Texas Instruments TAS5261

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi ST,
You're barking up the wrong tree :)
What I know about PWM amplification can be engraved on a TAS5261 in 20 point bold letters....

I think a standalone version would be nicest for us hobbiests.
I wonder if we could get the guys from 41hz interested, their tripath solutions are truly extra-ordinary and elegant....

Regards
Jan

Hello Sproggit,

You're right it will be a standalone concept. Based on TAS5518 and TS5261. The inputs of the system will be modulair boards (analog or digital inputs).

All the sub systems are already tested all I need to do know is to redesign it into good workable modules. See it as a base board with the amp modules plugged onto it. The input modules are changeable so you could decide for yourself what type of input you like.

I don't know much about the guys from 41Hz but I will look into it to see what you mean.

Regards,

ST

Attachments

• tas5261 power amp concept.jpg
    tas5261 power amp concept.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 1,270
We all here have the good TAS5261 board designed and produced by Brian (member BRWX) in a small group buy.

I think we all are interested to TAS5518, as the pcb mentioned has connectors for an external module like this.

Why not then only a TAS5518 module?

DSP for digital 2-3 ways crossover would have a larger audience, and would alone rise interest for a pure digital source.

Take a look to this thread. A guy here completed a whole digital chain, but with analogue XO.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1066899#post1066899

my project

Hi,
after seven months, here is my TAS5261 stereo amplifier.
I made the pcboard in protel.
It has an analog input with PCM1802 converter and TAS5010 PCM/PWM converter. It has also the original tas5518 design from TAS5518-5261K2EVM. And a direct PWM.

With analog input it works fine, but the channel with bigger coils does have very big attenuation on the signal. One day I'll replace the coils.
On the "good" channel, the second order THD is about 69dB... not bad.. I think.

Hope you like it :p

Attachments

• tas5261 stereo.jpg
    tas5261 stereo.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 1,238
yes, but i did not test them. this board is a 1/3 part of a final course work. i did not needed the S/PDIF input, so i did not test them and did not had the time for it, but my teatcher wanted the S/PDIF too.

I can't post a better pict because the maximum file size is 100k. Sorry.
But if you want, i can send for you email :)

" ... there is plenty of SPDIF->I2S converters, or USB->I2S converters. ..."

Was hoping you guys would get a little closer to a more viril interface. It is almost a given among music professionals that USB is a waste of time, literially, mostly because USB bandwidth is almost too anemic to pass quality multichannel 96K, let alone 192K. :confused:

FastEddy said:
" ... there is plenty of SPDIF->I2S converters, or USB->I2S converters. ..."

Was hoping you guys would get a little closer to a more viril interface. It is almost a given among music professionals that USB is a waste of time, literially, mostly because USB bandwidth is almost too anemic to pass quality multichannel 96K, let alone 192K. :confused:

Off topic

My favorites piano concertos are not multichannel nor sampled at 192K. While waiting for better digital formats, I agree, we have to waste time with 16/44.1.

I can't find any doable Firewire project and, on the other hand, Digidesign, E-mu, Roland and other pro manufacturers offer now USB interfaces.

/Off topic

Nelson,

are you going to share with us your project?

" ... My favorites piano concertos are not multichannel nor sampled at 192K. While waiting for better digital formats, I agree, we have to waste time with 16/44.1. ... I can't find any doable Firewire project and, on the other hand, Digidesign, E-mu, Roland and other pro manufacturers offer now USB interfaces. ..."

I used to believe that single instrument solo albums did not have to be recorded or listened to at higher rates than 44K or 48K.

Last year I bought Muddy Waters' "Folk Singer" DVD-A transposed from the original Chess master tape to 192k digital ... I am never going back to CD "quality", except for the overly compressed crapola I give to my wife for the convertable car equipment ... When the wind is in your hair and the bugs are in your teeth, it doesn't matter how good the background noise is.

But for the best listening experiences, 96k 5.1 or better is the only way to fly. :eek:

(I too am constantly looking for decent FireWire equipment, 'cause it my job. I don't believe that USB is viral enough to do 192k ... so ... Mercinary Announcement: This is my responnsibility = http://firewirestuff.com, http://usbstuff.com and more. Please let me know if you see any decent audio equipment for FireWire ... the best for the money so far IMHO is from http://echodigital.com AudioFire2 and AudioFire4 ... but then we are distributors, so what do we know?)

FastEddy said:
... I am never going back to CD "quality", except for the overly compressed crapola I give to my wife for the convertable car equipment ... When the wind is in your hair and the bugs are in your teeth, it doesn't matter how good the background noise is.
[/B]

... after copying CDs in 320kbps I won't be going back to 128 or 192 either :)

" ... after copying CDs in 320kbps ..."

Copying at a hugher speed/bandwidth does not necessarily mean that the playback speed/bandwidth will be improved ... In the case of 16bit/44.1k or 16bit/48k CDs, playback bandwidth may then be "set" to a higher value as well, but the source material will not change or be improved one wit = the digital content can not be expanded , it can only be "enhanced" with digital filler in the form of extra "blank" bits.

Also the garbage in is still going to be the same garbage out ... if the material was compressed as it often is, any digital enhancements will also enhance the compression ... :eek:

Also internet radio is often available above 192k bandwidth ... whether 24bit or something else is not always evident.

FastEddy said:
" ... after copying CDs in 320kbps ..."

Copying at a hugher speed/bandwidth does not necessarily mean that the playback speed/bandwidth will be improved ... In the case of 16bit/44.1k or 16bit/48k CDs, playback bandwidth may then be "set" to a higher value as well, but the source material will not change or be improved one wit = the digital content can not be expanded , it can only be "enhanced" with digital filler in the form of extra "blank" bits.

Also the garbage in is still going to be the same garbage out ... if the material was compressed as it often is, any digital enhancements will also enhance the compression ... :eek:

Also internet radio is often available above 192k bandwidth ... whether 24bit or something else is not always evident.

Sure, it was only a revelation to discover 320kbps mp3s compared to 128 ;)

None of the stations I listen to broadcast higher than 192, most are 128 ...

I'm certainly looking forwards to the day when higher grade recording formats becomes the norm.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.