Terry Cain's BIB -why does it work and does anyone have those Fostex Craft Handbooks?

panomaniac said:
Was more hoping to find a nice 12 or 15 to go in a BIB and mate up with my Altec 811 horns. Not as "point source" as the Altec Coax, but might be very good, none the less. 811 horns would need minimum of 12" depth, though. Unless I get "tricky."

Just how big would this Altec BIB have to be?

Greets!

IIRC, your room isn't large enough for two. Ditto using Altec woofers in a BIB. As far as woofers mating to the 811, haven't we already been down this 'road'?

GM

Scottmoose said:
............of Dark Side of the Moon. No, FR drivers (no FR driver) can do dynamics anything like a good 3 way horn loaded setup (VOTT anyone?).............

..........Rick Wakeman...............

Greg -you've got me to the point where I'm thinking 604s will have to be my next port of call. Unfortunately, I don't have any children that I can sell to laboratories for research purposes............

Greets!

Rick Wakeman, now there's a 'blast from the past'! His 'Wive's of Henry VIII' was one of my reference vinyls (along with DSOTM) until Altec came out with a demo that had a re-EQ'd version of 'Catherine Howard' on it that blew it away. More than one so-called $high end$ speaker system was reduced to rubble with it.

I know the problem well......... :(

GM

Re: Off topic a bit...Hemp

lousymusician said:
They sound a bit bright, singers sound too 'nasal', but that's smoothing out day by day.

.........but the balance is a little hot. I'm trying to be patient as they break in, but I do wonder if a mild treble shelf / BSC circuit will be required in the end. Or a little damping on the whizzer.

Every so often I hear someting from them that makes me turn around and stare slack jawed at the space between the speakers.

Greets!

It's the 'shouting' of the too 'hot' FR that does this. This is an acoustic, not electrical, problem, so once you're satisfied they're broken in, then use a mechanic's stethoscope to find the hot spots and deal with them.

GM

ultrakaz said:
GM,

Would you mind sharing your 604E TL plan? I've been looking for a good plan for years for my 604E. Thanks.

Greets!

Are you driving them with SS, or........? The increased effective Qts due to series resistance will affect the design. Regardless, the BIB is a pretty serious sub duty alignment and a 'fun' speaker for wider BW apps, but if you haven't found anything worth building after years of searching, I doubt the BIB will do it for you.

GM

dmason said:
Yes, that is Jay Fisher's Fostex Rx horn for the FE168es-r which he picked up from J.A.Pan & Co. He swears by them. Also, Jay designed the look of the Big Boppers above, and GM calc'd the load itself. It is a load based on Martin's worksheets, with porting on the bottom. The stands are things of beauty, and you cannot see the lines from the front. That pair is Jay's, I believe, which now reside in Santa Monica, at his home. I will be visiting Jay and his wife, and hearing the speakers, in January. I look forward to that listening session. I believe two pairs have been built so far.

I know Jay is eternally grateful to GM for such a successful execution of design.

Hi dmason,

Good that I saved that image. The 168ESII was the limited ed some years ago. I think he followed up on it when he found out some guy in J.A. Pan exports some for sale, and then some months later, voila! He posted the nicely finished D37k's on the 'olde parsimony' FR forum. The 168ESII would be an ultimate 6" driver BIB with dual magnets and extended HF.

The Wall-o-Sound spiral tractrix backhorn pair TC built for Gordon Rankin looks real sweet. Those limited edition drivers would be at home in that type of enclosure too. http://www.wavelengthaudio.com/wwws-fano.jpg

fred

GM said:

Greets!

Are you driving them with SS, or........? The increased effective Qts due to series resistance will affect the design. Regardless, the BIB is a pretty serious sub duty alignment and a 'fun' speaker for wider BW apps, but if you haven't found anything worth building after years of searching, I doubt the BIB will do it for you.

GM

GM,

Thanks for the response.

I use both SS and tubes, but if I have to choose I'd say tubes.

The TL for the 604E does not look that big. However, if the BIB is not much bigger I'd go for it, providing I could work out the +15" depth of the 604E driver. Mid 30Hz would be nice. And my 604E has only seen one cabinet (Bill Wood's half horn).

