Test LP group buy

But all of these things are within our grasp, if we choose, working with mastering RIAA on - just by precompensating our digital masters.

OK, this seems to be an important point that we need clarification on. Pano maybe you should address this by itself with GZ and make it clear with probably an example of an exact case. LD could you help pick one, I'm assuming for instance the set of G force tracks wants to force a particular groove shape?

My read is still that what they want is a description of what we expect out of an ideal cartridge/RIAA and their software generates the waveforms for the lathe. That is a triangular groove is described by a square wave/IRIAA (I think?).

not sure if this was mentioned as an idea...can the records have a 45 rpm single size hole? all sorts of easy cheap possibilities open up then for centering.

Yes, but the problem is still the feedback mechanism for doing the centering, most (trial and error) are very tedious. There is a member here that had an eccentric 45 insert device machined so that simply recording the angle for each LP centered it perfectly.

OTOH you make make a very valuable point if we asked for a 45 rpm hole defaulting to a 45 rpm insert to use the disk is not an imposition for most people. I have a nice machined metal one in my kit.

Last edited:
I'm assuming for instance the set of G force tracks wants to force a particular groove shape?
A triangle grooveshape does it nicely- the curvature of apexes determines acceleration, the angle of straights determines velocity. Very tidy and easy. In a velocity sensitive cartridge it plays back as a square wave whose amplitude is determined by the straight groove angle, and the slew rate of edges is determined by the curvature of groove apexes.

I think we're better not to use their software, at least as a default, or at least until we understand it well.

LD

Yes this makes it very clear, but I still can't help but think this stuff just makes the recording engineer's eyes glaze over.
Oh yes, there's no reason to present anything like this to mastering engineers. It's just for us in the preparation of digital test files. And besides, I'm immune: my eyes are permanently glazed over by now.

But it's everso simple and easy for us, is my point.

And a practical note is this illustrates the square law relationship between stylus G force and inverse of track radius from the spindle, for a given slew rate of programme material. Another reason inner tracks are tricky to master and playback, and can need acceleration limiting and/or level reduction for real programme content.

LD

Yes, worthwhile for the memories alone, for sure. The art lies in the ears, and the craft in application of the tools. I wouldn't really expect profound technical interest in the maths/physics of matters. I spent a short time with a world class mastering engineer a few years back, and that was the impression I gained. One is not going to discuss how brushes work with Van Gogh.......

BTW, quality of vinyl mastering from back in the day is the best reason to invest time and effort in quality of playback - and is the key advantage over digital media, IMO, despite obvious permanent technical disadvantages.

LD

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
My read is still that what they want is a description of what we expect out of an ideal cartridge/RIAA and their software generates the waveforms for the lathe.
I see this as an option they offer, that's all. It's not something we have to do.

I think we're better not to use their software, at least as a default, or at least until we understand it well.
Indeed. There may be advantages to using their software, but we don't know what they are. We do know some of the disadvantages, tho. I'll ask for further details of what they do, and if it carries any advantages over signals generated by the customer.

The last couple of days have inspired me to try any make a trip up to Portsmouth NH to visit Bob Ludwig at Masterdisk and see if I can get any pointers from him on our project.
That would be very nice. I hope you can arrange it.

Lucky can you generate one of your signals, or give me details and I'll do it? So that we know what we are looking at for mastering.

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Hi Pano,
Just in case there is still a need for european distribution, i will offer my help.

My last group buy involved shipping 700+ Paradise PCBs, most with components / heatsinks / clips, so i guess i knowhow that works :D

Of course i would also like to buy some..... :D

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Could you please check international shipping rates from Germany? I tried to do this myself, but don't speak German. Thus I got rates too good to believe. :)
Figure a package 320x320x25mm and 500g. I think that's about right.

Anyone else can jump in with shipping rates from your country.

From the USA to Germany is at least $20 or over $40 for priority. Yikes!

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Could you please check international shipping rates from Germany? I tried to do this myself, but don't speak German. Thus I got rates too good to believe. :)
Figure a package 320x320x25mm and 500g. I think that's about right.

Anyone else can jump in with shipping rates from your country.

From the USA to Germany is at least $20 or over $40 for priority. Yikes!

Looks like international shipping from Germany comes in at 9 euros (see picture for definition what parcel this refers to - can be up to 2000grams, all dimensions added should be less than 90cm, so that would fit nicely).

Insurance (delivery against signature only, value up to 50 euro) will cost €2,20 extra (EU) or € 3,20 (WW)

Attachments

• DHL shipping.png
    DHL shipping.png
    294.6 KB · Views: 181