Test LP group buy

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I would definitely grab a couple for myself and might potentially be able to persuade others to give me money for a few more.

I self financed my last group buy and collected the funds just before I shipped out the boards and transformers, this is the cheapest and least complicated way to go, but depends very heavily on everyone trusting each other, and a willingness on the part of the fellow fronting the money to risk his funds.. (You can also collect in advance which is what I recommend)

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi sottomano,
Personally, I don't need any track that could be easily damaged for no useful information. I honestly don't see any use in testing that parameter. The information in the datasheet for that cartridge should be enough. You're not going to run into the limits of your cartridge to track. If you have a tracking problem, it will show up as distortion on a normal track at high (normal) levels, and that would be a concern.

I could go for 5 at $65. I have a friend who would gladly take one off my hands.

-Chris

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
180g vinyl isn't necessarily technically better. I believe I have at least one paper about this. I'll look it up and post it.

Yes that is true and more so for 200 - 220gm vinyl. It just looks better. I think 140gm is considered a bit of a sweet spot, not as floppy as the lighter 120gm pressings. I believe part of the problem with the heavier biscuits is that the additional mass makes it more difficult to achieve optimum temperature and pressure during pressing.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
With some geometries it seems to be. (The shibata, blah, blah, blah..lol) I try to compromise by setting VTA using a record in the middle of the range of the ones I have.

I am not convinced there is a universally correct VTA setting even for records of the same thickness, although the range is probably pretty narrow.

I plan to add a VTAF on the Schick in the not too distant future which allows on the fly adjustment.

The Article had this one interesting statement:
"..., aber Kai Seemann hat andere Erfahrungen gemacht: „1993 habe ich bei Pallas verschiedene Alben jeweils als 140-, 150- und 180-Gramm-Version pressen lassen: Innerhalb der Gewichtsklassen waren die Unterschiede in puncto Verwellung viel größer als zwischen den Klassen"."

"but Kai Seemann made different experiences: "1993 I had different albums pressed at Pallas each in a 140-, 150- and 180-gram-version: within the weight classes the differences regarding warping were much bigger than between the classes."

Kai Seeman is the boss of Speaker's Corner Records, an audiophile label, Pallas is a highly regarded German pressing plant.

This is qoted from Stereo magazine issue 1/2017.

Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
I plan to add a VTAF on the Schick in the not too distant future which allows on the fly adjustment.

I'm planning the same upgrade for my SME 309 (and I know you are not fond of that generation). It's slightly kludgy in that you have to loosen the clamp and to go down you still have to push, but at least its calibrated*. The audiomods setup is nicer in that respect. Of course ideal would be remote control from the listening position. Air tangent used to do it.

*It's also a bit pricey but does give me a damping trough. Seen as the AT-150 is going on there soon I'll probably need that.

Oh and another vote for 140g

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Somewhere in GZ documents I remember seeing that 180g has more surface noise. No idea why that would be. We do want flat, so whatever gets us the flattest disk. The heavy weight vinyl is 65 cents a disk more, so not a cost problem if we want it.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I have contacts to a mastering facility in Berlin. They offer half speed mastering and their engineer has experience starting at the Deutsche Grammophone. If there is interest I could talk to him about the project to get a master for the European pressing done.
Yes, please do! Getting direct contact with an engineer is very valuable. Let's see what someone else can do for us. Thanks.