Regarding BIB... I had a lot of fun trying many different drivers in my 72" x 12" x 18" BIBs. You are right about BIBs really can't be big enough as my smaller drivers gave surprisingly (really) good results. I've found that I can tune the bass response simply by moving the BIBs closer to the listening position. And to compensate for the midrange dip in the larger drivers I've front loaded them. I'm about ready to move on now.....

Thanks again.

dmason said:
The hemptones' break-in was a real roller coaster ride in my experience. Sometimes they sounded just awful, and abruptly changed, and vice versa. After about +100 hours, they very suddenly smoothed out. I suspect they need upward of 1000 hours of real playing to soften up. Also, like the Sigmae, if you do not play them for a time, they become "new" again, their break in somehow will backslide. I would say they have all the resolution of the Fostex E series, possibly more, or different, a more rounded, warmer tone. More musical. This is all about TONE.

I would suggest adding some Dacron polyester fluff in behind the whizzer, maybe tying it in with dental floss. I do not think they will need any correction which negates the "active" aspect, and can wreak havoc with the sonic of most tube amps. Play around with it. It is a killer driver, properly rolled, and ignited. It will pick up some sensitivity, and you should begin to get some more grunt in the lower register in the near future.

I bet PP EL34 has some nice sparkle and spank. EL84 very very smooth with these things also. Actually, they sound damn good with any amplifier, it seems, not picky at all.

I'm on that roller coaster, just impatient to get to the next ride. Agreed that the BSC would be the last thing to try. I'll try the poly fluff this weekend, sounds like a good tweak. Just remembered, I've got a little stash of wool to use, somehow a natural material seems more in keeping with the hemp cones.

More grunt would be fine, more sensitivity I could do without. I already had to bypass the active line stage of my preamp, the sensitivity of the Hemp's brought up the noise floor of the line stage so much it was unlistenable! I'm running passive from the volume pot now and still can play way louder than I need (11' x 14' x 8' room, not a lot of volume needed).

pjanda1 said:
Which hemp driver are you using? Keep in mind that the Omega/now A Brown Sound version has a shorting ring, so it could really use a shelving circuit to knock the treble down. ...Mine are darn close to the wall, so I don't use BSC. It sure wouldn't hurt either if they are out from the wall.

These are the Hemp Acoustics FR8.0DIY's (from E-speakers.com), not the Omega version. Also running them within a few inches of the wall. I built wide, shallow cabinets with that in mind, both to get away from BSC and to gain some floor space in the room. BIB's were good for that, too (this is a BIB thread, isn't it?).

Greets!

You're welcome!

TL? I've only helped folks do MLTLs for 604s. As I indicated, the BIB lives up to its moniker, so a 15" deep driver shouldn't be a problem, though folding it to fit with the driver around ear height may be:

L = 300"
CSA = 770"^2
zdriver = 65.1"

Even this big it won't tolerate much series R if the sim is ~accurate, so I recommend SS for the woofer and tubes for the horn.

GM

Attachments

• altec 604 composite t.c. bib done in blh ws.jpg
    altec 604 composite t.c. bib done in blh ws.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 665
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
GM said:
IIRC, your room isn't large enough for two.

If the sim you posted is correct, then no, my room is not big enough for even one. No 14' ceilings here.

Ditto using Altec woofers in a BIB.

Never said they had to be Altec.

As far as woofers mating to the 811, haven't we already been down this 'road'?

Yes indeed. But there was a nasty looking bunch of natives with spears blocking the road. There was simply no pleasing them. So I took off cross country and went to the beach, instead. :cool:

Perhaps ..."inappropriate" would be a better term; Shame it is out of the question, unless someone has a school auditorium. Look at that wonderous FR plot and tell me you wouldnt WANT this to be built. Fabulous biamping with SS and tubes.

Remember, for anyone wanting to use a two way coaxial, there are units that would do the job nicely. B&C make a stunning series of 10 inch coaxials, Ciare, BMS, all have contenders whose performance parameters play into our hands, and 18Sound and Beyma both have high performance 8 inch coaxials designed for studio monitor type speakers. Maybe the Tannoy System 6-8-10-12 coaxials would be a try... Apparently, D Wiggins is working on a hemp cone 10 inch coaxial with XBL^2 motor and higher Q, but who knows. So there are alternatives, to those thinking about something more involved than a wideband driver.

