Terry Cain's BIB -why does it work and does anyone have those Fostex Craft Handbooks?

Kids were there when she was served. Bad morning for sure. I got a call from my 13 year old son so came home to talk with him. What i found was wife and my two boys in bed crying and her cousin with her husband there to tell me how selfish i am... family wrecker and to reverse the divorce by calling lawyer. I did not make that call.

But i did leave with TB 1808's, Fostex 168s, Fostex 127e, Radio Shack 1354 (new in boxes and never used), Radio Shack Pod Super Tweeters and a couple of Vifa buyout drivers of various sizes... the modified Eminence 12lta and Alpha 15 H-frames are still in the house connected to Cary tube gear, TB Bamboo's and Fostex 165k in BIBs too... I hope to get them but not sure where to put it all since it won't fit into the trunk of my car.

These next few weeks i am sure i'll be talking to my boys and trying to soothe their souls.

Moved my OBs to parents house and setup BIBs in basement again (165k plus super tweeter on back). Not at all disappointed. Sound was full and rich. Maybe it sounded a bit smaller but it had all the back horn qualities like jump factor in spades. Compared to the Beta 12lta the Fostex 165k sounds more sibilant but after a few songs i didn't notice it anymore.

Dayton 5" full ranger in BIBs is a great speaker to rock out with. It plays bass for sure and sounds full and rich. The problem is they are rough thru the mids... NOT a smooth sounding speaker but certainly listenable and CHEAP to build. No tweeter needed. Listening to Ziggy Marley and the room is full of dynamic, detailed, full, rich sound. I could not make this driver sound any better! I have them hooked up to a Dayton T-amp and a MacBook Pro.

The Fostex 165k in it's larger BIB sounds sweeter and more detailed but not much fuller. Overall it does sound better but it costs a lot more... and the BIBs are much larger and heavier.

OT, playing my Mac Book thru my Cary tubes produces a very audible hiss... thru the T-amp there's silence. Is there any way to eliminate the hiss with the tubes?

Zilla

I'm pretty sure i wired mine in phase... positive to positive, neg to neg.

I had no power for four days (due to the storm Irene) and missed listening to music! BIBs are connected to T-amp... cheap goodness! I toggle between the Fostex 165k BIB and the really cheap Dayton BIB... the Fostex are better but i can easily enjoy music on either system. Btw, i have the older style Fostex 168s and prefer the 165 in BIBs... more expensive doesn't always mean better sound. Damn if i'll ever try a diamond coated tweeter!

I'm pretty sure i wired mine in phase... positive to positive, neg to neg.

I had no power for four days (due to the storm Irene) and missed listening to music! BIBs are connected to T-amp... cheap goodness! I toggle between the Fostex 165k BIB and the really cheap Dayton BIB... the Fostex are better but i can easily enjoy music on either system. Btw, i have the older style Fostex 168s and prefer the 165 in BIBs... more expensive doesn't always mean better sound. Damn if i'll ever try a diamond coated tweeter!

I'm sorry Zilla, i've been searching on the forum for the past 10 minutes, and googling but i dont' seem to be able to find a straight BiB design for the FE167. Am i the only one that gets a 404 Error on the BiB pages on zillaaudio.com? Or are they offline?

I'm really interested in this design and the closest thing i can get to a build design for teh 167 is MJK's study on it, which only sports hard math about it but no actual measurements :)

Any pointers would be hugely appreciated.