TH-18 Flat to 35hz! (Xoc1's design)

Okay gettin there! Cut out the brace using the spare wood, yes it was a pain in the ***! Please excuse the cuts I know they look like a 3 year old cut them out, my jig saw sucks, as do my jig saw skills lol
photo25os.jpg

^as you can see i have the speaker on a movers dolly because it's killing my back trying to lift this thing up and move it around in my tiny workspace!

Last edited:
Yeah i can put those in after the side is glued on. I don't think i need a ton of bracing, correct? one should suffice just to stop the flexing...?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but danley's sub doesn't have a large brace down the center like this one, does it? Any insight as to why he doesn't use one? I don't think he is using a superior material....

Some use aluminium pipes with 'draadeind' (sorry that's dutch but I haven't a clue for the English word) in them.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

That way the diameter is the smallest and you have a easy way to fix the bracing with it. The pipes will keep the inner distance perfect and choose shallow end nuts (you can make them drop in the wood, sorry for the English again) and something like 2 component machine glue for both nuts to fix them from the outside.
In other words: nut, side wall left, pipe, middle bracing, pipe, side wall right, nut and then the 'draadeind' trough all of them...... pffffffffff....and some rings....

With wooden 'broomsticks' use at least 3,5cm (35mm) but make sure you glue them and fix them with extra long screw bolts (pre-drill the wood to prevent splitting) from the outside. If you don't want them to go trough the bracing in the middle, you can use a two tapped end screw type (connecting screws? two side screws?:dunno:)

Last edited:
Bracing the mouth

Hi Y'all,

Nice job! :)

I would suggest using three sideways braces, two up front, and one behind the driver.

Maybe schedule 120 1/2" PVC pipe (O.D. .840 / I.D. .480 / Wall .170 nom.) w/ a 3/8-16 allthread? Or just 3/4" - 1" wood dowels with #12 wood screws?

Regards,

Hi All
3 screen prints showing the TH 18 being blown apart with internal pressure on the panels
First without no ties
Second with 2 ties as Djims suggestion
Third with 2 ties and some double material added to the speaker base.
The pressure is consistent for all 3 sims the telling parameter is the scaling factor used. The last sim shows deformation of less than one third of the first.

Attachments

• TH18 No Mouth Reinforcement.jpg
    TH18 No Mouth Reinforcement.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 1,808
  • TH18 2 Mouth Ties.jpg
    TH18 2 Mouth Ties.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 1,785
  • TH18 2 Mouth Ties Double Base Panel.jpg
    TH18 2 Mouth Ties Double Base Panel.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 1,728
Small detail difference. In case you are going to use an enforced grill place the first 'tie' ('bar') almost 1/2 way between the grill and the bar that is crossing the middle brace.

Pink = attachments for grill points
Red = attachments for 'ties' ('bars')

Hotspots_01.jpg

Last edited: