Testing vs listening

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
gedlee said:
And none of this has anything to do with loudspeaker design or evaluation.

Exactly. And I'm still trying to find a post in here that is a direct response to the original question:

"Has anyone had a "conflict" between what test's good (imperical) and what sounds good (subjective)? And did the test indicate the characteristic that caused the conflict?"

I haven't seen a Yes or a No.

electroaudio said:

Musicians has a very well trained filter in their ears/brains that will filter out everything that they dont want to hear so they can hear each detail clear as a day.

And to get back on topic, this filter is also the problem when we want to evaluate speakers by hearing. At the same time that we try to hear that something is wrong, the ear also tries to compensate for the errors.

Interesting you mention this. In New Zealand there is a speaker designer that has suffered some damage to his brain, thus is unable to do this compensation anymore. As a result he is able to hear many more artifacts and levels of distortion than the majority of us can, all of which can cause him great distress. He only became a speaker designer after the accident. A true case of making lemonade out of lemons.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
sdclc126 said:

"Has anyone had a "conflict" between what test's good (imperical) and what sounds good (subjective)? And did the test indicate the characteristic that caused the conflict?"

You mean like when you hear nothing but superlatives about a hifi component like a speaker or amp and it really doesnt sound much special when you finally get to hear it, or even worse...seems to be more like a rule than the exception

gedlee said:

I heard "Yes" and "No". Are you looking for a concensus? That you will never get.

Heh - no not looking for consensus, I know better.

cathode_ray's second question was "And did the test indicate the characteristic that caused the conflict?" So I was looking for a specific example.

But if I interpret his question correctly I don't think such a thing is possible, because the subjectivity component of the question negates the question itself.

sdclc126 said:

Exactly. And I'm still trying to find a post in here that is a direct response to the original question:

sdclc126 said:

Heh - no not looking for consensus, I know better.

cathode_ray's second question was "And did the test indicate the characteristic that caused the conflict?" So I was looking for a specific example.

But if I interpret his question correctly I don't think such a thing is possible, because the subjectivity component of the question negates the question itself.

You did not read correctly... Yes/No by all ................................

For the record- Yes everything you hear will show in the measurements , yes something will be different .

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
zBuff said:

Interesting you mention this. In New Zealand there is a speaker designer that has suffered some damage to his brain, thus is unable to do this compensation anymore. As a result he is able to hear many more artifacts and levels of distortion than the majority of us can, all of which can cause him great distress. He only became a speaker designer after the accident. A true case of making lemonade out of lemons.

Beethoven was deaf.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.