight cabinet but if it cost more than plywood, guess what the market will buy?

Yes S4 series use those weight saving techniques and save 10% weight but the price is not 10% of the other manufacturers and that's why only some of the largest production companies use them not all, small and medium operators do not use Claire Global.

My question to Randy was for him to show the plans of 8mm PA subwoofer cabinet, that him failed to show, only to state that he built fiber boats?

There is people that like to get In to an argument just for the fun of trolling around.

Hey guys I took a pic of the back of my subs when I was reconing them today.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2024-01-31 at 8.59.47 PM (1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-01-31 at 8.59.47 PM (1).jpeg
    104.7 KB · Views: 32
  • WhatsApp Image 2024-01-31 at 8.59.47 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-01-31 at 8.59.47 PM.jpeg
    107.3 KB · Views: 31
  • WhatsApp Image 2024-01-31 at 8.59.48 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-01-31 at 8.59.48 PM.jpeg
    353.1 KB · Views: 34
I had a quick look, and found this trail of breadcrumbs...

Product catalogue excerpt, that references hpaudio.biz: https://literature.puertoricosupplier.com/039/PC39057.pdf

Using the Wayback machine that shows the site was last maintained in 2008 - later entries are just the domain listed for sale: https://web.archive.org/web/20211101000000*/www.hpaudio.biz

1706767074287.png

Doesn't look like there's much info out there...
Coincidentally I was playing in HornResp last night, modelling the THAM15 and larger variants (pushing dimensions to 50w x 60d x 75h to better suit my needs), and thought it'd be an idea to do some "due diligence" and model a reflex box of similar to sense check my ideas. This is all anecdotal since I didn't save the files or capture screenshots.

The THAM15 and resized variants were very sensitive to driver inputs, as expected the design wants a specific range of T/S specs to perform optimally.
I'd selected an "ideal" 15" driver to reference in the resized THAM, and compared a fairly affordable 18" driver in the reflex of same volume, and found there wasn't much difference in the plotted outputs for the same power input, with both of them tracking low frequency response within a few dB - very surprising!
Of course it's not quite like-for-like given the larger driver in reflex, but also note the 18" driver is cheaper and lighter than the "ideal" 15" driver to suit THAM and reflex is a simpler build with more tolerance for variance in T/S specs.

Something to consider, that follows what weltersys was suggesting - perhaps a redesigned reflex box will give you more output from your current drivers.
It'll be a safer bet than putting an unknown quantity in a tapped horn design that wants a driver of a specific spec.

Last edited:
I'd selected an "ideal" 15" driver to reference in the resized THAM, and compared a fairly affordable 18" driver in the reflex of same volume, and found there wasn't much difference in the plotted outputs for the same power input, with both of them tracking low frequency response within a few dB - very surprising!
Not really, box size sets low corner limit. ;)

Attachments

• 0Vented Box ref. eff. limits.PNG
    0Vented Box ref. eff. limits.PNG
    25.8 KB · Views: 32