Terry Cain's BIB -why does it work and does anyone have those Fostex Craft Handbooks?

A brief question:

I'm drawing on paper my BIB and as I can't find around here some Birch plywood bigger than 60"x60" and the speakers will be +/- 65" tall, I'll be using a sandwich of two different woods : okumé plywood and pear or exotic blockboard wood.

I'd like to have one "D" side not glued (instead of the bottom base) for easy tweaking or damping material filling... Anyone has experienced this? Any contraindications?

Cheers.
Ciao.Fab.

GM said:

Greets!

The major drawback is that it's hard to get a good temporary seal, so the finished product may not perform the same as your tediously found optimum.

GM

Hi GM

I see.... What if I place some sealing foam tape or similar and some dowel screws (like in the front or rear baffle of commercial speakers) until I reach the final tuning? Do you think would be enough?

Thanks. Fab.

Attachments

• example_1.jpg
    example_1.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 589
Greets!

I never had much luck with the typical foam insulating/sealing tapes found at hardware stores, etc., so used what's referred to here as Nema 4 (hazardous location) industrial neoprene door gasketing sold here at industrial electrical supply distributors for mounting large drivers, baffle boards, rear access panels, etc.. I'm sure you'll have an equivalent locally. Not cheap here and I doubt it in Italy either, but it seals really well and is rated for thousands of door closings in very toxic fumes/dusty environments, so no worries about 'crushing', rotting, etc., over the decades in a typical HIFI app. Indeed, the baffle gasketing on my old subs that I built in '69 is still relatively soft/pliable and seals well after removing/installing them twice/yr to rotate the drivers. The main thing is to not squeeze it too flat.

That said, there's been considerable materials advancements since I tried the various 'consumer' foams, so maybe you can get by using cheaper closed cell foam gasketing now, so as always YMMV.

GM

Thanks GM
I'll see if Google has something to say about, here in Italy.

Talking about stuffing materials, Lou Chochos of Omega Speakers on a Stereophile article was mentioning as using :"high-grade carpet padding - saying - ...it sounds better than everything else I tried...." (Stereophile vol27 n.11 Nov 2004)

I can't figure what kind of carpet is! Can you explain me or suggest a link where exactly I can see it? You know, sometimes It's not possible to find same materials outside USA, or not easy to translate and find the equivalent.....Italy is a strange land.....

Ciao.Fab.

P.s. Just a stupid question.... what YMMV stands for?....

Hi Scott!

You know, I thought "high-grade carpet padding" was a well known specific carpet....

In Italy, market class for carpets is "carpet" or "moquette"......made of natural cotton, or wool, or synthetic etc....simple isn't it?

So a basic translation of some technical material terms doesn't help so much.

Thanks anyway, and now I know what is YMMV!!!!

Good. Ciao.Fab.

Maybe I can help. The padding Louis seems to be referring is the stuff made up of recycled foam-of-many-colors. That medium density foam, made of dime-sized recycled bits, reformed into carpet foam padding, stuff. Recycled foam likely of various densities, and possibly this is the advantage he is referring to, possibly this non-homogenous nature of the foam's density.

It is inside a pair of Omega SuperHemps I have, and works well. Cannot hear the box resonate At All. Try it. Works for Louis.