Personally, I find this horn based design combined with the idea of solid state AND tube amplification, along with point source sonics, pretty sexy... the power and the glory.

I want this to be built. Oh yes. I would also like to spend the night with Polly Harvey, but sadly I suspect both will remain a dream. :bawling:

The Tannoy units in particular do look interesting. Although designed for in-wall / ceiling applications, if Tannoy have had anything to do with them, they shold be pretty good. They haven't gained the reputation they currently have by building junk. Will have to take a look at them properly at some point. As a bonus, you can claim you own a pair of Tannoy DC drivers, without stretching the truth too far. I still miss my 12in Monitor Golds.

ultrakaz said:
Whoa! That is one gigantic BIB.

Now, the MLTL must be smaller. Any dims and instructions on how to stuff it?

Thanks.

Greets!

What did you expect? A true BIB loads to an octave below Fs and all these vintage drivers have a low Fs, Qts, high Vas to keep efficiency high enough to match to low power/high output impedance systems. At ~68 ft^3 gross, it would have to be folded up similar to a K-horn and be at least 6 ft tall, but corner loaded, a pair wouldn't take up all that much usable room 'real estate', creating a 'wall of sound'. From a construction POV, it would need to be folded such that it could be tied (stacked) together vertically as three modules to make moving/installing/removing them a 'one person with a handtruck' affair through a typical width doorway.

Anyway, the room would have to be acoustically large enough to justify such a low tuning or you'd wind up attenuating too much of its sub BW output due to room gain, so the 'it's too big' argument isn't applicable per se since it's all about scale.

The MLTLs I've done range from ~10-27 ft^3 net depending on the system's output impedance and room size, etc., though obviously it can be scaled to whatever half space F3 or size you're willing to accept, so email me your performance criteria/limitations. Stuffing is minimal at most and historically folks wind up using even < what I would use or MJK's WS predict for smoothest response, so all I do is suggest a starting point and it will be up to you to find your 'optimum'.

GM

Well, as much as I would like someone to build those monsters (preferably me, but not going to happen in this incarnation :(), I knew it would probably remain a 'pipe dream' ;), so scaling it to a more typical BIB's height/F3 using SS power for the woofer:

L = 138"
CSA = ~660"^2 (recommend ~21.63" W x 30.56" D)
zdriver = 30"

Still large, but at least within the realm of possibly getting built.

GM

Attachments

• altec 604 composite - short t.c. bib done in blh ws.jpg
    altec 604 composite - short t.c. bib done in blh ws.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 653
panomaniac said:
No 14' ceilings here.

Never said they had to be Altec.

There was simply no pleasing them.

Greets!

See my folding notes in post 1635, though if my already dim memory serves me, still way too big, as is the 'short' version I recently posted.

Understood, but all drivers I feel are suitable substitutes will have similar space requirements.

Regrettably, my memory of the thread is too dim to have a clue what you're alluding to........ :(

GM

dmason said:
Remember, for anyone wanting to use a two way coaxial, there are units that would do the job nicely. B&C........

Personally, I find this horn based design combined with the idea of solid state AND tube amplification, along with point source sonics, pretty sexy... the power and the glory.

Greets!

Correctomundo, we need to use more current drivers with a higher Fs, lower Vas optimized for small cabs and ancillary sub systems, so B&C 12CXB or similar.

Yep, the best of both 'worlds' to some, though I prefer bi-amped zero -fb (or at least minimal as worst case) SS since no reasonable size/cost SET can give me truly 'live' dynamics at vanishingly low distortion.

GM

The Radian, tonally, would be spectacular in a BIB; Four years ago GM calc'd, and I built an MLTL for the Radian 508, which had a wonderful sound to it, but very little bass, and a very big 60 inch? tall cabinet. The Fs=73 on this unit.

The Tannoy iW8, or System 800, would be my vote. I suspect they are the same driver. Also, there is the Beyma 8CX with low Fs, buckets of Xmax.