TH-18 Flat to 35hz! (Xoc1's design)

Martin is this one brace good enough? or should i add all the other braces as originally suggested earlier in the thread...

I would add some more braces to the internal panels - try to keep decent sized cut outs in the panels. The rear brace is fairly heavy to strengthen the bottom panel, and the lower reflector, where you might want to fit castors.
The inner braces are to stop vibration in the panels but are not so structural.
You also might want to concider small handle sized cutouts in the rear panel behind the area of the top reflector. If you fit castors this would help with wheeling them around.
The 2 unused areas on sheet 1 and sheet 2 of the cut sheet drawing should be big enough for the bracing material.
Good luck with your build.
Regards
Martin

Thanks! I did some more work on the first one today....the second one should come out better because I know all the little tricks now!
here are a few pics of today's work..

test fitting the driver to the baffle with bolts
photo18wh.jpg

getting started on measurements and sketching out the pattern
photo19vm.jpg

some of the bracing i added to hopefully stop the panels from flexing/vibrating individually...
photo20j.jpg

andddd we're almost there! still need to cut the large brace that martin posted, but i put in enough work for today!
photo21ma.jpg

anddd one more view..
photo22iy.jpg

Last edited:
by the way...this thing is getting heavy! its gunna be fun to try and move this around :/
You wanted something that goes deeper in response!:D

Btw I have a tip for you, next time when you buy premium selected Baltic don't accept sheets with such big "wood knots" (correct English word?). It is the light wood marquetry (correct English word?) you can see on picture 2 just left of the paper (and in the mouth in pic 4). No, it doesn't make a difference for performance in this case but it could become a weak spot when you need to cut trough it. The risk is that when it ends up at the edge of a panel it could come off.

For the rest it is looking very good! :up:

Last edited:
You wanted something that goes deeper in response!:D

Btw I have a tip for you, next time when you buy premium selected Baltic don't accept sheets with such big "wood knots" (correct English word?). It is the light wood marquetry (correct English word?) you can see on picture 2 just left of the paper (and in the mouth in pic 4).

Ahh, yes - the 'footballs' ;)

Lookin good though, m R g S r.

What engines are you swapping? What chassis?

And I assume Honda B series ;) EG/EK/DA/DC/EP?

thanks guys! i didn't see the questions before crescendo....i wasn't ignoring you lol

I was just doing a swap for my friends gf she spun a bearing on her single cam. I haven't done any real swaps since i had my last EK, that was turbo with an LS motor and GSR tranny. The EG/EK are so easy to work on compared to when I had to do stuff to my s2000, that was so tight with all the turbo stuff in there! after shredding 2nd gear and going through the PITA tranny swap, i said goodbye to the modded Honda thing and picked up a c6 vette. Haven't looked back since! :D i just never drive it, i have been obsessed with audio stuff for the last few months, so no time for the cars lol i do have a nice big paxton 1500 blower waiting to go on the vette...just need to stop spending money on audio stuff and put some time into that!

Last time I did a Honda swap was for a CRX about 5 yrs ago :p I know exactly what you mean about tight fit - my last ride was a 91 MR2 turbo - zero room in the engine compartment. Found out the downpipe frees up a ton of space right when I was gettin ready to sell it... smh. I've now got an S15 SR20DET (6 spd) powered '91 240SX. Spraying my new bumpers and side skirts right now. Almost done tuning my Power FC. Boost is SO addicting - AND expensive. If you can manage to stay out of it, fuel economy is terrrrific. Preppin to sell IT to get a used full-size truck or mid-size truck & trailer. I'd love to find a 90's pick-up/SUV w/great fuel economy (is that an oxymoron??) :warped:

I'm diggin jbell's set-up, but that's not in the cards for me, atm.

Cars and audio equipment have always been a tug-of-war for me. Looks like audio is nudging ahead.

Thanks! I did some more work on the first one today....the second one should come out better because I know all the little tricks now!
here are a few pics of today's work..

test fitting the driver to the baffle with bolts
photo18wh.jpg

getting started on measurements and sketching out the pattern
photo19vm.jpg

some of the bracing i added to hopefully stop the panels from flexing/vibrating individually...
photo20j.jpg

andddd we're almost there! still need to cut the large brace that martin posted, but i put in enough work for today!
photo21ma.jpg

anddd one more view..
photo22iy.jpg
good work m8 :cool:

nicee! and yes it is possible, it's called a diesel! 700 ft lbs + 20 mpg highway with a 6000lb truck

Now... not all diesels are 700ft.lbs... case in point. (1985 woo hoo!! with a diesel 700r4 swapped in place of the TH450 so that I could stand the 4.1 gears....)

but it does get 20.

Anyway, back on topic. Let me know weight-wise how this fares compared to a pair of ss15's.. And yes, great construction !!!

Attachments

• Picture 466a.JPG
    Picture 466a.JPG
    35.9 KB · Views: 136
I know, i was referring to *most* newer diesels, like the 6.7L powerstroke, 735 ft lbs and should get 20mpg no problem. i want :D

yes back on topic, i will get some weight numbers as soon as they are all braced and buttoned up. i'm guessing, just guessing, that it will be 160lbs or so when finished. no where near as manageble as the ss15. i brought the black ss15 to the beach with me the other week and i walked 200 yards with it in the sand carrying it by the basket of the speaker, it was no problem at all. no way in hell i would even be able to carry this thing a quarter of that distance!

The CAD says about 50KG of timber (110lbs) - Depends on the density of the timber!
Fitting castors to the back bottom reflector would be handy, along with some handholds cut in the back panel behind the top reflector. This was my main reason for having the top back reflector in place when I first set out the cab. It isn't going to help on the beach much though.:rolleyes:
My first ever horn cabs were massive 18" Fane FLH cabs (the biggest plans in the old fane cabinet book) they took 4 people to get them up and down sets of stairs.......

nooo these aren't for the beach! i made a radio with ss15's strictly for the beach. this is for PA, 110 volt stuff. I plan on renting it to my friends when they want to throw parties (just a few bucks here and there to help lighten the load on my pockets) and they play house/techno all EDM stuff, hence the want for 35hz.

I'm working on tracing out the main brace now, thats the last thing to do before sealing up the first cabinet. And I cut all the stuff for the second cabinet and started gluing some things together. Hopefully they will be done after this weekend and I can start using them! (but for some reason i think i'm gunna need 4 hehe)