Test your ears in my new ABX test

Have you been able to discern the files in an ABX test?

• Yes, I was able to discern the files and have positive result

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • No, I was not able to discern the files in an ABX test

Votes: 12 80.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Whoa ! Now that sounds just like a chronically under biased output stage with a large discontinuity around the crossover point.

This is really interesting with regard to the Texan and it seems as though this distortion could be a characteristic.

I've repeated the pure tone test with a simulation of my amp and I don't see anything like we are seeing with the Texan, which seems to show the simulation is possibly more accurate than we would have suspected. It really does seem to be adding all this junk on its own.

Creating a .wav from the simulation of my amp shows 'zero' artefacts of the kind we have seen above when I view it in Audacity which is like a double proof the idea works. So the PC isn't adding anything of its own to this.

All the artefacts you show from my Texan files, I see even using Audacity. Its bad :D

Attachments

• FV FFT.JPG
    FV FFT.JPG
    178.5 KB · Views: 128
  • FV FFT Sim.JPG
    FV FFT Sim.JPG
    185.4 KB · Views: 126
  • Texan FFT.JPG
    Texan FFT.JPG
    225.1 KB · Views: 122
I listened on the DAW computer. It sounds like cc has slightly more HF distortion than oo (in the frequency range I can still hear). But, it is slight and probably easy to loose track of in repeated listening as ear fatigue sets in.
I got a 10/10, a nine and then an eight, agree cc is dirtier, and the bass is different.
Boredom with the music (Steely Dan is not my favorite, and I have never liked the recording/mix....and it's not all that clean despite having been used as a demo track since forever) and confusion about which track is which sets in...ie can hear the difference but assign it wrongly.
A few shorter sessions might be better than one long one.

Dan.

Dan, thanks for the update. Would you like to say what hardware you used for listening? Headphones, speakers, CD player, computer sound card, etc.,? Even cables, if you think that might be important?

Also, no doubt PMA would appreciate if you would post your ABX test result printouts from Foobar.

Low bias vs normal bias and low bias vs the original mono mix file. Ho hum...

These were two consecutive runs, nothing discarded in between. Laptop and headphones for this one.

Impossible to discern to me too.
With the tone track was very easy but not with music.
When I know the track is playing I'm sure which is which but when I run the ABX test I fail.

Attachments

• Mooly_ABX2.jpg
    Mooly_ABX2.jpg
    197 KB · Views: 121
  • Mooly_ABX3.jpg
    Mooly_ABX3.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 115
Dan, thanks for the update. Would you like to say what hardware you used for listening? Headphones, speakers, CD player, computer sound card, etc.,? Even cables, if you think that might be important?

Also, no doubt PMA would appreciate if you would post your ABX test result printouts from Foobar.
$5.00 USB dac plugged into Laptop > El cheapo 3.5mm-2RCA cable > Yamaha receiver > Stax electrostatic heaqdphones.

Please post your results here as the text output from the ABX software. Otherwise it's not fair to claim 10/10.
I was doing it for quick bit of Friday night/bottle of red fun, got bored with it, didn't bother to save the results.
If I do it again I will try loudspeakers also....IME direct/reflected/room sound shows up slight differences, more especially bass differences better than headphones.

You're sure?
Yes. Subjectively cc slight overall dirt/noise, bass doesn't go quite so deep and has slight 'boomy' quality, oo sounds smoother/muted in comparison/less 'shouty', less 'scattered'.

Dan.

dac 01.jpg

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.